• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I use Dillon lube and haven't had a stuck case with it. You can make it yourself using Laonlin and Alcohol (1 part lanolin to 10 parts alcohol).

Spray on lightly, and just start sizing, no need to let it dry. Some people over on the Brian Enos forum only lubed about 10% of their cases with it, and that is enough lube to keep the die lubed. I would NOT do this, it would just worry me. :) I have a plastic shoe box sized container from Target, I dump in a few hand fulls of brass, give it 2 - 3 spritzes, and go at it. I ran about 2500 .223 cases last week without any issues.

For sticking on the expanding ball, Redding and Dillon have dies with carbide expanding balls. The Redding can be retrofitted to any of their dies. I recently got Dillon .223 dies (used RCBS before) with a carbide expander and the difference is quite noticeable. MUCH less drag when the expander comes through the neck.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    #1 What other kind of hole would you tap ... besides a threaded one?

Well, in most cases you are tapping an UNTHREADED hole to MAKE it a threaded hole. :)

Running a tap through a threaded hole is normally referred to as chasing the threads.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Stuck cases are just a memory using this:

imperial.jpg

Best stuff EVER made and I have never had a stuck case using it. That includes making 300 BLK brass and resizing 458 SOCOM.

Hornady came out with their version which I bought but haven't used yet.

But does it serve any purpose for the sizing ball to not get stuck in the case neck ?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I use Dillon lube and haven't had a stuck case with it. You can make it yourself using Laonlin and Alcohol (1 part lanolin to 10 parts alcohol).

Spray on lightly, and just start sizing, no need to let it dry. Some people over on the Brian Enos forum only lubed about 10% of their cases with it, and that is enough lube to keep the die lubed. I would NOT do this, it would just worry me. :) I have a plastic shoe box sized container from Target, I dump in a few hand fulls of brass, give it 2 - 3 spritzes, and go at it. I ran about 2500 .223 cases last week without any issues.

For sticking on the expanding ball, Redding and Dillon have dies with carbide expanding balls. The Redding can be retrofitted to any of their dies. I recently got Dillon .223 dies (used RCBS before) with a carbide expander and the difference is quite noticeable. MUCH less drag when the expander comes through the neck.

That's all fine and dandy wonderful, but, the point you are missing is the case is pulling out of the holder on the ram. Maybe the holder itself is at fault in all this mess to begin with. That thin brass lip on some cases just can't handle that return pressure.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Bold statement .... (YOU ARE WRONG) ... to the guy who thinks tapping threaded holes without lube is a standard procedure:

#1 What other kind of hole would you tap ... besides a threaded one?

#2 Standard procedure for hand tapping brass and cast iron IS to do it dry.

#3 Using a sharp tap is a given ... A quality sharp tap used for dry hand tapping brass will stay sharp and serviceable a lot longer than you or I will.

#4 Dry vs. lubed .... Topic for a different thread ....

OK!

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Dillon lube for me. I lay the cases out on an old cookie tray. A generous spray on the outside, every few cases, I spray at an angle to get inside. Let them dry thoroughly, about five minutes. That way, the alcohol evaporates, and does not take the lanolin away during the resizing.

I have done a bunch of 5.56 and 30-06. No issues to date, Dillon steel dies, not carbide.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Dillon lube for me. I lay the cases out on an old cookie tray. A generous spray on the outside, every few cases, I spray at an angle to get inside. Let them dry thoroughly, about five minutes. That way, the alcohol evaporates, and does not take the lanolin away during the resizing.

I have done a bunch of 5.56 and 30-06. No issues to date, Dillon steel dies, not carbide.

^^^ This. The only different part of my routine is I use RCBS Competition Dies for 5.56x45/.223, 7.62x51/.308 and '06, and I wipe the case neck and shoulder virtually dry, just before running them into the sizer die. (I've found this prevents any dents.)

Knock wood...... I've NEVER had a stuck case. (Watch. I'll go home and get 3 stuck, tonight.):innocent0

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    ^^^ This. The only different part of my routine is I use RCBS Competition Dies for 5.56x45/.223, 7.62x51/.308 and '06, and I wipe the case neck and shoulder virtually dry, just before running them into the sizer die. (I've found this prevents any dents.)

Knock wood...... I've NEVER had a stuck case. (Watch. I'll go home and get 3 stuck, tonight.):innocent0

This is why I was baffled by the issue with this .223 brass. After processing several thousands of brass cases in several different calibers I was totally confused. I have never had the issues with anything else like I have with this .223 reloading adventure.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No, the point is, if the expanding ball sticks, you can pull the rim off the case.

Typically, this comes from having the ball too high, so it is trying to expand the neck before the neck comes fully out of the neck sizing area.

But it can occur with an oversize expander, or a sticking on the expander for other reasons.

Therefore, the carbide expander, with less drag, is less likely to have this occur.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

But does it serve any purpose for the sizing ball to not get stuck in the case neck ?

Hmm, label on the can in the picture says "For Case Forming & Full Length Resizing."

That might be a HINT as to other use for the product.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "#1 What other kind of hole would you tap ... besides a threaded one?"

One taps an unthreaded hole to make it a threaded hole...or drills and/or retaps a threaded hole to create different diameter or pitch.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    No, the point is, if the expanding ball sticks, you can pull the rim off the case.

Typically, this comes from having the ball too high, so it is trying to expand the neck before the neck comes fully out of the neck sizing area.

But it can occur with an oversize expander, or a sticking on the expander for other reasons.

Therefore, the carbide expander, with less drag, is less likely to have this occur.

Thanks. We deduced all this many replies ago.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Hmm, label on the can in the picture says "For Case Forming & Full Length Resizing."

That might be a HINT as to other use for the product.

Your reply has nothing to do with answering my question. Your reply tells us what happens on the outside ( which we already know... again ). I asked what happens on the inside.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Just for _ _its and grins, TRY de-burring the casemouths BEFORE you size.

There MIGHT be enough of a 'burr' to prevent the expander ball from sliding out of the case, without 'hanging up', inside.

I also agree with polishing the expander ball.
    I don't recall who's dies you're using, but, there could be some tiny scratches that's causing issues.

Just for _ _its and grins..... mic the expander ball to make sure it's the correct size.
    (Stranger things have happened.)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Your reply has nothing to do with answering my question. Your reply tells us what happens on the outside ( which we already know... again ). I asked what happens on the inside.

It lubes it, prevently excessive case neck stretching (from being pulled and sized).

And if not removed, it can reduce the bullet pull, which can affect accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom