• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I am eyeing a Vortex Viper 6-25x44 for this 30-06 I posted. Do I need all that magnification.... No.

However, I have no clue how to accurately and efficiently use a Mildot fixed reticle. In my fellow shooters opinions, is it worth outfitting my 2 new bolt rifles with fixed power 10x Mildot reticles or stick with what I know?

Thoughts are greatly appreciated. My new Rem blackout will be kept to 100 yards or so, and the 30-06 has no limit to what I will try if I can find the space.

Ed can prob best tell you, but in my Opinion Its personal preference, when you have a High power scope you tend to turn it up most of way, but not so much you loose focus. I can tell you the SS scopes are nice and clear and if you go to youtube there is a guy name TiborsaurusRex on there that has shot out to like 1500 yards with the 10X swfa scope. Here is his channel and you can watch some of his opinions on scopes. Again, Ed would be a great person to field this question for you.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TiborasaurusRex/search?query=swfa

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Ed can prob best tell you, but in my Opinion Its personal preference, when you have a High power scope you tend to turn it up most of way, but not so much you loose focus. I can tell you the SS scopes are nice and clear and if you go to youtube there is a guy name TiborsaurusRex on there that has shot out to like 1500 yards with the 10X swfa scope. Here is his channel and you can watch some of his opinions on scopes. Again, Ed would be a great person to field this question for you.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TiborasaurusRex/search?query=swfa

Thanks for the response. Ed gave me a kick ass opinion on scope bases a while back. I suppose it will be hard to base it on personal preference when I have not fired a rifle with a fixed scope on it before.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Thanks for the response. Ed gave me a kick ass opinion on scope bases a while back. I suppose it will be hard to base it on personal preference when I have not fired a rifle with a fixed scope on it before.

True and damn shame you are so far away, but if you find your self free to join us at the range on a Sunday we are going you are welcome to come shoot mine.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Where do y'all shoot?

Typically Berwyn but Unfortunately its only 100 yards there, However I also go to my friends in white hall where i can stretch out to 165 one way and 200 the other. He just doesnt take kindly to strangers so it would have to be berwyn to try it out.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Typically Berwyn but Unfortunately its only 100 yards there, However I also go to my friends in white hall where i can stretch out to 165 one way and 200 the other. He just doesnt take kindly to strangers so it would have to be berwyn to try it out.

You are far away. That's a shame. I find that many of the members here do not live close to Cecil County.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't load the bipod anymore. Quite opposite actually. Instead of loading it, I pull the stock into my shoulder. I shoot the same both ways, but pulling it into me feels more natural than loading it up.

Stock into the shoulder, load the bipod for stability and repeat-ability.

Your choice. But at longer range, loading the bipod really helps.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I shoot long-range (+1200yds) and don't have any issues the way I do it. Just another option.

I can't wait to one day attempt shooting at that distance. Once I get my rifle setup and get some time, I am going to try it.

I can't imagine the skill it must take to do it naturally without instruction from a professional.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I shoot long-range (+1200yds) and don't have any issues the way I do it. Just another option.

I would love to do that or even half of that. Took my rifle out today to my buddies in Whitehall Md, It was a blast but still only at 165 yards or so. It was everyone's favorite, hitting a 8"x8" plate pretty much every time you pulled the trigger.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I can't wait to one day attempt shooting at that distance. Once I get my rifle setup and get some time, I am going to try it.

I can't imagine the skill it must take to do it naturally without instruction from a professional.

Oh, I spent lots of time with Ed Shell. If you get a chance, you should think about taking a class with him. He'll lay it out for you... All the myths, all the tricks, and everything else.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Oh, I spent lots of time with Ed Shell. If you get a chance, you should think about taking a class with him. He'll lay it out for you... All the myths, all the tricks, and everything else.

MRPC has range 1 tomorrow, are you coming Yoshi? I should be there unless it's raining.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County

I literally sent him a PM today. When my kids get a bit older and I have more time to devote to it... I'm there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom