Thoughts on Value of Pristine WWII-era Remington Rand 1911A1?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    A buddy of mine inherited this fine piece. Remington Rand 1911A1, US Property marked, FJA inspection stamp, with original box. Serial number I believe dates this to 1944 manufacture.

Excellent +++ condition; almost looks unfired.

Any of our MDS resident experts have a good idea on the actual value? We did a little research on the internet and looked at Gunbroker, but values were inconsistent.

TIA.

Attachments

• M1911_A1_Original Box.jpeg
      M1911_A1_Original Box.jpeg
      415.6 KB · Views: 126
    • M1911_A1_Ordanance Mark.jpeg
      M1911_A1_Ordanance Mark.jpeg
      254 KB · Views: 119
    • M1911_A1_Inspector Initials_LTCOL Frank J Atwood.jpeg
      M1911_A1_Inspector Initials_LTCOL Frank J Atwood.jpeg
      351.7 KB · Views: 116
    • M1911_A1_Serial Number.jpeg
      M1911_A1_Serial Number.jpeg
      339.3 KB · Views: 115
    • M1911_A1_Right Side.jpeg
      M1911_A1_Right Side.jpeg
      423.1 KB · Views: 126
    • M1911_A1_Left Side.jpeg
      M1911_A1_Left Side.jpeg
      436.5 KB · Views: 126

owldo

Ultimate Member
    A buddy of mine inherited this fine piece. Remington Rand 1911A1, US Property marked, FJA inspection stamp, with original box. Serial number I believe dates this to 1944 manufacture.

Any of our MDS resident experts have a good idea on the actual value? We did a little research on the internet and looked at Gunbroker, but values were inconsistent.

TIA.

They have one for sale on GUNS.COM for $15,000.00 ... Your example would appear to be in as good condition !

https://www.guns.com/firearms/handg...acp-semi-auto-7-rounds-5-barrel-used?p=639792

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    They have one for sale on GUNS.COM for $15,000.00 ... Your example would appear to be in as good condition !

https://www.guns.com/firearms/handg...acp-semi-auto-7-rounds-5-barrel-used?p=639792
    Different guns with different values.

The one on Guns.com is a demonstration pistol SN 132 with no acceptance marks. It was a demonstration that Remington Rand was able to produce these weapons to the specifications required. It is pretty rare, but even then, they're asking more than most would pay for it. One hit GB recently and had zero bids. It also came with the box and authentication paperwork. Reserve was $7500. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1019139499

OP's gun, while nearly pristine, has US ordinance marks and was a standard-issue pistol. This one, which probably grades just slightly less, went for $2025 on GB just recently: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1021616203

OP, I'd guess between $1700-$2100 based on recent sales on GB, but I'm no expert.

cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter

Yeah, but I think that is for a "demonstration" pistol that was pulled for internal company presentations and never turned over to the Army. It's my understanding these didn't have any ordnance markings. This one does. I know it is probably worth a premium (still trying to get input on that), but most likely not the $15K being asked for the one you pointed out. Appreciate the input though!

owldo

Ultimate Member
    Different guns with different values.

The one on Guns.com is a demonstration pistol SN 132 with no acceptance marks. It was a demonstration that Remington Rand was able to produce these weapons to the specifications required. It is pretty rare, but even then, they're asking more than most would pay for it. One hit GB recently and had zero bids. It also came with the box and authentication paperwork. Reserve was $7500. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1019139499

OP's gun, while nearly pristine, has US ordinance marks and was a standard-issue pistol. This one, which probably grades just slightly less, went for $2025 on GB just recently: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1021616203

OP, I'd guess between $1700-$2100 based on recent sales on GB, but I'm no expert.

ooh !

Jul 1, 2012
    It does date to 1944. It MIGHT be a DCM release (the first incarnation of CMP) from the early 60's.
    I'm not enamored of the rough texture to the surface and the weak slide and frame markings though.
    Post it up on the Colt forum in the Semi-Auto Pistols section, those guys are a bit gentler than some other 1911-dedicated forums :)
    Comparison of what we can see in pics vs. an original-finish 1944 RR. Note the strong and deep slide marking and FJA marking.
    M1911_A1_Inspector Initials_LTCOL Frank J Atwood.jpeg

DSC_1235.JPG

M1911_A1_Serial Number.jpeg

10.JPG

Finally, the feed ramp should be "in the white" as it was polished after frame was park'd.
    Feed ramp.JPG

Jul 1, 2012
    If it's all original then it's probably in the $6+k range to the right collector.
    Stuff like this doesn't come up often so there's no telling where it would wind up in an auction setting.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

TIA.
    Holy moley, that's gorgeous!

CatoctinOutfitters

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    Gonna second what some fellow users said and go with it being at least $2K to the $6K range. Always remember auctions can be a wildcard if you or your friend go that route. If it has original components, its box being in one piece/good shape, and the fact its a wartime firearm should keep the value decent. Gorgeous sidearm by the way!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Ive heard exactly opposite, that non accepted 45's are of a lessor value than others of presentation grade that exhibit inspectors acceptance marks.
    Of course what was disclosed to me was from a potential buyer who more than likely couldn't cut the mustard anyway for what particular interest was proffered after the statement was made.
    Once he learned who the pistol was originally presented to, he almost sh&t his pants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom