• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Lots of amendments. Some are getting traction. Nobody likes this thing.

As for progress, I'd say we're just under the 50% marker for this. The "short" path would have required two committee votes and two floor votes - one each for each chamber.

The new path would require that, plus another floor vote in the Senate - assuming they don't go through committee again. If a conference report is called for (possible but not required) then we're looking at another two floors votes. Oh, and this assumes they combine House Judiciary with House Heatlh and Gov't Operations into one special committee vote. If not, then add a vote in HGO to the pile.

So the current "shortest path" is two committees (one each House and Senate) plus three floor votes (two Senate, one House). So far we got only one committee and one floor done. That leaves House combined committee; House floor and then Senate floor -at a minimum.

So this bill needs at least one more committee vote and two more floor votes to pass. Nowhere. Near. Done.

Keep in mind that the session ends on April 8th, come hell or high water.
    Is there a political "water boy kneel down" play in the state of Maryland?

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Also remember that even if anything passes, it only begins the lawsuits. And I don't think O'Malley has grasped that Heller and McDonald have radically changed the legal landscape.

Especially with so many police departments now issuing patrol rifles. In the mid-80s, the argument could have been put forth that ARs were military equipment. Today, we can point out to the prevalence of ARs in the trunks of police cruisers. Any arms suitable for issue to law enforcement are clearly suitable for use by the general public.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Like many others, I don't really understand the way things have to be done in Annapolis. What happens if they don't get through all the voting processes before the end of the session? Do the bills just die or can somebody call for the session to be extended or for a special session like with the gambling bills? Would they even try a special session for guns considering the opposition they've gotten during the session?

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Like many others, I don't really understand the way things have to be done in Annapolis. What happens if they don't get through all the voting processes before the end of the session? Do the bills just die or can somebody call for the session to be extended or for a special session like with the gambling bills? Would they even try a special session for guns considering the opposition they've gotten during the session?

That's the 'beauty' of the system. With enough pressure, the legislature stumbles and fumbles until they run out of time. That is why they needed 'special sessions' last year, much to Owe'Malley's embarrassment because they didn't meet the LEGAL REQUIREMENT of passing a budget.

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover

Senator DeGrange seemed pretty certain that the house would vote on it before 4 weeks is up. If it doesn't happen, there'll likely be a call for a special session. If there's not, they'll reintroduce it next session.

StickerLT

Jul 26, 2012
    Frederick County
    I wouldn't be ignoring my family if we couldn't score up some fixes. My wife was clear, "You can spend the time away from us, but only if you tell me you can kick some O'Malley ass.[/I]"

Literally, that is what she said.

Splinter bills are not going anywhere.

:lol: You have a great Wife sir.

Thanks for the update, and all you do,

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    "This is Day One" - Patrick at the Feb. 6th rally

Those words are just as true now as they were then. We can't rest. We can't stop. We have to keep hammering the GA until they get the message.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Calling a special session for something you can't be 100% certain of passing is a great embarrassment, he and they can't take that chance, they all know it would be better to lay low than risk proving themselves impotent.

Plus, a "special session" would draw "special" attention

Not gonna happen. A Special Session means no fundraisers for elected officials and next year is an election year. Add to that the only way this thing runs out of time is if the members want it to run our of time. No way they will come back for more.

If the clock runs out, it's a major win.

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Senator DeGrange seemed pretty certain that the house would vote on it before 4 weeks is up. If it doesn't happen, there'll likely be a call for a special session. If there's not, they'll reintroduce it next session.

Next session in 2014? Or second half of 2013?

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Thanks, Patrick. These threads are always appreciated.

I am really surprised Miller hasn't been more vocal regarding Beretta. IMO he should be using it as an excuse not to support the bill.

BillH

Exalted Grand Poo-bah
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2009
    Ellicott City, MD
    She hasn't sung yet.

5'2" in all directions...

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    This is inspiring news and adds fuel to my emailing campaign fire. Knowing how fast government works, every day that passes is great for us. Even Frosh and his the high priest himself can not make the wheels of government turn faster than what they do.

Could it be possible that those in favor of the bill only voted the way they did in order to satisfy party lines as well as the constituents they represent? All well knowing that this would die prior to the session ending and it not making a bit of difference. Possibly this is why Frish wanted closed door sessions from now on, so he would have the ability to address this issue with his party outside of the public. Just food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom