• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Who hear has a Taylor's 1873. I was playing with them at the Chantilly gunshow and must say I am really impressed. Especially the smoke wagon actions.

They had a neat engraved blued/casehardened model that would make a great barbeque gun.

Plus they will do the smoke wagon on any model for a few $$$$

I see a pair of these in my future someday.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

Visual aid

1873CattlemanNewModelFrame.jpg

http://www.taylorsfirearmsstore.com/product87.html

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I have an Uberti Cattleman, basically the same thing. Theyre awesome. My favorite handgun I own. All autos are boring after it.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I have a Taylor's, but not the Smoke Wagon model. Added a set of Wolff springs; it's very smooth.

Taylor's does a great job with their imports. Interesting info that they can "Smoke Wagon" any model. Hmmm.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I'll put it this way. When I got mine, my autos, and rifles got dusty. It's a different level of fun. Get .45lc for your first one! Gotta stay authentic!

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Don't have their SAAs but do have 2 Sharps and had a Yellowboy.

Taylors is a great company. The two ladies that started the company, Tammy and Sue, really took a chance when they started up betting on Civil War Reenact and CAS as growing shooting sports.

There right in Winchester, Va so you always pay a visit to their showroom or buy direct from them if you're a Va resident.

Last edited:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I'll put it this way. When I got mine, my autos, and rifles got dusty. It's a different level of fun. Get .45lc for your first one! Gotta stay authentic!

Ya unfortunately the engraved model which i am leaning towards only appears to come in .38/.357 in the blue. But thats cheaper ammo.

Who knows, maybe I need three?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Does anyone shoot these A LOT? I'm interested in some SAA and other "cowboy" type guns down the road, and other than DT restorations, it seems Uberti/Stoeger/Beretta is really the only game in town. However these things have a reputation for coming with soft parts etc.

Kuhnhausen advises to have your SAA clone and all of its parts heat treated properly if you actually plan on shooting large volumes through em. I may just "pony up" and buy a Colt 3rd gen... but the prices of the Uberti (and other rebranded guns they produce) revolvers are attractive...

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Does anyone shoot these A LOT? I'm interested in some SAA and other "cowboy" type guns down the road, and other than DT restorations, it seems Uberti/Stoeger/Beretta is really the only game in town. However these things have a reputation for coming with soft parts etc.

Kuhnhausen advises to have your SAA clone and all of its parts heat treated properly if you actually plan on shooting large volumes through em. I may just "pony up" and buy a Colt 3rd gen... but the prices of the Uberti (and other rebranded guns they produce) revolvers are attractive...

You know I had similar concerns, but there are a lot of people who have these guns, and I have never heard of a major breakage. I wouldnt go shooting hotloads out of them, but I dont think I would be afraid of running an Uberti clone 10,000 rds.

Below is the one that just really caught my eye
    pop_wm_2004416.jpg

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    You know I had similar concerns, but there are a lot of people who have these guns, and I have never heard of a major breakage. I wouldnt go shooting hotloads out of them, but I dont think I would be afraid of running an Uberti clone 10,000 rds.

Below is the one that just really caught my eye
    pop_wm_2004416.jpg

Yeah plus from time to time you can get a set of 2 with the same serial number... pretty neat. I've been inside of a LOT of Ubert-built guns, and they're usually pretty decent. I really would like an SAA in the older configuration with the fixed firing pin... but I dunno. You know with a Colt you have a collectible and a shooter in one piece....

I saw the Taylor's booth at the show yesterday but didn't have time to look closely. Being a gunsmith, I'd really like a genuinely case-hardened frame gun. Uberti uses a coloring process to give it the look, and does a decent job but I know in my heart it's just cosmetic! Not a big deal for anyone but a collector though.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Yeah plus from time to time you can get a set of 2 with the same serial number... pretty neat. I've been inside of a LOT of Ubert-built guns, and they're usually pretty decent. I really would like an SAA in the older configuration with the fixed firing pin... but I dunno. You know with a Colt you have a collectible and a shooter in one piece....

I saw the Taylor's booth at the show yesterday but didn't have time to look closely. Being a gunsmith, I'd really like a genuinely case-hardened frame gun. Uberti uses a coloring process to give it the look, and does a decent job but I know in my heart it's just cosmetic! Not a big deal for anyone but a collector though.

Ya, on these you are talking $1400 matched, with a tuned trigger. The trigger on the smoke wagon converted me instantly, it makes my Ruger blackhawk feel 8lbs! Thats about the entry price for one Colt if it stops at that, and I have never felt one from the factory that had that smooth a trigger on cock or pull.

I may buy a smoke house in .45LC (since I am set up to reload it) before I pull the trigger on a set of these engraved models.

NathanJ

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2010
    Salisbury Maryland
    Ya, on these you are talking $1400 matched, with a tuned trigger. The trigger on the smoke wagon converted me instantly, it makes my Ruger blackhawk feel 8lbs! Thats about the entry price for one Colt if it stops at that, and I have never felt one from the factory that had that smooth a trigger on cock or pull.

I may buy a smoke house in .45LC (since I am set up to reload it) before I pull the trigger on a set of these engraved models.

You can do the same thing by purchasing the wolff spring package. WOW is that a hare trigger!

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    My latest sh*thouse read has been the Kunhausen Colt SAA manual. I am reading it cover-to-cover over and over again. It's sinking in.... within a year or two once I knock out my current of list of things I NEED, I will make the jump to SAA. Not sure if I'm gonna nerd it up and go all-out SASS style... but the more good westerns I watch, it's tempting.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    My latest sh*thouse read has been the Kunhausen Colt SAA manual. I am reading it cover-to-cover over and over again. It's sinking in.... within a year or two once I knock out my current of list of things I NEED, I will make the jump to SAA. Not sure if I'm gonna nerd it up and go all-out SASS style... but the more good westerns I watch, it's tempting.

Got this book about 2-3 months ago. This is the book on the SAA pistol. Highly recommend it!

Smores: Come on, ya' know you wanna.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom