• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    A small red dot opic with a single mounting point would be much less affected by any type of shifting of the forearm. Also depending on exactly which slot it actually mounts to may not really even be "fixed" to the handguard. These guys go as far forward as possible to aid in quick target fixing as they shoot for speed and accuracy. My guess is they are actually fixed to the very last rail on the upper. It's the dual mounting points of a scope setup that could really give you trouble. Not only could it great shift POI, but it could also damage the rigid scope tube as recoil could move both parts in two different directions.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    I'm slightly concerned about the tube shifting. I had ordered the PEPR mount from SWFA and its on backorder. :sad20:
    I can't find anyone that has it in stock. Yeah I know Am Defense and LaRue have theirs in stock but I just can't swallow the price tag.
    Another option is installing the ARMS mount that will hold the upper and tube together and stop any twisting. the only draw back to that is the ARMS mount raises it up another 1/2 inch and I already have the 1" Burris XTR rings.
    I'm no seasoned AR builder so I guess we will see what happens.

thanks for all the replies and advise guys.

Andy

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    A small red dot opic with a single mounting point would be much less affected by any type of shifting of the forearm. Also depending on exactly which slot it actually mounts to may not really even be "fixed" to the handguard. These guys go as far forward as possible to aid in quick target fixing as they shoot for speed and accuracy. My guess is they are actually fixed to the very last rail on the upper. It's the dual mounting points of a scope setup that could really give you trouble. Not only could it great shift POI, but it could also damage the rigid scope tube as recoil could move both parts in two different directions.

how bad is it on tubes like yhm makes that have the screw in the side to keep the tube from rotating? I understand the tube would still flex separate from the upper, but would that fix screw allow the scope to maintain zero?

wjt1169

How 'bout some more pics:

receiverleft02.gif

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    how bad is it on tubes like yhm makes that have the screw in the side to keep the tube from rotating? I understand the tube would still flex separate from the upper, but would that fix screw allow the scope to maintain zero?

I don't have nearly enough experience to answer that question any better than you could. We know by video how much flex and force an AR goes through during recoil. You can see things shifting and moving a great deal more than we'd have expected otherwise. Whether one type of handguard could help is something that would have to be tested. My guess is no matter how solid it feels the handgaurd and upper are going to flex a great deal more than if the optic was just mounted totally on the upper. Any sepereate movement would be transferred to a rigid scope ring and that cannot be a good thing for you POI or the scope itself. Personally I think scopes are way to expensive to risk more areas of possible damage.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Well, one of my EOTechs is mounted so that it spans across the receiver and rail.

Removing it to clean is not an issue. Flip two little levers and it's off...

Holding zero is not an issue. I can remove it, replace it all I want and it holds zero...

I can see where it could be an issue for a long scope, but for an Aimpoint or EOTech? Nah...

Jamie

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I don't have nearly enough experience to answer that question any better than you could. We know by video how much flex and force an AR goes through during recoil. You can see things shifting and moving a great deal more than we'd have expected otherwise. Whether one type of handguard could help is something that would have to be tested. My guess is no matter how solid it feels the handgaurd and upper are going to flex a great deal more than if the optic was just mounted totally on the upper. Any sepereate movement would be transferred to a rigid scope ring and that cannot be a good thing for you POI or the scope itself. Personally I think scopes are way to expensive to risk more areas of possible damage.

roger that good buddy:thumbsup:

CKOD

Jan 30, 2009

On a YHM tube, if the jam-nut comes loose, then you can have vertical deflection, just tightened one of mine earlier this weekend. But I put it on with a strap-wrench not the YHM forend tool, since the forend tool hadn't showed up yet when I was putting the rifle together. Dont take that as a negative however. The pins take any torque on the tube to keep that from slowly loosening the jamnut. The jam-nut keeps the forend rigid relative to the barrelnut. If it were a super-critical application for me, I'd fasten the jam nut in place with a small amount of low/medium strength loctite.

As far as flexing during firing, I'd imagine it wouldnt be too bad, except if you have a bipod, VFG, or the like mounted, and have said item hanging over solid edge, so the grip/bipod is eating up all the recoil and flexing the tube. Between the AR not having a piston adding to the flex, and the tube being free floating so its completely isolated from what flex there is in the barrel, it would be pretty rigid. Still not as ideal as a mount solidly on the upper and a forward mount.

hard_core_emt

Mar 21, 2010
    Oakland, MD
    My Century Arms AR-15

My Century arms C15 sporter AR has never gave me any problems.I read some horror stories about them but anyway. I have a UTC 4 pos. stock. A1 Optics 4-16x50AO scope. Aluminum Quad rails w/ UTC covers, NcStar bipods and a Patriot muzzle brake. Can hit just about anything i can see with it:thumbsup:... hopefully this summer i can replace the A2 upper with an A3 style. Gotta alot of home work to do on that yet. Any advice is welcome, oh and i wanna replace the front sight with a gas block. Use this gun for coyotes and groundhogs only.

Attachments

• 0316001853.jpg
      0316001853.jpg
      68.8 KB · Views: 941

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    My humble submission (and my first AR):
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    NcStar 3-9X42 Scope on a tri-rail carry handle mount
    UTG M4 Quad rail Hand Guard
    Lancer Polycarb Translucent 30 Rnd Mags

Attachments

• 011b.jpg
      011b.jpg
      46.2 KB · Views: 853

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    If you need to mount your scope further out over your rifle, there are mounts that will accomplish this - basically, they will push the optic forward while mounting on the solid frame of the upper.

Here is a LaRue SPR-E that shows what Apone is saying.

mk12mod2-001.jpg

The scope is cantilevered over the upper, thus placing the optic in the correct shooting position. It also allows me to access the charging handle.

celzey

Sep 26, 2009
    Easton
    Hope this works, have not posted a picture before. Here is mine , deeping it simple

Attachments

• ar1.jpg.jpg
      ar1.jpg.jpg
      80.5 KB · Views: 867

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Newest Child Delivered Today. :D
    CMMG Upper, Lower, and LPK.
    2.5lb trigger my Bill Springfield