• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Measured chamber OAL on 2 ARs only to remember that anything past 2.26 won't feed in the mags lol. Changed the seating depth and cycled a few rounds to make sure they will cycle. Looked at the bullets and have some scratches on them?

Any idea as to what is causing this?
    20130922_180945-1_zpsaf97de14.jpg

After that i had a few cases to resize and a case gets stuck. I covered in lube but apparently not enough. Now stuck and I can't get it out, I guess off to forster to remove and inspect and send me the removal kit for te net time.

20130922_184944-1_zps86e74852.jpg

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I asked the same question about the first picture awhile ago and it turns out to be from the feed ramps on the barrel extension.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Your not the first to do this.

If you can still remove the de-capping rod and pin, you can drop a 3/16ths rod in and drive out the case. Hold the die in a vise.

Or you can drive it out with the de-capping rod. The rod may bend, but you can bend it back into shape.

Or just buy a new de-capping rod and sizer button. Not expensive.

RCBS makes CASE LUBE 2. Works very well. Remember: Everything is better when wet. If you feel it sticking as you're pressing it into the die, you need more lube.

I would say the dings in the bullets are from the feed lips/cuts on the barrel extension ring.

Take it easy on the crimp or you will collapse the case neck and it won't enter the chamber. No crimp will work too. The bullet won't move. Not like it will in a revolver.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Drill and tap that piece of brass, then put a 3/8" socket over the case and up against the die, then put a bolt with a few washers on it through the socket and into the tapped brass. Tighten it down and with a couple more turns on a wrench, it should come right out.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Put the die in the freezer for a while before trying to extract that case.. it'll help.. ;)

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Drill and tap that piece of brass, then put a 3/8" socket over the case and up against the die, then put a bolt with a few washers on it through the socket and into the tapped brass. Tighten it down and with a couple more turns on a wrench, it should come right out.

Thanks guys! I will give this a try, just irritating as some of you know.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    As you can tell from the replies, you are probably not the first to be frustrated by this... :lol2::lol2:

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek

This ^^ for removing the stuck case. Or you could order an RCBS stuck case remover: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/504741/rcbs-stuck-case-remover

As was said, you're not the first to get a 223 case stuck in a sizing die. With experience you'll learn how much lube to use. FL sizing a 223 case in increments rather than all at once helps minimize stuck case incidences.

Scratched bullets are no big deal. Load 'em up and shoot them.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I feel your pain... I resized some .223 brass yesterday afternoon and had to literally cut 2 brass off my sizing pin because the damned things got stuck on the sizing pin and pulled out of the bullet holder. This is what resulted in my starting the thread about sizing lube recipes. I am using the LEE .223 die set and this is the fourth time this has happened out of 235 cases. Not bad, but, a complete pain in the ass. I have tried 3-4 different lubes and I would love to know how to solve this issue. It only happens with .223 brass here.

Attachments

• DSC03188.JPG
      DSC03188.JPG
      40.3 KB · Views: 643
    • DSC03190.JPG
      DSC03190.JPG
      73.5 KB · Views: 635

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If you are using a liquid spray lube, be sure to let it dry for a bit before you start to size. Longer is better, I wait at least 5 mins after spraying the cases before I start to size the brass and it won't hurt to get a phone call and do it a half hour later.. lol

I have reloaded for many years, most of em using the RCBS stickygoo and a lube pad with no issues (other than being careful about overlubing). Now I use a liquid spray and it's easier to use, but you have to be a bit more careful. So far, I still have never stuck a case and I've resized many thousands of rounds of various calibers.

Pistols I use carbide dies, no issues there.. :lol2:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Case stuck on the decapping pin? Is it bent? That's odd.. I do deburr the flash holes, but usually after I have sized and trimmed... never had that happen before. My 223 dies are RCBS, but I use Lee dies for most all other cartridges (except 300blk rcbs again).

I know of a few that swear by Imperial Sizing Wax.. never tried it, but it may be worth a look for 223 brass.

Where was that brass last fired?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I've sized 1,500 or so 223 cases with my Forster die with zero issues. Been using hornady one shot lube, and I had just lubed the die right before this case. This is my fathers brass once fired LC military range brass, date is 07 on the case. Not sure if this one got weak from the sun beating on it for 6 years? This one baffles me...

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Where are you located?

I've had some similar issues with 308 machine gun brass and have the stuff to pull it if you don't and are local.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom