• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    http://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/howard-county-lifts-ban-on-sale-of-tasers-and-stun-guns

ELLICOTT CITY, Md. (WBFF) - A vote by the Howard County Council could change the way you can protect yourself on the streets of Maryland.

The council voted 4-1 Tuesday night to lift its ban on the sale of tasers and stun guns. The council held an emergency meeting on the matter last week. They introduced legislation to get rid of the ban and Tuesday held a public hearing before the vote.

A federal lawsuit filed in late January triggered the council's move to repeal the ban.

Elizabeth Baran, a Howard County resident, is suing Baltimore City and Baltimore County, which have electronic bans in effect, to allow her to carry a stun gun. Howard County is also named in that lawsuit.

Baran, a domestic violence survivor, argues tasters are essential for self-defense.

She spoke out after learning Howard Count has voted to lift that ban.

"I'm obviously very happy," said Baran. "It allows people an option to protect themselves. It gives me a non-lethal option."

Jen Terrasa was the only council member who voted to keep the ban in place. She said the bill was being rushed through without proper discussion.

In March, the Supreme Court suggested that stun guns and tasers are protected under the Second Amendment.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    No attorney fees since they got rid of the law without a court order or settlement

I realize these suits are not free, but since I live in Howard County, honestly, I am glad. Let the taxpayers of Annapolis or NJ pay legal fees.

Even better, I get to tell all my uber liberal friends in HoCo how the 2nd Amendment protects stun guns (yes, I do know some people who have one, now legally).

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    And now Annapolis has repealed the ban.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/breaking/ph-ac-cn-electronic-guns-0228-20170227-story.html

It is now legal to carry electronic guns, such as stun guns and Tasers, after the Annapolis City Council voted to repeal its ban against the weaponry on Monday night.

:party29:

Good job!! Promotions and raises for everyone!! No, really...

Another introduced bill would increase the City Council aldermen compensation from $13,500 to $15,000. It also would increase the minimum pay of the city manager from $120,000 to $140,000.

I wish I could un-see that last part.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    So that leaves NY as the only one still fighting?

Of my cases. We haven't made it official in NJ and New Orleans though. George Lyons has settled all his cases to.

The Center for Indivudal Rights filed a Mass. case and that case is up in the air still.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Rhode Island is the last State that has a unlitigated ban. I've stretched myself about as far as I am comfotable doing with these cases. So that is going to have to wait,

Delaware has a ban in Wilmington County but when I looked for a local lawyer the local gun rights were not excitely thrilled with me being in their back yard so I backed off there.

Philly has a ban which we might file againat because we have local counsel right there same guy as our NJ case.

Tacoma has a ban and that is about it in the country. I am surprised SAF has not filed a case since they are in Washington state.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    It was an honor to be a plaintiff from Baltimore City. I was asked by DC-W to join. All I did was sign some papers and email them back. I want publicly thank George L. Lyon and his staff for doing the heavy lifting.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    It was an honor to be a plaintiff from Baltimore City. I was asked by DC-W to join. All I did was sign some papers and email them back. I want publicly thank George L. Lyon and his staff for doing the heavy lifting.

Hopefully we (Maryland Shall Issue) can get a plaintiff for our toy gun case in Baltimore now that we have tested the waters with these taser cases. We sent out a mass email last month and did not get any takers for clients.

PM me or esqapellate for more details.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Rhode Island is the last State that has a unlitigated ban. I've stretched myself about as far as I am comfotable doing with these cases. So that is going to have to wait,

Delaware has a ban in Wilmington County but when I looked for a local lawyer the local gun rights were not excitely thrilled with me being in their back yard so I backed off there.

Philly has a ban which we might file againat because we have local counsel right there same guy as our NJ case.

Tacoma has a ban and that is about it in the country. I am surprised SAF has not filed a case since they are in Washington state.

Why? Are they going to file?

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Why? Are they going to file?

I am not getting paid for these cases unless I win and getting local counsel is actually really hard. Even if I do win and get paid it is not a lot of money. For every hour I could ever bill to the Court I am calling dozens of lawyer and potenial clients trying to sell them on working with a lawyer they often times have never met. am not going to bend over backwards trying to find a lawyer when the local 2a lawyers group told me to pound sand.

So far I've convinced our local counsel simply to take a percentage if we do get attorney fees but in Delaware all the pro 2a lawyers are part of the same club. I would have had to pay a local lawyer up front out of my own pocket to file a case there.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Hopefully we (Maryland Shall Issue) can get a plaintiff for our toy gun case in Baltimore now that we have tested the waters with these taser cases. We sent out a mass email last month and did not get any takers for clients.

PM me or esqapellate for more details.

I know we have some Baltimore residents here :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom