• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Not the best pic and I changed a few things. I went with a one piece 20moa mount from Larue. I had a setup with a 20moa riser and Seekins rings but liked the cleaner look of the one-piece. I also sold the Razor and got a 2 PST Gen IIs in 5-25.
    View attachment 414126
    Nice looking man cave there. My work places look like a sh*t hole. I am going to do some re-organization this Summer.

Looks like a very ergonomic rig you got there. Nice glass.

Last edited:

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Mine's a mess right now too. My wife put together a deck chair and there is crap everywhere. I asked her why she can't put the tools back where they go and she said I'm OCD. I said no, I just like to be able to find my tools when I need them.

I built the bench when wood was cheaper about 8 years ago, it's pretty solid. Built a few ARs on it.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    I have a very plain Tikka T3X with a Boyds "Varmint Thumbhole" stock and a 20" barrel, and a Nikon Monarch 3-12X scope. Nice action and trigger. I did not use pillars to bed the stock which was a big mistake. I have since got a set of pillars and it's on my to-do list to dremel out the old bedding, drill new holes and re-bed the stock. This Boyds stock has a nice finish that provides sure grip. I don't really want a 24" barrel 223 Rem rifle. I suppose though if you want a long-range varminter you need all the velocity you can get. This gun shoots well but will perform better with pillar bedding.

View attachment 414241

I don't really care for a spiral bolt. That Super Varmint though does have a nice looking stock and a two-stage trigger is a big plus. I like these Tikka T3x Compact Tactical rifles; a 20" 308 or a 24" 6.5 Creedmoor.

I have a very plain Tikka T3X with a Boyds "Varmint Thumbhole" stock and a 20" barrel, and a Nikon Monarch 3-12X scope. Nice action and trigger. I did not use pillars to bed the stock which was a big mistake. I have since got a set of pillars and it's on my to-do list to dremel out the old bedding, drill new holes and re-bed the stock. This Boyds stock has a nice finish that provides sure grip. I don't really want a 24" barrel 223 Rem rifle. I suppose though if you want a long-range varminter you need all the velocity you can get. This gun shoots well but will perform better with pillar bedding.

View attachment 414241

I don't really care for a spiral bolt. That Super Varmint though does have a nice looking stock and a two-stage trigger is a big plus. I like these Tikka T3x Compact Tactical rifles; a 20" 308 or a 24" 6.5 Creedmoor.

I totally get stock fiddling! This one I believe is pillared from the get go. The bolt is a nonissue to me. I don’t care for flare, but as long as it smooth I’m happy . That extra bbl length gets me another 200fps, though longer. That equals as you mentioned, a little more reach. It also adds a little more to the terminal ballistics of the round on game, too.

Normally for something like this I would go .30cal, however, I have an old Gemtech G5 I bought back in 2014 that I’d love use for a bolt gun in said caliber.

- Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This one I believe is pillared from the get go.
    The factory Tikka stock yes. A Boyds stock does not have pillars unless you order them as an add-on. Any center-fire rifle IMHO should have them and Boyds ought to offer those (on stocks where it makes sense) by default.

[EDIT] Actually, I checked my original Tikka stock and it does not have any metal pillars. Also, on this click on "show more features" and see the photo near the bottom of this page that shows the recoil lug. You can see the hole for the bolt to the receiver does not have a pillar.

Although if it shoots well, than who cares.

On a wooden Boyds stock, the receiver screws can compress the stock and this can impact accuracy. Not so much on a synthetic stock.

Last edited:

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Well the Sharps went for what I wanted it to. As soon as the check comes in the mail, out to a new home she goes.

Picked up some ammo while I was on my way home…

218d3ba74ef9c42b10086c17b9656966.png

Just testing weight and speed. Try to get a feel for what it will like.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Alright well, Tikka T3x SuperV in .223 headed my way. So next week hopefully! I changed gears on optics. Know a fella out in CO who does a lot of NRA Match shooting with his .223 rifles…any way, he steered me over to the Arken EP5. Pretty impressed from him and others after digging in. They have a nice kit add on for your gadgets and a discount donation deal. Any ways I went ahead and selected medium height rings. I’m not ditching the ARC’s. This is more a, hey let’s see what this height gives me on the rifle sort of deal. Awesome value for just a little extra money the 34Mm bundle.

So that’s the story. I’ll pick up the thread adapter and QD device shortly.

Ammo on hand, lots of nice weather available. Just gotta get it all here, together, and the day planned! Pics and such to come.

- Brent

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    477577a7e362246f04c41f2ba6f32933.jpg

Seems like a nice optic if feel is a judge. Glass is clear and bright! Wednesday, tomorrow the 14JUN seems to be D-Day. Rifle is set to arrive at the shop, glass and accessories are here, flash hider and thread adapter will be arriving as well. There’s a potential for a set up tomorrow, Thursday may more be like it. Looking like my Saturday coming could be range day!

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    490aaf83cc1563c0c2bf1ed6fbaa4ab0.jpg

Rifle arrived and set up went swimmingly. Rifle rises to my eye perfectly. No searching for the eye box, no alteration of head angle. Just raise up and look. Stock is very comfortable and the easy adjust comb worked like a charm.

619aded8560c1e4e55018a6899ef3d92.jpeg

Cell phone grab for now. There may be a time in the future I change out for low rings. I have a thread converter coming to turn the threads down to 1/2x28 set to arrive tomorrow. Then can attach the flash hider / QD for my can. Set to sight in this Saturday and try a couple flavors of food through it. It is without a doubt, the finest trigger I have ever encountered on a factory bolt rifle. Hands down.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    That’s a beautiful set-up.

Thanks, Doc! Honestly, I was a bit on the edge with the green stock, but as that was all the rifle came in, figured I’d be ok. It looks really good in person. A little more subdued than that cell phone picture let’s on. I was more interested in the performance I was reading about!

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Got her to the range today. Of all the ammo I took, it was liking Federal the best. The 69gr SMK best itself at 1/3” in three at 100y while the 77 grainers plugged 1/2” twice in a row and will put the bullet right where you want it. I took a zero on the 77’s but do want to buy more of each and do a head to head on them. But for factory ammo in a factory gun, with a scope I didn’t have to break the bank on? Happy camper over here. Once I truly decide on 77 vs 69, then I’ll load develop from there!

Oh did I mention?? It’s pretty darn quiet!

- Brent

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    0472a35ad8c6dd632f34219e1c2a1d58.jpg

78179b9c27ca0dd1125ac9924c182c13.jpeg

Shooting was 100y, breezy swirling wind in the clearing of the swamp forest where the range is. Beautiful Sunny, hot humid low 90’s. Front on a book bag and rear bag power at 20x.

Factory ammo in a factory gun. Testing 69 vs 77 gr SMK. Rolling with 77. Very pleased.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland

Anyone know about Alco projectiles? The SMK’s are great on paper but not game. These seem to talk a big game!

Never used alcos but I suggest you ditch the sierras and switch to Nosler. I can personally attest to their terminal performance. Jackets are thinner and softer than sierras. Shoot one of each into wet pack or water can if you doubt it.

If you want a dedicated hunting bullet, I he Nosler 64bsb has an ass BC but performs like a champ on tissue as well as most commonly encountered media like windshield glass, car body panels, and domestic residential construction. The 70 gr accubond is rated well by a guy I trust but I haven't used it personally.

The sierra 65 gamekings have done well at 22-250ai speeds. Never shot anything of consequence with them in a 223 though.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Never used alcos but I suggest you ditch the sierras and switch to Nosler. I can personally attest to their terminal performance. Jackets are thinner and softer than sierras. Shoot one of each into wet pack or water can if you doubt it.

If you want a dedicated hunting bullet, I he Nosler 64bsb has an ass BC but performs like a champ on tissue as well as most commonly encountered media like windshield glass, car body panels, and domestic residential construction. The 70 gr accubond is rated well by a guy I trust but I haven't used it personally.

The sierra 65 gamekings have done well at 22-250ai speeds. Never shot anything of consequence with them in a 223 though.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve got plenty to research in that response alone. Thank you!

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Thanks for your reply. I’ve got plenty to research in that response alone. Thank you!

The Nosler 77 custom competition bullets are pretty frangible at high velocities (I've tested impact velocities down to 22-2300 out of purposely down-loaded ammo in a carbine). Social disagreement distances the wounds are usually pretty significant. In water bags/jugs the first couple are absolutely shredded. The front portion of the bullet, sometimes all the way to the lower bearing surface area, comes apart. You find pieces of lead about the size of coarse Black Beauty abrasive and jacket frag that is even smaller. What remains as a singular mass usually yaws by the second jug due to this upset and trajectory becomes unpredictable. This is usually around 14-18" in water (which is the best case scenario, tissues are usually less impressive but still significant).

If you want to use them in deer size animals, keep away from the shoulders unless you are talking about longer ranges than I'd probably be shooting a deer with a 233. Neck shots and straight broadsides should do fine.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    The Nosler 77 custom competition bullets are pretty frangible at high velocities (I've tested impact velocities down to 22-2300 out of purposely down-loaded ammo in a carbine). Social disagreement distances the wounds are usually pretty significant. In water bags/jugs the first couple are absolutely shredded. The front portion of the bullet, sometimes all the way to the lower bearing surface area, comes apart. You find pieces of lead about the size of coarse Black Beauty abrasive and jacket frag that is even smaller. What remains as a singular mass usually yaws by the second jug due to this upset and trajectory becomes unpredictable. This is usually around 14-18" in water (which is the best case scenario, tissues are usually less impressive but still significant).

If you want to use them in deer size animals, keep away from the shoulders unless you are talking about longer ranges than I'd probably be shooting a deer with a 233. Neck shots and straight broadsides should do fine.

Thank you so much that again, I am always a high shoulder shot, but typically am pushing a 30 cal or larger through the animal. I wouldn’t be above a SC sized deer with it at all. Good to know to treat it like a bow so to say. Avoid the breaking of bones and destroy tissue. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom