• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    So I’ve decided I am selling my Shiloh Sharps and with the proceeds buy a precision .223 host for my old 5.56 can. It’s been on my wants for a while. Me and the Shiloh, probably the nicest gun I’ll own, but we just don’t jive. So on the block it goes and here’s what I am thinking.

Tikka T3x Super Varmint .223 24” 1/8
    Hawkins 34MM rings
    Primary Arms GLx 3-18x44 FFP
    I’ll need a thread adapter to turn down the threads to 1/2x28
    QD flash hider
    Turner M1907 Sling

Anyone have experience or tales to tell of this rifle? It seems to read like it’s a well performing gun.

- Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Longtime sako/tikka fan here. I like them a lot and they are one of the only factory rifles I will suggest as options to students. With that said, all my sako products achieved their accuracy guarantees and some were better. Most of the stock tikkas I have worked with/on have been 3/4moa capable with top shelf ammo or handloads. A few are sub half.

I did up a semi custom custom 22-250 t3 varmint in a chassis for a buddy, set it up with a razor 2, and worked up a couple of loads. It was able to keep three different bullets in sub half inch five round groups with each bullets' best charge weight. Consistently. I have not done any of model number you refer to but it looks like Beretta just hung a stock similar to the sako a7 roughtech on a regular t3 varmint. Should do you just fine.

Glass is personal preference so you do you there. I strongly recommend ARC MBrace rings, though. I have a set of M10s (previous generation) and a set of MBrace on different guns. As I build different guns or get around to swapping out rings on current rigs, I am going to be selling off badger, nightforce, Seekins, etc and replacing them with Teds stuff. I paid full price for each set I have and would gladly do so again.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Longtime sako/tikka fan here. I like them a lot and they are one of the only factory rifles I will suggest as options to students. With that said, all my sako products achieved their accuracy guarantees and some were better. Most of the stock tikkas I have worked with/on have been 3/4moa capable with top shelf ammo or handloads. A few are sub half.

I did up a semi custom custom 22-250 t3 varmint in a chassis for a buddy, set it up with a razor 2, and worked up a couple of loads. It was able to keep three different bullets in sub half inch five round groups with each bullets' best charge weight. Consistently. I have not done any of model number you refer to but it looks like Beretta just hung a stock similar to the sako a7 roughtech on a regular t3 varmint. Should do you just fine.

Glass is personal preference so you do you there. I strongly recommend ARC MBrace rings, though. I have a set of M10s (previous generation) and a set of MBrace on different guns. As I build different guns or get around to swapping out rings on current rigs, I am going to be selling off badger, nightforce, Seekins, etc and replacing them with Teds stuff. I paid full price for each set I have and would gladly do so again.

Really appreciate that ring suggestion! They look great, I changed my Note in my phone accordingly. Thank you!

- Brent

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have a Tikka T3X TAC A1 and it is very accurate. It's a 6.5, the action is super smooth. Mags get pricey, they had a deal with mine that gave you a free mag with purchase. I picked up a hat too.

Looks like the threading is optional but can be done. You may need to special order. I bought mine from 2A sales and they got me exactly what I wanted. You might want to get a 20MOA rail or a one-piece scope mount with the MOA built in. Depends on how far you want to shoot it. With a .223 probably not much past 600yds so you may not need the extra MOA.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    So I’ve decided I am selling my Shiloh Sharps and with the proceeds buy a precision .223 host for my old 5.56 can. It’s been on my wants for a while. Me and the Shiloh, probably the nicest gun I’ll own, but we just don’t jive. So on the block it goes and here’s what I am thinking.

Tikka T3x Super Varmint .223 24” 1/8
    Hawkins 34MM rings
    Primary Arms GLx 3-18x44 FFP
    I’ll need a thread adapter to turn down the threads to 1/2x28
    QD flash hider
    Turner M1907 Sling

Anyone have experience or tales to tell of this rifle? It seems to read like it’s a well performing gun.

- Brent

Oh poo

Here I thought you were looking for a buyer for the Tikka.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I have a Tikka T3X TAC A1 and it is very accurate. It's a 6.5, the action is super smooth. Mags get pricey, they had a deal with mine that gave you a free mag with purchase. I picked up a hat too.

Looks like the threading is optional but can be done. You may need to special order. I bought mine from 2A sales and they got me exactly what I wanted. You might want to get a 20MOA rail or a one-piece scope mount with the MOA built in. Depends on how far you want to shoot it. With a .223 probably not much past 600yds so you may not need the extra MOA.

Bountied, is the hat a 10 round Md compliant hat?

Can I go out of state and buy a higher capacity hat and bring it into Md?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Really appreciate that ring suggestion! They look great, I changed my Note in my phone accordingly. Thank you!

- Brent

One bolt. Can't screw it up. And as a bonus your scope doesn't "wiggle" the vertical stadia as you tighten opposite sides. Ted karagias does things his own way but a lot of his solutions are pretty ingenious.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Sounds like a good design.
    Definitely unique, like a lot of teds stuff. I absolutely love them and suggest them to people setting up rifles. When I set up rigs for guys, they have to specifically refuse the ARC rings if they want something else.

One thing I have learned about T3 actions (the ones that come with factory 1913 rails) is that they are pinned from the factory and SOME are epoxied to the action. They are NOT easy to get off if you have an epoxied one and you will probably trash the rail during removal. I have separated a couple with the aid of a fixture, a hammer, and a modified chisel. One was wrecked, a couple others were able to be reinstalled after barrel replacement. These factory rails are 0moa (no cant) and if you use an optic with a low amount of available vertical dial (from where it zeroes) you may bottom out your turret at a closer range than you intend to shoot. The factory rail is very low profile, meaning that the optic and rings are very close to the action. With a 223 I would expect non-issue but I've seen some.cases where a particularly large windage turret (think razor two) or a ring base placed in the wrong place caused ejection clearance issues.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013

Howdy! I hear those TAC’s are very nice!!

This particular model comes with a 23.7” threaded varmint bbl. I suppose turning that big chunk of steel to 1/2x28 would require much removal and Tikka threads it 5/8x24 (.30). Hence the needs for the thread adapter.

I have tossed around the idea of MOA bases…and if it comes to needing more distance in the future, that can be accommodated.

The glass I selected has 180 MOA of adjustment. That should be plenty to become proficient at the distances it will cover. If / when more reach is desired, I’ll cross that path!

- Brent

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Definitely unique, like a lot of teds stuff. I absolutely love them and suggest them to people setting up rifles. When I set up rigs for guys, they have to specifically refuse the ARC rings if they want something else.

One thing I have learned about T3 actions (the ones that come with factory 1913 rails) is that they are pinned from the factory and SOME are epoxied to the action. They are NOT easy to get off if you have an epoxied one and you will probably trash the rail during removal. I have separated a couple with the aid of a fixture, a hammer, and a modified chisel. One was wrecked, a couple others were able to be reinstalled after barrel replacement. These factory rails are 0moa (no cant) and if you use an optic with a low amount of available vertical dial (from where it zeroes) you may bottom out your turret at a closer range than you intend to shoot. The factory rail is very low profile, meaning that the optic and rings are very close to the action. With a 223 I would expect non-issue but I've seen some.cases where a particularly large windage turret (think razor two) or a ring base placed in the wrong place caused ejection clearance issues.

I agree that the design is very well thought out. Again, many thanks for the recommendation .

I am likely going to opt for the .85 height but I AM going to do their penny stack trick and double verify before that time comes. Glass would have a 44mm objective, and the turrets, though wide, don’t extend from the tube very far. Like you said as well, .223, small brass!

- Brent

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I agree that the design is very well thought out. Again, many thanks for the recommendation .

I am likely going to opt for the .85 height but I AM going to do their penny stack trick and double verify before that time comes. Glass would have a 44mm objective, and the turrets, though wide, don’t extend from the tube very far. Like you said as well, .223, small brass!

- Brent

I don't expect that you are going to have any trouble with 223 and the optic you called out in your first post. I only bring up the rail issues because some people end up going down that road and, though I recommend tikkas, I want people to go in eyes open with as much information as possible.

A side benefit of the tikka actions that the bolt rotation is slightly less than most other two lug actions (it's about 70 deg, depending on who you ask). This means you can run slightly lower scope clearance without interference.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    I don't expect that you are going to have any trouble with 223 and the optic you called out in your first post. I only bring up the rail issues because some people end up going down that road and, though I recommend tikkas, I want people to go in eyes open with as much information as possible.

A side benefit of the tikka actions that the bolt rotation is slightly less than most other two lug actions (it's about 70 deg, depending on who you ask). This means you can run slightly lower scope clearance without interference.

Yeah I had briefly explored the options of 20MOA rings, or going down the heat and epoxy removal option. Time will tell ultimately. But I think that new offering from Primary Arms should be able to handle my distance I’m wanting for a while.

We all love pics ‘round here. Post one of your TAC if you have one handy!

- Brent

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Yeah I had briefly explored the options of 20MOA rings, or going down the heat and epoxy removal option. Time will tell ultimately. But I think that new offering from Primary Arms should be able to handle my distance I’m wanting for a while.

We all love pics ‘round here. Post one of your TAC if you have one handy!

- Brent

Not the best pic and I changed a few things. I went with a one piece 20moa mount from Larue. I had a setup with a 20moa riser and Seekins rings but liked the cleaner look of the one-piece. I also sold the Razor and got a 2 PST Gen IIs in 5-25.
    IMG_2188.JPG

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have a very plain Tikka T3X with a Boyds "Varmint Thumbhole" stock and a 20" barrel, and a Nikon Monarch 3-12X scope. Nice action and trigger. I did not use pillars to bed the stock which was a big mistake. I have since got a set of pillars and it's on my to-do list to dremel out the old bedding, drill new holes and re-bed the stock. This Boyds stock has a nice finish that provides sure grip. I don't really want a 24" barrel 223 Rem rifle. I suppose though if you want a long-range varminter you need all the velocity you can get. This gun shoots well but will perform better with pillar bedding.

rifle-223-tika-t3x.jpg

I don't really care for a spiral bolt. That Super Varmint though does have a nice looking stock and a two-stage trigger is a big plus. I like these Tikka T3x Compact Tactical rifles; a 20" 308 or a 24" 6.5 Creedmoor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom