Thoughts on the Midwest Industries SS G2 handguard?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Krunkle

Sep 29, 2010
    I was interested in getting this upper from BCM:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...ength-Upper-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw-bfh-ss12g2.htm

It comes with the MI SS12G2. I like the idea of a lightweight upper. This handguard is relatively new (about 2 years old), but it's similar to a lot of other lightweight modular handguards. I'm usually a little hesitant to adopt a new system that hasn't been around awhile and thoroughly tested. In the worst case scenario if the handguard failed, I could send it back to BCM or get another handguard to replace it. That would be a hassle, but not the end of the world.

I've never built an upper and don't know much about it. But it seems like the best and most reputable handguards on the market, like the Daniel Defense free float lite and Larue tactical have more robust barrel nuts and systems in place to prevent rotation or failure. Even the slick modular rails from Noveske and Daniel Defense have a heavier barrel nut than the Midwest one.

Basically, does this Midwest rail seem reliable? Does anyone have any extensive experience with it? Thanks.

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    I was interested in getting this upper from BCM:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...ength-Upper-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw-bfh-ss12g2.htm

It comes with the MI SS12G2. I like the idea of a lightweight upper. This handguard is relatively new (about 2 years old), but it's similar to a lot of other lightweight modular handguards. I'm usually a little hesitant to adopt a new system that hasn't been around awhile and thoroughly tested. In the worst case scenario if the handguard failed, I could send it back to BCM or get another handguard to replace it. That would be a hassle, but not the end of the world.

I've never built an upper and don't know much about it. But it seems like the best and most reputable handguards on the market, like the Daniel Defense free float lite and Larue tactical have more robust barrel nuts and systems in place to prevent rotation or failure. Even the slick modular rails from Noveske and Daniel Defense have a heavier barrel nut than the Midwest one.

Basically, does this Midwest rail seem reliable? Does anyone have any extensive experience with it? Thanks.

I have it on a PSA upper... Very nice. :thumbsup:

Uncle Krunkle

Sep 29, 2010
    Chad, I really like the upper with the lightweight barrel and ultra light Noveske NSR rail you built for me. The lightweight makes a big difference once you start adding an optic, a suppressor and whatever else. I thought that BCM upper looked like a good candidate for another lightweight upper. Thanks for giving the MI SS a thumbs up!

Uncle Krunkle

Sep 29, 2010
    I designated one of my AR's as the "lightweight one." I kinda of got obsessed with weighing out parts and finding the lightest part for everything. It's amazing how the balance of a rifle shifts when you drop the weight, it becomes way more mobile.

I also found surprising ways to shave off an ounce here and there, that ultimately added to big savings. For instance, I took the rubber buttpad (1.5 ounces) off the Magpul CTR stock (already a light stock). Only the standard M4 stock weighs less now.

I think there should be a running thread where parts are weighed out. It'd help to know that information when you're deciding on a build.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Any idea how light that rail is in comparison to the Fortis Rev rails? At some point I have lowers I want built into rifles for my kids and I am going to want them to be a light as possible Clandestine doesn't know it yet, but he is on the top of my list for the builds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom