• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Just like the title says, thinking about getting into archery for hunting. I've already done the crossbow, shotgun, rifle and muzzleloader, so why not add another option :lol2:

So what would you guys suggest for a starter compound bow? I'm 6'4 so I would imagine I'd need a bit larger bow and one with longer draw length. I saw the Diamond Infinite Edge Pro and thought that might fit the bill but open to any suggestions. Thanks!

Dave Greenberg

Oct 24, 2015
    Millersville
    Just like the title says, thinking about getting into archery for hunting. I've already done the crossbow, shotgun, rifle and muzzleloader, so why not add another option :lol2:

So what would you guys suggest for a starter compound bow? I'm 6'4 so I would imagine I'd need a bit larger bow and one with longer draw length. I saw the Diamond Infinite Edge Pro and thought that might fit the bill but open to any suggestions. Thanks!

I would suggest taking a little trip to Lancaster Archery supply in PA. They are great. They will work with you in finding a bow that fits you including figuring the draw strength and all that good stuff while you shoot different bows in store. Really cool place.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    It's a haul from you, but there's also an archery store (Bowhunters Den), in Gamber.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I would suggest taking a little trip to Lancaster Archery supply in PA. They are great. They will work with you in finding a bow that fits you including figuring the draw strength and all that good stuff while you shoot different bows in store. Really cool place.

I knew there was a place up that way but wasn't sure of the name. Thank you!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Definitely go to a pro shop so you can shoot multiple rigs to find the "correct fit" for your body. It isn't just about size. Think mechanics too.

Dave Greenberg

Oct 24, 2015
    Millersville

Not a problem! They also will also get you appropriate sized arrows as well. Since you are so tall I don't imagine they will be cutting much off the arrow but it helps to know you are being taken care of by competent employees.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater

+1. Those folks helped me with mine, and couldn't have been nicer. Bit of a drive, for sure, but definitely worth the trip. :thumbsup:

Lancaster Archery Supply

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Thanks for the help guys! Good thing the wife is out of town a few days, now I can go get a bow without ending up in the dog house haha.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    +100. go to a bow shop. Your height is not that important. Arm length and strength. All kinds of things. Last years bows will be discounted big.

DaftPict

Aug 20, 2012
    Escaped to Hedgesville WV
    Get in touch with a local archery club - they often have classes, let you try bows (I hated compounds and loved recurves/longbows so that's what I got) and provide a safe place to meet and shoot.
    You're in Edgewater so check out Anne Arundel Archers. Lancaster Archery is a great place to buy once you know what you want. I always have their catalog handy and buy on-line. It's almost as addictive as shooting firearms LOL.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I can vouch for LAS. They're very focused on customer service and you'll get 100%, 1 on 1 attention if you need it. Many times they'll throw in free stuff and let you shoot on the range for an hour or so.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall

Bows are sized to match your body size & normal draw length...

The limbs are sized according to match your natural strength for example 50 - 60 pounds, 60 - 70 pounds etc...

The cams of the bow are sized to put your draw length in the middle of the cam so you have some adjustment...

The arrows that you will shoot need to be sized to match your draw length & the poundage that you intend to shoot in order for them to fly straight...

So step 1 is to find a professional Archery Dealer near you...

I'd avoid the Big Box shops like Bass Pro unless you want to buy everything twice...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Bows are sized to match your body size & normal draw length...

The limbs are sized according to match your natural strength for example 50 - 60 pounds, 60 - 70 pounds etc...

The cams of the bow are sized to put your draw length in the middle of the cam so you have some adjustment...

The arrows that you will shoot need to be sized to match your draw length & the poundage that you intend to shoot in order for them to fly straight...

So step 1 is to find a professional Archery Dealer near you...

I'd avoid the Big Box shops like Bass Pro unless you want to buy everything twice...

Not so much the case any more. Most prefer a solid "back wall" as apposed to a "creepy" cam. It forces a better "push-pull" followthrough which is a more favorable style of shooting. It helps fight anticipation and trigger punching.:thumbsup:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Thanks for the help guys! Good thing the wife is out of town a few days, now I can go get a bow without ending up in the dog house haha.

a good decent bow will be aroun $500-700. Then add $300 in accessories...rest, arrows, release, quiver, stabilizer. I like ripcord drop away rest and trufire 360 release. Arrows will be depending on your draw length and your draw weight

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom