• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I told someone that I was going to Hollywood for Turkey day and she asked me if I was going through LAX. She hated airports on holidays. Silly Rabbit!!

TwinTurboDiesel

Hellbilly Punk
    May 21, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Anybody actually seen that quarry in person...... I'll try and get pics I'll be down there saturday. Its a massive hole. People at the bottom look like ants from the top.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

tailboardtech

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2011
    upperco
    Been at the bottom, makes ya realize how small you really are compared to the world, along with how easy it would be to be run over with a quarry truck when your in a pickup ( picture the whole"ant, and your foot scenario.") I have also been to a open pit quarry in utah that makes texas quarry look like a pot hole

TwinTurboDiesel

Hellbilly Punk
    May 21, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Been at the bottom, makes ya realize how small you really are compared to the world, along with how easy it would be to be run over with a quarry truck when your in a pickup ( picture the whole"ant, and your foot scenario.") I have also been to a open pit quarry in utah that makes texas quarry look like a pot hole

Its a small world we live in.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Anybody actually seen that quarry in person...... I'll try and get pics I'll be down there saturday. Its a massive hole. People at the bottom look like ants from the top.

I worked in that quarry for almost two years. And it is a deep hole in the ground. And the calcite mines are HUGEMUNGOUS. But they will eventually harvest all of the usable stone and then they will have to shut it down. I always wonder what they will do with the big hole then.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    It's a neighborhood that has been there for centuries. And it is a quarry that has built nearly all of the roads around the central Maryland area and supplied calcite to industry world wide. It is a town that progress gobbled up by an industrial park that took over and changed the area from Texas to Hunt Valley for the sake of some pompous developer who did not want to call the industrial park Texas or Cockeysville. And now it's the new home of a Mexican restaurant. :party29:

What was the name of the bar that was right across from the quarry entrance? Wish I could help you out by remembering the the saying on the side of the building. Got thrown out of there for cursing, figured that was a new low point in my life:innocent0

TwinTurboDiesel

Hellbilly Punk
    May 21, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    I worked in that quarry for almost two years. And it is a deep hole in the ground. And the calcite mines are HUGEMUNGOUS. But they will eventually harvest all of the usable stone and then they will have to shut it down. I always wonder what they will do with the big hole then.

By law it has to be filled in and reclaimed. That's well over 100 years away though. As you know there is an underground network of tunnels under hunt valley and cockeysville. Cool stuff.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Haven't you ever felt a little " quake" in the HV area? I've always wanted to see the mime myself. Anyway, OP, you will love La Tolteca. Food is really good.

TwinTurboDiesel

Hellbilly Punk
    May 21, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Takes a couple seconds for the sound to get to us. Might help ya gauge the size of it. A lot of people don't even know its there.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    By law it has to be filled in and reclaimed. That's well over 100 years away though. As you know there is an underground network of tunnels under hunt valley and cockeysville. Cool stuff.

That is VERY cool. How deep is it and how deep are the tunnels? Sounds like a neat place to work.

TwinTurboDiesel

Hellbilly Punk
    May 21, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    That is VERY cool. How deep is it and how deep are the tunnels? Sounds like a neat place to work.

They are 165ft below sea level and roughly 530ft down overall. Pit is a mile long and a ½ wide. Tunnels I'm not too sure about as they have been closed and blocked off for years. The geology and maps they have show they are there. My guess they are in the 150ft maybe more range. Remember the tunnels are above sea level but under cockeysville.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The vary.

The one in Bel Air was good when I last ate there (many years ago). The Churchville one is not as good, the food tends to be bland.

The one in Aberdeen (old carsin's Steak House, oder Japan House) is pretty good. I have not eaten in the one in the former Holiday Inn (can't remember what hotel it is now).

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    What was the name of the bar that was right across from the quarry entrance? Wish I could help you out by remembering the the saying on the side of the building. Got thrown out of there for cursing, figured that was a new low point in my life:innocent0

McDermots "Don't worry about it Tavern". At the corner of Church Lane and Rail Road Avenue... It was tiny inside but it was epic in the hearts of the patrons.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    They are 165ft below sea level and roughly 530ft down overall. Pit is a mile long and a ½ wide. Tunnels I'm not too sure about as they have been closed and blocked off for years. The geology and maps they have show they are there. My guess they are in the 150ft maybe more range. Remember the tunnels are above sea level but under cockeysville.

If they are at 530' now... then they have already started the back fill process. When I left there in May 1986, the deepest was at 590' and they were breaking 600' two months later.

I always thought the place would make a great water park. The hole could be filled back to the 50' level and the Little Gun Powder river would do the rest to fill it up. That would make a very nice lake for swimming, boating and fishing. They could even hold some nice power boat races there.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    McDermots "Don't worry about it Tavern". At the corner of Church Lane and Rail Road Avenue... It was tiny inside but it was epic in the hearts of the patrons.

That's it! I knew I could count on you. It was a dump but Classic!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom