• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    My mom is still uneasy about it especially after I got my 12ga but now she wants to try out the handgun. It's easier to get away with trips to gun stores when she doesn't mind the guns as much

RosadoSM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 27, 2005
    King George, VA
    No kidding. You befriended that one chick from Texas.

Oh wait.... :o

doh-homer-simpson.jpg

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    OP, that about sums about my wife from quite a few years ago when I purchased my first two firearms, a revolver and a small pump carbine. My wife hated having them in the house and left nothing open to interpretation. She acted a bit like the guns might somehow break loose from storage on their own and chase us around the house on a shooting spree. Then I took her to the range a few times, especially after I got a few more revolvers. Then I convinced her to take NRA pistol training. I kept taking her to the range. Then I got her an NRA life membership. Then she started reading the real-life stories in the NRA magazines. Then suddenly one day the light bulb went off and she had the epiphany that really bad things can happen to innocent people at completely unpredictable times. She didn't think we were well enough protected and sent me off to buy more, which I happily did. Now she asks when we're going to the range to practice. Go figure.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    She acted a bit like the guns might somehow break loose from storage on their own and chase us around the house on a shooting spree.

Funny you should mention that. I feel like my wife started with exactly the same mindset. But then my son and I became involved in shooting sports of all sorts. Now she tolerates them in the house but isn't interested in going out shooting. When we did goad her into doing some informal trap she was great. She has excellent hand-eye coordination and hit 3 for 3! I think now the issue is that she doesn't WANT to enjoy shooting, so she's stonewalling. However, I'm still working on her...it's a noble quest!

Back to the OP's question, I've personally witnessed many more women becoming involved in the shooting sports, from IDPA to trap/skeet to cowboy action. From my perspective, it's immensely gratifying to see the change. I'm sure that this change will have a huge impact in the coming years.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom