• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Hmmmm. Meaning. Words matter.

Say something. Say nothing. It’s a choice.

Say “You suck.” Or maybe say “I don’t agree with you. I don’t like you. You and I aren’t compatible.”

Making a difference isn’t some high faluting save the world type of thing. I mean “make a difference” in how you are viewed and how folks think about you. You chose your words. You create the environment those words will be viewed in and defined by.

If you come across like an angry, know it all arse, well, you gotta own that.

How you say what you say determines what folks think of you. No beating around that bush.

FTR, you haven’t gotten off on a good foot. When you’re in a deeeep hole, let go the shovel.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Nothing I say or post on the Internet makes a big difference. It's up to the individual that owns and carries a gun.

Good clear thinking. I think the solution is for you to be a coach and trainer, eliminate the problem that you have clearly articulated.

Several times a week Andrew Branca points out the same thing you do. There is no subsitute for education and training.

copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    All I have to say is... this kind of person/thinking/attitude is more dangerous to 2a than the staunchest anti-gun lefty. This is the kind of attitude that gets us magazine restrictions, barrel profile restriction, and pretty much all the other “compromises.” Next thing you know he’ll suggest training prior to opening one’s mouth... maybe someone should heed his own advice, just re the 1st and not the 2nd.

Argh, I seldom post, cause I feel like if I have nothing constructive to say - to just not say anything... but this guy!

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    There is no subsitute for education and training.

100% true. And you know what the OP seems to not get? That it also applies to communication skills. And when it comes to AVOIDING armed conflict, being able to start a conversation without coming across as a condescending, belligerent crank is incredibly helpful. Most important part of training when it comes to carrying a gun is looking for every POSSIBLE way to avoid ever needing to touch it. That starts, and revolves solidly around one's bearing. Launching a social encounter with vitriol and patronizing snark indicates the kind of poor judgement and social skills that I think means somebody's not cut out for carrying - under cover a badge or otherwise.

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Lev, my viewpoint is that most of the members of MDS would do fine with conceal carry and would take additional training, but thanks to Maryland's stance of issuing permits, the chance of getting on is pretty much nil. Most of MDS are gun people, shoot regularly, have LE or military training, and maybe even participate in shooting events (IDPA, USPSA). I would say that many members here if they could have a license would be responsible enough to obtain additional training at their own expense. BUT, at this time, why spend money on conceal carry training if you will never get a carry license? Money is tight and may be better allocated to the family expenses. (Kind of a chicken or the egg situation).

Right now, MSP issues permits to business owners (grudgingly) who may or may not be gun people, or to those connected to the right person to get the permit. At the same time, you have some officers that really shouldn't have a weapon. They take the minimum training required, barely qualify, have the wrong mindset, or don't take proper care of their weapon, and just aren't gun people.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Well...

It is NO damn secret around here that I defend LE... so long as they are RIGHT.

"SO CALLED RIGHTS"?

WT ROYAL F?

NONE of my rights or rights of any other person... as spelled out in the COTUS are "so called". They are either rights or they are not... And NO WHERE written in those rights does it say that "training and experience is required" before one may exercise those rights.

WAY off base... and completely in the realm of "fear of the untrained".

So NO...

One should NOT be REQUIRED to have training to exercise their 2A.

Everyone SHOULD avail themselves of as much training as is within their means.

But "lawfully require training... to allow one to exercise their 2A"? NO

That would give the government carte blanch to restrict and infringe upon the 2A rights. And the COTUS does not give the government THAT power.

100% spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    But then I'll never get an answer about why my W&C permit still leaves me breaking the law when I carry! I hope the thread stays open long enough to get his thoughtful exposition on that.

Lol, I think you’ll be waiting quite some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    38 posts because I actually train, have real world experience and don't have time to deal with those that don't. Those that have a lot of posts must have plenty of time to kill. Do the math.

So our GTG when your training is signed off by you?

YOU are absolutely completely responsible and sure the actions and behaviors taken by others once they are outside of your stead are 100% reliable and consistent for their application and continued use no matter what the term?

Your statement regarding not having the time to deal with those who don't is indicative of lack of real world experience at best. :tdown:

MADad

Sep 8, 2013
    Charles County
    Sounds like a protege of Bloomberg when he said “average” people shouldn’t be allowed to have guns. I guess Bloomberg figures he is above average!

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    To me the OP has not articulated a point of his post , he is kinda talking in very general terms . And the subject matter is important he says . He has dodged my questions as well as others questions he wants a discussion but he wants to be the one to talk . I am not trying to be disrespectful .

Lev928

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2015
    WESTERN MARYLAND HILLS
    So, I've gotten much hate over my original post. The fact of the matter is that I was looking for articulate responses and opinions. I appreciate it all. More importantly, everyone that reads ALL of these posts should be thinking AND acting upon them all. Again, thank you all.

Lev928

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2015
    WESTERN MARYLAND HILLS
    So our GTG when your training is signed off by you?

YOU are absolutely completely responsible and sure the actions and behaviors taken by others once they are outside of your stead are 100% reliable and consistent for their application and continued use no matter what the term?

Your statement regarding not having the time to deal with those who don't is indicative of lack of real world experience at best. :tdown:

I'm sorry you feel that way.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    So, I've gotten much hate over my original post. The fact of the matter is that I was looking for articulate responses and opinions. I appreciate it all. More importantly, everyone that reads ALL of these posts should be thinking AND acting upon them all. Again, thank you all.

No hate here , I don't understand what the point is but no hate .

Lev928

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2015
    WESTERN MARYLAND HILLS
    To me the OP has not articulated a point of his post , he is kinda talking in very general terms . And the subject matter is important he says . He has dodged my questions as well as others questions he wants a discussion but he wants to be the one to talk . I am not trying to be disrespectful .

I'm pretty sure I've "articulated" several points. It's up to you and the rest to think about and act upon them. All my comments are PRO-FIREARMS and CCW.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom