• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    LOL, typical WIS; I've forgotten more watches than most normal people have owned. I came across these in a seldom used PB folder this morning:

Maratac Explorer II Clone

DSC_1066.jpg

DSC_1063.jpg

Who is the maker of this watch? I really like it. Looks like the original Rolex Explorer.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I like those reverse display G Shocks but my aging eyes don't so much. Enjoy it while you're able! :-)

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I called it a Maratac but they make straps, the watch is a Chronotac and they show up on ebay from time to time. Double checked, yep, there's a few FS on the bay right now.

Found their website. $100 on a NATO strap. Wish it had an ETA 2824 in it instead of a cheapo Chinese movement. The rest of it looks really nice.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I bought this Seiko diver in 1984 from the PX in Ft. Benning when I graduated. I gave it to my Father on my first leave. Although gingerly, he wore it for 30 years until he died back in September. Perfect condition, never a service needed. We are again reunited.
    I swap this one out about every other day with a G shock.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386766337038.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1386766337038.jpg
      63 KB · Views: 361

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    I bought this Seiko diver in 1984 from the PX in Ft. Benning when I graduated. I gave it to my Father on my first leave. Although gingerly, he wore it for 30 years until he died back in September. Perfect condition, never a service needed. We are again reunited.

Glad to hear that. I have two Seikos and I was just thinking the other day about when it would need serious servicing.

Sorry about your father. September was a crappy month for me too.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Yay watch thread.

I'm kind of a watch geek too, but I tend to buy one at a time and wear them for a long time. My dad collected vintage Hamiltons when I was growing up, and I like them too.

My most recent two:

Hamilton Navy Frogman Titanium:

hamilton3.jpg

Then I went to adjust it a couple of years ago and the crown and stem came off in my hand. I was going to send it to have it serviced, and bought a Maratac Pilot Midsize to wear in the meantime. I ended up liking the Maratac so much that I never sent the Hamilton. This reminds me I need to do that, because it's a great watch and I love it.

The Maratac:

maratac.jpg

I also own a Girard Perregaux regulator that I inherited from my mother's grandfather. I know very little about it and it's not currently running and needs a service. I need to find someone who knows what the hell they're doing with this particular watch first, though. Mine is very similar to this:
    P6254969.JPG

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Glad to hear that. I have two Seikos and I was just thinking the other day about when it would need serious servicing.

Sorry about your father. September was a crappy month for me too.

Yeah. September, bad. Mom two years ago in Sept just after her birthday and Dad almost two years to the day. Thanks for the condolence.

I called Seiko and asked them about some sort of maintenance ,gaskets or whatever. The lady asked what was wrong with it and I told her nothing. She said just leave it alone. :)

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD

Sorry to hear about your father :(

I would argue the movement in the diver/SKX line is the most robust ever put in a watch. It is amazing how long they can run for and how long they can accurately run for between services!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So what's the secret to not destroying watch faces? I can't imagine buying an expensive watch. Every one I've ever owned ended its life with the face looking like wolverine sharpened his claws on it.

Depends on what the crystal is made from. A lot of higher-end watches have a sapphire crystal. My Rolex has been through quite a bit. The case and the band have a lot of scratches, the crystal is pristine.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Depends on what the crystal is made from. A lot of higher-end watches have a sapphire crystal. My Rolex has been through quite a bit. The case and the band have a lot of scratches, the crystal is pristine.

It's all about the crystal.

I don't think I'll ever want another watch that doesn't have a sapphire crystal. I've tried various other synthetic ones, but they always end up scratched sooner or later. Sapphire doesn't.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    It's all about the crystal.

I don't think I'll ever want another watch that doesn't have a sapphire crystal. I've tried various other synthetic ones, but they always end up scratched sooner or later. Sapphire doesn't.

Sure it does. It just takes a lot more to scratch it. The downside is once you scratch it it can't be fixed. Hesalite and acrylic crystals can be buffed/repaired but scratch quite easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom