• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    Guess I'll make this my first post here.
    aks.jpg

Nice AK's! Do you like the Micro? I am considering one for my rifle

-Z

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    I think the answer is, that while other companies red dot sights use a very small diode, Aimpoint uses bunches of microscopic diodes. The other red dots reflect that one small diode back and that is what the viewer sees. They work great, and usually get around 600 hours of life on a battery. The Aimpoints however use dozens and dozens of literally microscopic diodes all bunched together and then reflected back. (You could fit them all on the head of a pic and have lots of room to spare) They went this way because it enabled them to get up to 80,000 hours of battery life. You can actually leave the thing on for over ten years. So a bunch of bunch microscopic diodes are not going to give quite the crisp reflection back as one much bigger diode.

If you stare at the dot inside a house, you will see it is out of round. But when you bring it at the range on target, you don't notice it at all. And that was the point. Aimpoints are military issue, the others are not. And when you are running and gunning through hovel towns in Iraq and Afghanistan, all you see is a little point on target.

makes sense, guess I'll have to get one after all:D

thanks for the info

-Z

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    For those who haven't seen the other thread...I present, the family (all are built on NoDak receivers, none were bought whole)...pic courtesy of Ferret and his camera.

Left to right:
    Romanian G kit tactikooled, Bulgarian AK-74 (need to chase the threads, thus not break screwed on), and a 1967 old school Romanian.

Attachments

• AKfamily.jpg
      AKfamily.jpg
      35.7 KB · Views: 789

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    i liked the saiga trigger well enough as is so decided against the extra effort of the trigger relocation to the original AK setup.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I've been toying with the idea. Even got a price quote from a FFL friend in PA, I'm might go ahead with it for a S-12.

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    I've been toying with the idea. Even got a price quote from a FFL friend in PA, I'm might go ahead with it for a S-12.

Do it yourself. It is easier than it looks. You need a dremel, video instructions from Saiga12forums available online and the parts. I did mine in less than an hour.

ETA: You could just google the vid or look on youtube..

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Do it yourself. It is easier than it looks. You need a dremel, video instructions from Saiga12forums available online and the parts. I did mine in less than an hour.

ETA: You could just google the vid or look on youtube..

There's a problem with that equation:

Me + Dremel + Firearm = screwed up firearm:innocent0

My buddy, does good work, even cuts a slot for the magazine well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom