• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I found some PDF electronic catalog files from MidwayUSA on the computer. Same bullet, same part #, same quantity. I also included a price for some Federal green tip XM855 ball. The top image is from 2006, middle is today and the bottom is the XM855 price from 2006.

Attachments

• midway2006.jpg
      midway2006.jpg
      29.2 KB · Views: 383
    • midway today.jpg
      midway today.jpg
      21.1 KB · Views: 382
    • 556 price.jpg
      556 price.jpg
      48.9 KB · Views: 380

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    I just shed a few tears. :sad20:

It's hard believe that in six years the price of ammo has doubled. At least I know I'm investing well.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    I remember buying South African 7.62x51 for 179/1260, 5.56 for 299/2700. Portuguese 7.62x51 for 139/k, 9mm ball for ~95/k, Russian and chinese 7.62x39 for about 70/k.....7.62x54r east german for $1/box of 10 on stripper clips.

I still have a lot of it.

hk21guy

Nov 12, 2009
    glen burnie/pasadena
    miss those days of cheap ammo as i was to young to buy or shoot the fun stuff then. the fact of just looking at the prices makes me wish we would have stocked up more on it then. but then again the was alot of money then i guess.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    When I started reloading -smokeless powder was $14.99 per lb, primers were $1.79 per 100 pack. Bullets varied in price but V-maxs used to be $10.99 per hundred, and deer caliber Nosler BT were $12.99 per 50.

Now powder runs about $23 (and up!)per lb, and primers, $4.00 per 100.

Its still far cheaper (and more accurate!) to load your own!

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    At a recent AAF&G event, I picked up some old Gun Test magazines, from 2005, before I started shooting. Wow! I should have been buying guns!

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I can still remember loading with my grandad and buying primers for under $1 per 100.
    IMR 3031 for my 06 was about $3.50 per lb.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    At a recent AAF&G event, I picked up some old Gun Test magazines, from 2005, before I started shooting. Wow! I should have been buying guns!

I paid $400-$450 for a Colt Lightweight Commander in 1982 or so. According to one site $400 is worth a little over $930 in 2011. (Inflation adjusted) A quick search of Impactguns.com shows a new Colt Commander for $800 and some change. Bud's seems to be out of stock on most Colts. Top Gun supply has a similar Colt for a similar price but the Colt LWC XSE is $970 at Top Gun Supply.

Obviously if one bought a few HK 91 or 93 series rifles and never fired them and had plenty of authentic HK parts, you would be sitting on a gold mine today.

Af_catfish

Abandon All Hope
    Sep 6, 2011
    Bremen, Ohio
    The recent surge of ammo prices is because of people hoarding ammo when Obama got elected in 08. That caused a shortage which meant that prices went up. Now that everything is caught up the prices would go down again. But why would a store charge less for a product they could get more for that people are going to buy?

ViperRy

May 26, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    1. There are far more firearm owners now. Simple supply and demand.

2. Similar to fuel prices, an event such as Katrina tested the market has held at elevated prices. The Obummer election tested the ammo market. Retailers realized they can raise the prices and people would buy regardless. Manufacturers caught on and raised their prices to the distributors/retailers.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    i keep a 2005 J&G flyer just to cry over, i got started in 2004 so i remember the great prices and selection at the time, i never could have imagined it would be so short lived, thankfully i did a whole lot of buying in my first 3 years.

ive still got turkish 8mm that i bought for $35 per 700.

i remember paying $75 at chantilly for a 900 round case of 50's yugo and thinking i paid a little too much.

$55 turks and $150 unissued yugo SKSs, i got both, should have stacked em deep though.

if we can kick the communist in chief out and turn things around some, there's no good reason gas cant go back down to under $2, if that were sustained for a few years atleast, then that would go a looong way towards lowering commodities prices, and as a result lower ammo prices too.

unfortunately the price of guns themselves is simply due to supply and demand, winning the gun control fight has had the wonderful effect of exploding the numbers of gun owners and making gun ownership mainstream even on mainstream media outlets.

which is all great, but unfortunately makes gun prices skyrocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom