• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • C-130_MAC

May 3, 2013
    PMAG DROP FIX on TAVOR

I don't think the file work on PMAGs needs to be much at all.

The IWI mag drops fine, 2 PMAGs that I had did not.

Looking at the side of all 3 together I noticed the difference.

All that was needed (5 seconds with a file) was a removal of some of the arc at the top of the mags that don't drop. This just made the PMAGs match the IWI mag.

Sorry for the crummy little hand drawn picture.:o

Attachments

• PMAG_TAVOR_NO-DROP_FIX.jpg
      PMAG_TAVOR_NO-DROP_FIX.jpg
      54.2 KB · Views: 691
    Last edited:

mdcktt21

Jan 25, 2013
    Central MD
    I'm zeroed at 50 but I think will change to 75. I have had no issues with C Products metal mags or Gen 2 PMags. Also used bushy 20 rd metal mags with no issue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Most guns with high.. Height over bore should be zeroed at longer ranges. 75 to 100 yards.
    This applies to AUGs, AR15 with carry handle mounted optics, g36? FS 2000, PS90 etc.

The 25 and 50 yard BZO that is intended for standard Height AR sights/ red dots will not work too well with height over bore greater than 1.4".

Run a your set up and loads on a ballistic calculator. deterrmine which distance of zero best suits your application. For the Tavor.. 0-150 yards. I would really suggest giving the 75 yard zero a try. After 150 yards... Simply the poi drops 1.5 " for every 50 yards up to 500.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I just installed a Aimpoint PRO after initially testing the rifle with a Eotech 513.

The Eotech allowed for about a 6 inch group shooting off sand bags at 100 yards. That's not optimal accuracy to me but I will take the blame. Using an optic without magnification limits my ability to zero the rifle properly. The Aimpoint PRO and Eotech have a perfect CO-witness with the BUIS not that I plan to use the BUIS often.

As for ammo I have found it a little strange that the Tavor 16.5 prefers 55 grain ammo over the 62 grain. Both were military issue ammo.

Today I plan to try out the Aimpoint PRO with an Aimpoint 3X multiplier installed. Using the same ammo though.

SCARCQB thanks for the review. I have come to almost the same conclusions but do have a few comments.

Ergonomics could have been better served for more people if the grip had interchangeable back straps and more storage space could have been put into the base of the grip. (I like to keep optic batteries there on my AR-15's) This gives quick easy access without having to take the rifle out of action.

The safety like on the AR-15 is easy for me to put into the FIRE mode but cumbersome to put into SAFE mode. This is a personal issue as I have large hands.

SCAR you mentioned an oval effect for the back up sights. Could that be caused by your glasses or contact lenses? ( I don't know if you need corrective lenses) I have found this problem when trying to use cheap safety/shooting glasses with open sights on other firearms.

For everyone that has purchased one of these rifles please read the manual. The IWI Tavor is probably a little different than any other firearm you own or have fired to date. As a bonus the manual is very detailed and easy to read through.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Mdeng, its my glasses. Dammit, need to see the eye doctor soon.

BTW, what range did you zero the Tavor at? I did the 25 yard zero at first . To give me a 25-250 yard zero. But it shot high at 100.

The 75 meter zero, using an optic that has a 3" HOB like the aimpoints or eotechs will give you a 75-100 zero, and less than 1 " deviation in elevation/ poi from 50 yards to 175 yards using 55 gr fmj. Anything closer than 50. The gun will shoot low 3".

If the gun is zeroed with an optic at has a 3" HOB at 25 yards. It will shoot 8" high at 100. That sucks. But that zero will allow for COM hits from 25 to 250 yards. It is more of a combat , battle sight zero. For range use, zero at longer distances.

Attachments

• Tavoroptics.jpg
      Tavoroptics.jpg
      87.9 KB · Views: 752
    Last edited:

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Talking about where to zero it, the taller sights make it for a larger sight offset in close distances. I tried shooting it quickly in close and I had to aim for the base of the neck to hit in the 0 zone of an IDPA target.

JohnnyBmore

This is not a"FREE STATE"
    Feb 3, 2011
    Nice review ... Sights on the side rail is wild!

OK , So whens the MD shooter "lets Zero our Tavors" Range day ????

I feel like I could learn a thing or two ..... :D

My Tavor is battling my Krebs SLR 107 for Favorite rifle right now ...... The Tavor is just a lot of fun, and just has soo many advantages .:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JT10uJICro

JWLaRue

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Nov 23, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    SCAR you mentioned an oval effect for the back up sights. Could that be caused by your glasses or contact lenses? ( I don't know if you need corrective lenses) I have found this problem when trying to use cheap safety/shooting glasses with open sights on other firearms.

I've been wondering about this too. I too see that oval effect through the rear sight and I do not wear corrective glasses or contacts. I see the same thing with and without protective (zero power) glasses.

...it's got to be some sort of optical illusion?

-Jeff

p.s. a "sight your Tavor day"would be a blast!

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Mdeng, its my glasses. Dammit, need to see the eye doctor soon.

BTW, what range did you zero the Tavor at? I did the 25 yard zero at first . To give me a 25-250 yard zero. But it shot high at 100.

The 75 meter zero, using an optic that has a 3" HOB like the aimpoints or eotechs will give you a 75-100 zero, and less than 1 " deviation in elevation/ poi from 50 yards to 175 yards using 55 gr fmj. Anything closer than 50. The gun will shoot low 3".

If the gun is zeroed with an optic at has a 3" HOB at 25 yards. It will shoot 8" high at 100. That sucks. But that zero will allow for COM hits from 25 to 250 yards. It is more of a combat , battle sight zero. For range use, zero at longer distances.

Due to range schedule I couldn't use the 100 yard rifle range today. I was limited to the 50 yard range and decided to get it on paper at 25 yards today. I will move it out to 75 once I can use the 100 yard range.

I will add a quick review of the Aimpoint PRO. 1st it looks good on the rifle compared to the Eotech which just seems out of place to me.

I really like the quick mount that requires no tools. One warning though about the quick mount. Make sure the sight is mounted far enough back that you have clearance on the charging handle. It hurts to pinch your thumb between them while racking the bolt. Another option is to reverse the side the mounting knob is on. It appears to me that this can be easily done by removing the mount spacer screws and turning it around. I'm going to give it a try at a later date and will post the results.

The Aimpoint has a better reticle than the Eotech 513 in my opinion. It's less cluttered and is a crisper/smaller dot.

Once Zero'd I was able to keep my shots inside a 2 inch square at 25 yards. This is not incredible accuracy but acceptable considering the ammo and heavy trigger. ( I do not plan to modify the trigger until I have thoroughly tested the rifle.)

I was using an Aimpoint 3X multiplier with the PRO reddot. The multiplier gave me the edge I need to see a fairly small sight in target. I will use a larger target at 75 yards when I have the opportunity to correct my Zero.

I plan to work on a hand load for this rifle in the near future. Hopefully I will find something that will work for my 16 inch AR Carbine as well as the Tavor.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I've been wondering about this too. I too see that oval effect through the rear sight and I do not wear corrective glasses or contacts. I see the same thing with and without protective (zero power) glasses.

...it's got to be some sort of optical illusion?

-Jeff

p.s. a "sight your Tavor day"would be a blast!

You know at first I thought this might be a SCARCQB only problem. (the BUIS were made for round eyes, SCARCQB doesn't have round eyes. :lol2: )

But then I considered the effect of corrective lenses and safety glasses. They seem to be the best possible cause.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    You know at first I thought this might be a SCARCQB only problem. (the BUIS were made for round eyes, SCARCQB doesn't have round eyes. :lol2: )

But then I considered the effect of corrective lenses and safety glasses. They seem to be the best possible cause.

:sad20:

Get the fluck off my rawn, you dum plick. Pass the ply lice

They should have made it like the KAC Buis... The Tavor's rear sight looks like a posicle stick with a hole drilled on it.

MDeng, BTW... Hope you had a Happy Birthday!

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    :sad20:

Get the fluck off my rawn, you dum plick. Pass the ply lice

They should have made it like the KAC Buis... The Tavor's rear sight looks like a posicle stick with a hole drilled on it.

MDeng, BTW... Hope you had a Happy Birthday!

Thanks for the Birthday wishes, sorry I couldn't resist the easy joke. :lol2:

I agree that the BUIS on the Tavor suck. With all the engineering that went into these rifles I can't believe this is the best they could come up with.

SCARCQB how well do the Magpul BUIS function on the forward accessory rail? I have a set in my parts bin but I'm not sure they will work for me.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I have not zeroed the BUIS on the accessory rail. It is functional as long a you are mindful that it is a bull pup ,the ejection port throws brass close to the face when shooting gangta style. The sight picture isnt bad, use the large aperture for functional sight picture.

223 rounds the to eject closer to the face, 556 rounds eject at 1 o clock position. Same thing happens shooting it suppressed. The extra gas from the can adds blowback to the system , enhancing extraction.

Suppressors. First of all, shooting it suppressed fron an indoor range will not do it justice. I cant determine if it is noisier compared to a suppressed AR or the noise just echoes from the confined space.I will have to try this again outdoors. It is ejects excessive gas from the port.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I discussed the use of a suppressor with the Tavor with a friend for the Harrisburg area. He was able to participate in some early testing and in his opinion he found the Tavor to be a poor Suppressor host.

With that said, I still want to try it.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I discussed the use of a suppressor with the Tavor with a friend for the Harrisburg area. He was able to participate in some early testing and in his opinion he found the Tavor to be a poor Suppressor host.

With that said, I still want to try it.

My initial finding also confirm that. Bullpups in general are poor suppressor host due to being operated by a gas piston, hence.. piston noise and the ejection port being so close to the ear.( Itried suppressing the AUG, Norc 86S, FS2000 with miserable results...For suppresed carbines, the AR with its DI system reigns supreme)

I also noticed gas blowing out of every orifice, not just the ejection port. Some folks do not have this issue with less efficients cans. I'm using an AAC M42K. I'll try it with a 30 caliber can when I get an adapter for it.

The Can also upsets the balance of the weapon. Not much, but noticeable.

With optics and a can, plus a loaded mag. This is a heavy weapon. The weight aids in recoil management but with all the add one, it can easily exceed 10 lbs.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Being a fan of the Bullpup. ( Norc 86S, STG556, AUG,FS2000,Valmet71 etc.)

and having tested them all ( Including the FAMAS, L85, CQ85, VHS- own these overseas)

I find the Tavor superior in design and ergonomics compared to other mainstream bullpups. It is also the shortest at just a tad over 26". It is SBR short without the need for NFA paperwork and Cash/ carry for now in Maryland.

The characteristics that set the Tavor aside from others is it's weight distribution. I call it 70/30.. meaning 70% of the weight is resting on the rear instead of being front heavy like others.The magazine system also is superior, the mag release, bolt catch is as fast as an AR. it just takes a liitle getting used to. The AUG at 50/50 distribution comes in in second place. The Only thing wring with the Tavor is that its not an X95. LOL

Attachments

• puppies.jpg
      puppies.jpg
      61.4 KB · Views: 646

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    Generation1 and 2 Pmags work with the gun , but some do not drop free.

Everything else in terms of STANAG mags do work, except for Drums.

Canadian Tavor owners reported that P-mags or any other plastic mag will have to be checked out to make sure that they do not push up on the bolt hold and cause that part to drag with the reciprocating bolt.

To check IF this is happening, simply dismantle the mag. Insert the gutted out mag body into the magwell while you hold the charging handle all the way to the rear of the rifle until it bottoms out. look into the ejection port and check if the mag is pushing on the bolt hold and causing drag.

If it does. Simply take a file and file down the notch on the rear of the mag until you get a rectangular profile similar to that of a USGI mag. It is a simple modification that a manicure technician can do with blindfolds.

I fired my new Tavor yesterday for the first time and had lots of feed problems with G2 PMAGs, so I don't think this issue is limited to Canadian units. I didn't have a file with me at the range yesterday, so I filed one of the mags down per the instructions when I got home. I'm going back today to see if the fix works.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I fired my new Tavor yesterday for the first time and had lots of feed problems with G2 PMAGs, so I don't think this issue is limited to Canadian units. I didn't have a file with me at the range yesterday, so I filed one of the mags down per the instructions when I got home. I'm going back today to see if the fix works.
    Mine all work perfectly. Are you using 20rd mags?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I just picked up my Tavor today.

I'm going to email IWI and see if I can drive it up to Harrisburg and have them install a left handed bolt and swap it over for me.

It handles wonderfully hope it shots as good as it feels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom