There has to be a better way than Red Dots on pistols.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I know, I know! This will probably be a very unpopular opinion, but I just can't stand Red Dots on pistols. Lots of folks are doing it these days and people swear by them. I get it. I have used Red Dots on rifles and I love them. Great for close quarters and such. And, before anyone goes and pops off, yes, they can also totally be used for distance shots. I just hate them on pistols.

These things can get rain or dirt or fuzz or whatever over the emitter. Even the fully enclosed ones are big, bulky, and ugly.

Is there no technology that we can use that is better than iron sights but is also better that sticking a big glass screen on top of your handgun? We are well into the 21st century and nobody is working on this? I have made peace with the fact that I may never get a jet pack to commute to work, but come on! I can't help but to think that these medieval looking sights are nothing but a fad, like a four D-Cell battery Maglite on top of a MP5 from the 1980s.

Don't even get me started on Kydex holsters...

Attached pictures taken from the internet as examples.
    0eb2139be63deb87de92dbb033a35ea5.jpg
    sig-romeo2-1.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-01 211936.png

Last edited:

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    Army Mantech program is working on augmented reality HUD’s that would have an assisted aiming function. Nit a solution for a carry/bedside gun but interesting nonetheless

edit: Individually worn hud, not a pilots rig

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    I shot with a friend's Crimson Trace laser grips and liked them enough to buy a set. You still retain your iron sites too. No holster changes needed.

TwinTurbskis

professional amateur
    Jun 9, 2020
    Derwood, MD
    Wait what's wrong with kydex holsters?!

Personally, I agree with you about red dots on pistols - I've tried it and I'm not really a fan. People can do what they want, but I'll stick with my iron sights. Iron sights feel like home.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    when I took my wear and carry class earlier this year by the esteemed 3Paul10, who I consider a good friend and is an excellent source for me, he stated that a lot of the fellow cops did much better using red dots and that they are the wave of the future with police departments.. I believe him. I have a 43x with Talos red dot but have not shot it yet at the range. I have been working on quick sight-in when drawing, though for muscle memory.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Point shooting. Index off the back plate.
    funny, when I was doing the qualification, I did just that but modified. My shoulder was still recovering from surgery as well as my shooting hand. I did the modified point where I kept my vision on the target and had the front sight blurry...Looked through the front sight to the target. got 25 out of 25 .. guess it worked :)

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    This is probably the smallest footprint you'll find. I have no experience with it. I'm with you, I don't use red dots. I've tried multiple times but can't get used to it. I spend more time trying to find the dot than I do shooting. Front sight was beat into my head when learning to shoot pistols and it seems to work for me.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Red dots on carry pistols are not for me.
    I've tried several and I can't get on the target with any speed and accuracy isn't noticeably better.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    This is probably the smallest footprint you'll find. I have no experience with it. I'm with you, I don't use red dots. I've tried multiple times but can't get used to it. I spend more time trying to find the dot than I do shooting. Front sight was beat into my head when learning to shoot pistols and it seems to work for me.

That’s a training issue. If you can draw and present with your eyes closed and open your eyes to see the iron sights almost perfectly aligned, then you can draw and present with a red dot. Irons can mask the issue of not having a good natural point of aim since it’s easier to fidget the gun into position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom