• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Really? What would actually happen here, the sparks would ignite the backstop, or what? Copper ammo does not generate sparks?

(I always thought it was to protect the backstop for indoor ranges since the harder metals chew it up).

I'm not sure really, it's just what I've been told by several different ranges. I know that there have been documented cases of sparks causing brush fires at outdoor ranges after striking steel, but I don't really see the threat for an indoor range. Probably some insurance reg. :rolleyes:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I'm not sure really, it's just what I've been told by several different ranges. I know that there have been documented cases of sparks causing brush fires at outdoor ranges after striking steel, but I don't really see the threat for an indoor range. Probably some insurance reg. :rolleyes:

What I find (only mildly) annoying is that the rules vary from indoor range to indoor range. I can name 4 indoor ranges within an hour with 4 different rules, and no obvious reason as to why. Anything from frangible-ammo only (expensive!) to the magnet test (neither steel case or core) to steel case is ok, but not steel core.

I suspect that the people who man the counter have no idea, and make chit up. Also I suspect there are some owners making stuff up and the real reason is to reduce maintenance costs. Maybe "It chews up the backstop and that chits expensive" just does not cut it with gun people. Hey - I'll pay extra to shoot my .50 BMG indoors!!! Pleeeeeese!

Of course... this is MD. Maybe the Health Dept or MDE are worried about indoor brush fires. Or boolits penetrating the backstop and harming chillun. :sarcasm:

Incidentally: for TMGN I was informed that steel case is ok, but not steel core. Wolf, Tula, and Bear are ok since they're steel cased but not steel core.
    :party29::party29:

cowboys5time25

Dec 20, 2012
    Frederick
    I'm at TMGN now. The girl at the front counter said tula and wolf are fine up to 50bmg.

I also asked for the cost to share a lane, she told me $18 hr. So if that's true, it make no sense to share.

cowboys5time25

Dec 20, 2012
    Frederick
    I asked if I where to bring a guest with me, how much would they charge for them to share, she told me $18. I asked if the rate was discounted and she said no. The staff did not seem too knowledgeable. The first thing the girl did while inspecting my gun was put her hand in front of the muzzle as she went to check the chamber. The RSO did not know how to use the target control, Matt came in later and said that feature wasn't up and running yet. (Target flip).

And the ac is not working, you will sweat!

Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010
    What I find (only mildly) annoying is that the rules vary from indoor range to indoor range. I can name 4 indoor ranges within an hour with 4 different rules, and no obvious reason as to why. Anything from frangible-ammo only (expensive!) to the magnet test (neither steel case or core) to steel case is ok, but not steel core.

I suspect that the people who man the counter have no idea, and make chit up. Also I suspect there are some owners making stuff up and the real reason is to reduce maintenance costs. Maybe "It chews up the backstop and that chits expensive" just does not cut it with gun people. Hey - I'll pay extra to shoot my .50 BMG indoors!!! Pleeeeeese!

Of course... this is MD. Maybe the Health Dept or MDE are worried about indoor brush fires. Or boolits penetrating the backstop and harming chillun. :sarcasm:

Incidentally: for TMGN I was informed that steel case is ok, but not steel core. Wolf, Tula, and Bear are ok since they're steel cased but not steel core.
    :party29::party29:

I always thought it was because they didn't like picking steel cases out of their brass they scrap.:innocent0

I don't know if they still do, but OnTarget used to make you buy tula ammo from them when you rented a handgun.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I always thought it was because they didn't like picking steel cases out of their brass they scrap.:innocent0

I don't know if they still do, but OnTarget used to make you buy tula ammo from them when you rented a handgun.

ok, well, for less than $10 you can get a magnet on a stick at Home Depot. Great for picking up metal bolts from underneath things, and also steel cases. Like a broom for metal.

On Target does make you buy the ammo for rentals, but I have not seen people getting Tula recently. I think they just give you whatever they managed to buy in bulk.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I've never had my ammo checked at NRA Range. I went to a range in Middle River and all the 9mm I had was verboten. Brass case, but magnet stuck to the bull-eet. I buy all non magnetic stuff now.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    Stopped by last night for a few moments to check the place out, I've known the owners since they started this endeavor. VERY nice place, I think they've done well with how they set the place up. I encourage everyone to check it out when they open to the public on Thursday. Look for some nice promotions from them in the near future as well. Also in the future there will be a "exotic" machinegun rental promotion once a month or so, items such as an MG42, M249 SAW, M1919 Browning and maybe even a M2HB "Ma Duece"!

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    You have my attention...

Yes, this is something we are working on with them. Right now they have a decent selection of shoulder fired subguns and machine guns for rental, we are looking to help them expand their rental selection every no and then:D

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I went to TMGN twice this weekend and had good experiences both times. I first got out there on Saturday afternoon and the place was practically deserted! I filled out some personal information (plus a test about range rules) electronically using an iPad that they had set up by the front desk and then had my picture taken to match up with my membership card. Then it was on to the range to compare my new/old Glock 19 (bought it about 18 months ago but never fired it until this weekend) to my trusty Sig Sauer P226 9mm. Personally, I liked the Sig much better because of less recoil and better "hand feel". The staff were very friendly and pleasant and the whole place was neat and clean. I bought my membership to TMGN last October, so I was very glad to finally get to use it!

I returned yesterday around 2:30 PM with my Sig Sauer 516 and the place was a zoo! There was almost no space in the parking lot and the reception/lobby area was absolutely packed. Someone told me that TMGN was doing free handgun rentals on account of Father's Day (I did not confirm this with anyone on the staff) and that that was the reason for the crowd. But I did not have to wait for very long (10 min tops) and then I was able to get an hour on a lane. It has been a long time since I fired the Sig 516 so it felt good to get some time getting reacquainted with the firearm. I need to zero the iron sights and will do so sometime in the near future.

TMGN appears to have a lot of handguns for rent and I plan on checking out some of the smaller handguns suitable for CCW in the days to come.

All in all, I was very happy with my experience at TMGN. I hope that the business thrives because it is great to have a quality range within 15 miles of my house. Several years ago I bought an annual membership at On Target in Severn but only used it about 5-6 times during the entire year because it was too far from my house and would take me about 75 min driving each way. I hope to visit TMGN much more often than that!

Cal68

I visited TMGN this past Friday. Very nice facility. I had previously been a member at an indoor range in Mont-Co and I visited an indoor range in Jessup quite often. Never really had an issue with with either place. Enjoyed shooting at both. It was the drive to get there and in one case, inability to bring my own ammo that bothered me. TMGN is around 7 minutes or so from my home. If I could ride my bike there, I would but I don not know the MSP rules for transporting firearms and ammo on a bicycle. Staff was nice, very helpful. RSO's were fine. I-pad sign in lost internet a few times but heck, that happens at home (damn Comcast). Worth a look if you have not been. I'll still head over to WV to shoot rifle, but for a quick fix, its very nice. I'll have to look at Heritage as well at some point. Nice we have more options around Frederick.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I stopped by TMGN to shoot on Saturday around noon. Hardly anyone was on the range at the time, though I was told the place was packed earlier that morning. Staff was great, and the cool, very well ventilated and illuminated range made it a really nice place to shoot. Getting some class III trigger time is always sweet :gun2:

I want to give a shout-out to Nicole, who remembered my ID (they hold that behind the counter when you're on the range) and got it back to me as I was heading for the door. Phew! :bowdown: If only they weren't so darn far from me :sad53:

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I want to give a shout-out to Nicole, who remembered my ID (they hold that behind the counter when you're on the range) and got it back to me as I was heading for the door. Phew! :bowdown: If only they weren't so darn far from me :sad53:

I have noticed that they have a small sign posted by the front door to remind customers as they are exiting that they should remember to pick up their ID's before they leave the building. It had occurred to me that maybe they should enlarge it a bit so that it definitely catches everyone's eyes.

Cal68

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom