• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    While I understand the sentiment of those that question the motives of the government, how would this negatively affect MD? To me, there is not enough in the article to really fashion any opinion, but let's just say that they offer true concealed carry on a national level to those who are not restricted from owning a firearm, in exchange for requirement of background checks on all weapons. Currently in MD, only regulated firearms fall under this requirement.

I am guessing that if they issue "national" carry, then they would require a national registry, but this is not evident yet.

MD's law, to me, is stupid. Why only require the background check on regulated items(handguns and ARs)? You can do more damage with other weapons besides handguns and ARs. I don't mind the background check for non-regulated items, it's the 7 day wait that to me, kills the enthusiasm of buyers and restricts the ability of shops to do business.

In an ideal world, we would all be able to show our id, prove we are not a restricted person, then take home our firearm, but this state and this country is far from ideal.

capman98

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Mt. Airy maryland
    If they introduce another bill outlining back ground checks on private purchases, the realist in me thinks it will pass. Whether it's this year or next, I really do see a bill passing with such wording. They will probably sit down with the NRA and negotiate something they would be willing to back.

and then change it all around after the NRA backs it. It is just what they do.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    While I understand the sentiment of those that question the motives of the government, how would this negatively affect MD? To me, there is not enough in the article to really fashion any opinion, but let's just say that they offer true concealed carry on a national level to those who are not restricted from owning a firearm, in exchange for requirement of background checks on all weapons. Currently in MD, only regulated firearms fall under this requirement.

I am guessing that if they issue "national" carry, then they would require a national registry, but this is not evident yet.

MD's law, to me, is stupid. Why only require the background check on regulated items(handguns and ARs)? You can do more damage with other weapons besides handguns and ARs. I don't mind the background check for non-regulated items, it's the 7 day wait that to me, kills the enthusiasm of buyers and restricts the ability of shops to do business.

In an ideal world, we would all be able to show our id, prove we are not a restricted person, then take home our firearm, but this state and this country is far from ideal.

And what about all the other states? They get stuck with this "universal background check" bs so we can get national carry? It's not worth it, and I'm not willing to throw all those states under the bus just so we can carry.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    As far as I'm concerned any gun control aimed at the law abiding citizen is unconstitutional. You have two choices... bend over and take it or fight it. Start writing to them and tell them how you feel. Negotiating with tyrants.... is not the answer.... you will lose in the end because they will never stop until you are completely disarmed... that is their ultimate goal.

When you go to the range invite a friend who has never owned a firearm.... get others interested. Increasing are pool of enthusiasts will help us all in the fight.

I'll give you a pass since you weren't around here during the SB281 fight. If you were, you would know that I did more than just write letters to them. Not only did I write, call and email but I also removed thousands of dollars from their campaign funds. I successfully stopped any future contribution from my union to any delegate who voted for and in favor of SB281. Lastly, I took vacation 3 times to be in Annapolis so you're barking up the wrong tree when you tell me I have the choice to wither bend over and take it or stand there and fight. I not only fought but I took money out of my OWN pocket to fight.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    This really will only appeal to ca, nj, ny, il, md and maybe a few other.

Which is why I think the national reciprocity bill is a failed strategy to push through universal background checks.

Look at the states listed above. I'm pretty sure all of the senators from all of those states already voted for Obama's bill. So what new ground are they going to gain, eh?

Now you could argue that maybe they want to peel off a senator from a carry state, so that their citizens can carry in MD? Seriously? That's pretty weak.

I'd love to have a national reciprocity carry bill, but I don't think that inclusion alone is going to change any votes.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I just got done reading an article and it sounds like Obama and the Dems want to bring their gun control bill back to the table within the next year. They really want to get this mandatory background check bill passed and are looking to sweeten the pot a little in order to get the required votes.

One of the topics they are discussing in order to sweeten it up is the naturalization of concealed carry for gun owners.

What does this mean for Maryland if the Feds naturalize the right to carry? Does this mean MD can no longer enforce it's concealed carry laws the way they stand right now?

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...ill-definitely-return-to-gun-reform-this-year

I'm sure you will see it in one form or another every year that a D is in power.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    ill believe it when i see it. National concealed carry got 58 votes, its certainly possible to peel 2 votes, but this seems more likeli after SCOTUS takes Moore or Wollard and reality is staring them in the face.

Shewt, just push for nationalized carry without any added anti-gun crap.

Why throw all 40 some other states under the bus just for the 8 or so that have strict carry laws? No way. No compromise.

And I agree --

its-a-trap.jpg

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    I'll give you a pass since you weren't around here during the SB281 fight. If you were, you would know that I did more than just write letters to them. Not only did I write, call and email but I also removed thousands of dollars from their campaign funds. I successfully stopped any future contribution from my union to any delegate who voted for and in favor of SB281. Lastly, I took vacation 3 times to be in Annapolis so you're barking up the wrong tree when you tell me I have the choice to wither bend over and take it or stand there and fight. I not only fought but I took money out of my OWN pocket to fight.

When I say "you" don't take it personally... I do that... but it refers to everyone of us. We can never sit idle... even when there is a lull in the battle we should be planning are next move against them. Keep up the fight... and don't compromise anything. :thumbsup:

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Some saying it's good for states like MD.

On the flip side what about states like VT that still has constitutional carry? Those citizens then will be forced to register?

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    The way I look at it is we in MD don't have to worry about the so called gun show loophole anyhow. MD already requires background checks on all private sales of restricted firearms. If we could get concealed carry out of this, I think that would be a plus.

I would not support this even if it gave Marylander's better carry law. The reason is that the majority of the nation already gets to exercise their right to carry. We should not support something like this to get a right we already have. I would never do that to the rest of the country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom