• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a216vcti

Cliff
    Oct 19, 2009
    Can we get someone to clearly state, for the record, what is the myth of overlubrication for n00bs like myself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It means don't be the guy who runs the rifle too dry. Running dry is when AR-15s tend to run into reliability issues.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    When I'm done cleaning I put grease where I need to. Then I dip my BCG into some Mobil 1 and put it in the rifle.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    This "oil attracts dirt" thing needs to die too.
    Simple question: What has less friction, oily dirt or dry dirt?
    Oil prevents the dirt that's already on/in the gun to move around, dry dirt is like sandpaper.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    so in a sustained fire fight. which gas tube would melt first? ar or ak?:D

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    so in a sustained fire fight. which gas tube would melt first? ar or ak?:D

Neither. The superior accuracy of the AR and training of 'muricans would lead to many AK's dropped on the ground long before the gas tube of either would melt.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Neither. The superior accuracy of the AR and training of 'muricans would lead to many AK's dropped on the ground long before the gas tube of either would melt.

AK accuracy is about the same as an AR under 100m with military ammo. If the AR has optics different story

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    It's true, the AK is a good weapon. Of course.... Mikhail Kalashnikov's last efforts before dying were to make the AK more like the AR....sooooooooo....:innocent0:D
    ak.JPG
    Capture.JPG

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Only thing I wonder about is that I recall reading somewhere that too much lube in the chamber area can interfere with the cartridge case "obdurating" (I believe that's the term) against the chamber walls, leading to increased thrust on the bolt face. Any comments? Seems like on a blowback action especially that could cause trouble.

On a 50 Beowulf case, this can happen (pretty predictably.) A lot of lube on the chamber walls prohibits the case from its "stick", causing the case to slip and crush the angled area just above the rebated rim. This changes the case dimensions and can lead too issues.

That being said, I think it's a pretty rare issue for most other cartridges. I heavily lube all of my ARs, except for the .22LR. That just seems to gum up after a few hundred rounds, when I lube it.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have always went heavy with lube. Personal and professional. I never understood the concept of less lubrication on metal to metal contact.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I have always went heavy with lube. Personal and professional. I never understood the concept of less lubrication on metal to metal contact.

heavy lube can slow down an action to a point where it wont function properly.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Just what you need, a face full of lube and smoke all over the place. I'll leave it to the "experts" to shoot guns totally drenched in lube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom