• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    This is a genuinely honest question. I've been trying to follow all of the MD law, but it's hard to follow...especially since I live in NC now and the rigamarole does not apply to me.

Can the State of MD confiscate something that was legally purchased after they discover the owner is no longer eligible to own it due to NEWLY ESTABLISHED criteria? Are they going through every single record just to find a reason to confiscate?

I know it sounds like a goofy question, but I simply do not understand anything when it comes to guns and the state of Maryland anymore.

I think there was a thread saying the MSP would like to be able to do this... but they don't have a system in place to do it. But I think that may have been more focused on gun owners who have made themselves ineligible through their own actions, not changes in the law.

Beyond that, they do what they want... This isn't America after all, it's Maryland.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Most likely. PBJ wasn't a disqualifier before SB281, now it is.....

Do the new forms ask if you ever got a PBJ?

If he had as pbj and that disqualifies him, the story here is not that MSP "confiscated" his guns. The story is that MSP's system of weeding out those with a pbj is too slow.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Who promised these folks that taking a PBJ would not have any affect on their life down the road? I've sat through many of court cases and never heard that.

Here's a novel idea...if you are INNOCENT don't take a plea deal.

It's not the same as innocent either.

The state has a lot of fancy names for all the in between verdicts.

Sorry but I think the state should set the bar a little bit higher than PBJ before they strip away someone's constitutional rights.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Sorry but I think the state should set the bar a little bit higher than PBJ before they strip away someone's constitutional rights.

Why should they? Their end goal is banning all firearm ownership within the state, and this is how they are making an end run around the 2A. Make everything a disqualifying offense and soon, nobody will be eligible to buy or own a firearm in MD.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

99% of PBJ's are given out to guilty folks from what I've seen. The state either does not have the resources to deal with them since the system is already over loaded and it's a relatively minor law OR the judges who have zero self control and accountability simply do not want to alter someones life with a guilty finding.

If you are innocent you shouldn't accept anything other then a Not Guilty or Nolle Pros finding from the state.

To think that because you got a PBJ you weren't guilty of the crime is doesn't work for me. Sorry for living in reality.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    99% of PBJ's are given out to guilty folks from what I've seen. The state either does not have the resources to deal with them since the system is already over loaded and it's a relatively minor law OR the judges who have zero self control and accountability simply do not want to alter someones life with a guilty finding.

If you are innocent you shouldn't accept anything other then a Not Guilty or Nolle Pros finding from the state.

To think that because you got a PBJ you weren't guilty of the crime is doesn't work for me. Sorry for living in reality.

Figure your job dictates that you must interact with some truly evil people, possibly impacting your posts on this thread ... and that I'm naive on the ins-and-outs of the PBJ topic - but isn't "innocent until proven guilty" the intrinsic and fundamental principle of our legal system??

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    A lot of defendants in domestic violence cases will accept a PBJ plea bargain whether they are guilty or innocent, rather than roll the dice with a judge or jury. I still think most people who get PBJ's for DV assaults are guilty, but I do think there is a very significant minority who are not. The bottom line is even innocent people know a domestic violence conviction will ruin their lives when they have to make a decision to fight for a not guilty verdict or just plea out.

Most Assistant State's Attorneys I have met seem afraid to cast doubt on even the shakiest of domestic violence accusations, and will almost always take it to trial if the defendant doesn't take a plea. I'm not saying domestic violence isn't a problem and that the (truly) guilty shouldn't be seriously punished, of course they should. But I also think there are a lot of guys in this state with PBJ records for domestic assault who were probably falsely accused and still agreed to a PBJ, because they were told, "after all, it's not really a conviction."

Besides, for me the bottom line is the PBJ should be exactly that. Probation Before Judgment. If the state wants a conviction disposition that will affect someone's rights for the rest of their life, then it should have to get one. Even if it means going to trial. Justice shouldn't bastardized because the district courts are set up to be case backlog clearinghouses.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Why should they? Their end goal is banning all firearm ownership within the state, and this is how they are making an end run around the 2A. Make everything a disqualifying offense and soon, nobody will be eligible to buy or own a firearm in MD.

And it's the very definition of dirty pool.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Figure your job dictates that you must interact with some truly evil people, possibly impacting your posts on this thread ... and that I'm naive on the ins-and-outs of the PBJ topic - but isn't "innocent until proven guilty" the intrinsic and fundamental principle of our legal system??

Not in MD

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

What's next? Being charged with a crime? Because, you know, if the police go to all that trouble to arrest you and the DA goes to all that trouble to file charges than you must be guilty of something.
    If the State can't prove you did it or you don't admit to doing it you are not guilty of the crime in the eyes of the law. What the hell happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom