• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    but, but nickel boron can be run dry right? especially after being treated with militec... the future of small arms lubricitaihhhhh

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    That's been my experience as well. In fact, my issued M4 was more reliable than a Type II AK that we had.

I used to believe that AKM's were more reliable than an AR till I became a Smith and saw first hand how a properly built AR will run. It also taught me to stay away from "improved" AR Piston Systems as they only make it harder to find proprietary parts, are more finnicky, and really suppress no better.

AK's are made all over the world by various countries but many bolt components are not compatible making it a little tricky to repair one in a pinch. With AK's I mainly saw issues with bolt heads, firing pins, and extractors

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    AK's are made all over the world by various countries but many bolt components are not compatible making it a little tricky to repair one in a pinch. With AK's I mainly saw issues with bolt heads, firing pins, and extractors

A friend of mine was an armorer on a contract in Basrah and echoed your sentiments exactly. He had AK's in the armory from Iraq, Yugoslavia and various East Bloc nations, and there were compatibility issues galore.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    A friend of mine was an armorer on a contract in Basrah and echoed your sentiments exactly. He had AK's in the armory from Iraq, Yugoslavia and various East Bloc nations, and there were compatibility issues galore.

To be fair the only thing required to interchange is magazines.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Only thing I wonder about is that I recall reading somewhere that too much lube in the chamber area can interfere with the cartridge case "obdurating" (I believe that's the term) against the chamber walls, leading to increased thrust on the bolt face. Any comments? Seems like on a blowback action especially that could cause trouble.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Only thing I wonder about is that I recall reading somewhere that too much lube in the chamber area can interfere with the cartridge case "obdurating" (I believe that's the term) against the chamber walls, leading to increased thrust on the bolt face. Any comments? Seems like on a blowback action especially that could cause trouble.

It's also possible that it could kill the primer on some loads. These would be covered under improperly lubing the gun, as the inside of the chamber and breech face don't really need lube.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I used to believe that AKM's were more reliable than an AR till I became a Smith and saw first hand how a properly built AR will run.

:lol: So you're telling me that AR parts made by all the various countries will 100% interchange?? This stuff is laughable!! :rolleyes:

The day an AR is as or more reliable than a real arsenal built AK is the day that Christ returns.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    :lol: So you're telling me that AR parts made by all the various countries will 100% interchange?? This stuff is laughable!! :rolleyes:

The day an AR is as or more reliable than a real arsenal built AK is the day that Christ returns.

I'm in the U.S. and yes unless it's some bastardized AR all parts will interchange.

AK'S in the U.S. are from all parts of the world.

I wish I had time to make a wager with your best against mine. I'll just let Mr Vickers opinion and my experience actually working on things comfort me. Perhaps you can write another piece about beating up WW2 clones with a mallet. That's some skill there.

You win.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Does the same lubrication idea apply if one is stationed guarding places like the missile towers in North Dakota or anywhere in Alaska through the winter?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

Yes, it's described in Hatcher's Notebook. It can be dangerous in some cases like bad headspace allowing the case to accelerate back, weak lugs, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom