• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KL1

Feb 6, 2013
    Northern MoCo
    So, I was stunned by this initially, too. But there's a link in the article to the actual lawsuit that he has filed, and in the part that sums up the circumstances, it makes it clear that one of the "tools" he displayed was a pocket knife, and he was suspended for the pocket knife, not the tools. I'm still no big fan of zero tolerance policies, but it would seem reality in this case is not quite as absurd as this article makes it sound.
    https://www.rutherford.org/files_images/general/04-22-2013_Bartlett-Complaint.pdf

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    So, I was stunned by this initially, too. But there's a link in the article to the actual lawsuit that he has filed, and in the part that sums up the circumstances, it makes it clear that one of the "tools" he displayed was a pocket knife, and he was suspended for the pocket knife, not the tools. I'm still no big fan of zero tolerance policies, but it would seem reality in this case is not quite as absurd as this article makes it sound.
    https://www.rutherford.org/files_images/general/04-22-2013_Bartlett-Complaint.pdf

Oh, it was a pocket knife. Maybe they should have called the swat team :lol2:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

A pocket knife rationalization makes it no less absurd.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County

Did the knife have a high capacity clip and a thing that goes up?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Did the knife have a high capacity clip and a thing that goes up?

It has a bottle opener goes up. The bottle opener is what put it over the top and got him suspended. He's lucky it didn't have a cork remover. Dude would have been SWAT'd for that.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    If the school has a no knife policy, and you knowingly bring a knife in, you have violated the policy and there should be consequences. Now a debate on weather or not a pocket knife should be on a banned list, is another question all together. I believe, in this society today, it should be banned in a juvenile educational environment, because if we do not allow the children to bring them, then neither should the teacher. If it were just gardening tools, that would be ridiculous.

Brickerenator

Nov 10, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    If the school has a no knife policy, and you knowingly bring a knife in, you have violated the policy and there should be consequences. Now a debate on weather or not a pocket knife should be on a banned list, is another question all together. I believe, in this society today, it should be banned in a juvenile educational environment, because if we do not allow the children to bring them, then neither should the teacher. If it were just gardening tools, that would be ridiculous.

Unfortunately, I agree.

This is why most HR textbooks don't advise the use of zero-tolerance policies. Why? You MUST enforce them in EVERY instance, regardless of other factors. If they didn't suspend this teacher, and suspended a different teacher for bringing a pocket knife on campus, they open themselves to a discrimination lawsuit.

It's sad, but it's true.

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32

A policy is no different than a law. It only provides guidance and judgment.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    WTF is out world coming to? I brought my dad's 1861 musket to school in 8th grade for a social studies report. The funny thing is the teacher said I could bring it in if I took the firing pin out. I tried explaining that there was no "firing pin" on an 1861 Springfield musket, but it was useless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom