• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Would it be possible to just call up the MSP and find out if the saiga 12 is regulated? I'm looking to buy one and would prefer cash and carry if possible. I mean, someone in charge must be able to give a yes or no on the matter.

That's such a crazy idea, it might work. I doubt the ability of the MSP to give a simple answer, but hey, it's worth a try.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    I got the idea from a MD COurt of Apeals case which used the word "surplusage".

As far as the Valmet, that just goes to show even more that if 2 covered all AK based or related designs then why mention the Valmet. There would be no need for it. The Valmet came in different cartridges which supports the reason why the Saiga should not be registered because if there was a need to also include other caliber versions, then the Saiga 12 should have been listed as well.
    20 and 37 are not redundant, they describe the rifles specifically.

Look at the word "form". Does this mean the folding stock AK47 as well as the fixed? Does this mean the lighter, stamped reciever AK-47 known as the AKM is a form of AK-47? I would think so. HOwever, the Saiga 12 not only has almst no interchangeable parts and the reciever is redesigned and the action is rather different and that it is not even a rifle, it would be a stretch to say that "any form" means the Saiga 12.
    ALso there is the openning part: "§ 5-101(p) Assault weapon.- "Assault weapon" means any of the following specific
    firearms or their copies
    regardless of which company produced and manufactured that
    firearm"

The word "specific" is plain. The AK-47 is a specific rifle. Now it does say a copy of the specific rifle is included, but since we know the Saiga 12 had to be drastically redesigned and since we know the Valmet had to be inlcuded in the list to cover it, we can reasonably assume that the Saiga 12 does not fall into the copy of a specific rifle, or is a form of a specific rifle or is a copy of a form pf a specific rifle.

Like I said, the MSP would have an uphill battle trying to prove it is regulated in a court and have to ignore a lot of wording and stretch a lot of definitions to make it regulated.

Gotcha on that :thumbsup:

True on the Saiga, and we all know they are different, but it's pretty clear there are a LOT of ignoramuses at MSP. They go pretty much on cosmetics more than anything.

thing is, if it IS so cut and dry why don't more dealers sell them cash n' carry? Same with the Sig 556...

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Would it be possible to just call up the MSP and find out if the saiga 12 is regulated? I'm looking to buy one and would prefer cash and carry if possible. I mean, someone in charge must be able to give a yes or no on the matter.

As I said in my other post. I did call them about five years ago. They told me it was regulated because it was "based on an AK action".

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

Might depend on which day it is and who you speak to there.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I wouldnt trust the MSP because youll probably get some joe on the phone who will give you the best sounding answer,while your on the phone though ask them if you can carry a magazine with ammunition in it in your car too or if when you go to the shooting range you have to have your rifle and ammo in "seperate compartments" and use that to determine wether the first question was answered correctly

tover26

EricinMaryland
    Jul 6, 2009
    MO County
    I like the Saiga. Just curious, are those regulated? I suspect not but with this state you can never be sure. If not, I might pick one up.

Matt

Saiga shotguns are regulated because they are evil black Russian guns, semi-auto that can be modified to be full auto, and high cap mags.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    870.jpg

Old photo but still unchanged. Rem 870 Express. Stock. I think I need better pics of my guns.....

Peddler

Nov 10, 2008
    Fayetteville, PA
    I tell ya folks, I don't want it to appear that I'm rubbing anything in, but since moving to PA, I feel like a huge weight has been lift from my shoulders concerning firearms. Even the change from the Hagerstown *cough* neighborhood I lived in has meant an improved quality of life.

I live in the mountains now. We have a small shooting area up in the woods. I obtained my LTCF, I carry concealed constantly but I'm doing a little open carry with no hassles or shock. Anyway, I still visit here often but I don't post much. All of my family is still in Maryland so you can bet your sweet bippy I'm still in the fight for Maryland to give "the people" a better quality of life and the right to defend themselves.

With all of the crap that seemed to be going on earlier this year, I honestly didn't feel comfortable posting pictures of firearms I owned while still living in Maryland. Especially with the neighborhood I lived in, and the type of neighbors I had. I don't believe I talked about it much in the forums, but I was becoming uneasy about the very real chance of something happening to my person or property from the increased gang activity and how I stood up to them when they forced me to.

Now I can post them. The photo quality is atrocious but I wanted boom toys and ammo more then a camera.

The first is my Mossberg 590. Knoxx recoil stock and power pack, a cheap but surprisingly long lasting flashlight mount and a sling. I keep her loaded with Federal LE 00 Buck in the tube and Federal LE slug in the saddle. And it has a Mossberg heat shield that Mossberg claims can't be used on a 590.

The tiny blurry black thing is my Ruger 22/45. The teensie weensie shiny thing is my S&W 642 w/ Crimson Trace grips. It's my primary carry revolver and I love it. I've become very accurate with it and I'm comfortable knowing it's there. The Blackhawk Serpa holster I recently obtained for it is amazing and I look foreword to some practice with it this weekend.

The second pic is my tactical vest with all the crap hanging amongst and protruding from it. I call it crap now but it won't be crap if I ever need it.

The third pick is my F-15 fighter jet. :D

Keep safe and be happy.

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
      scan0003.jpg
      57.2 KB · Views: 1,100
    • scan0001.jpg
      scan0001.jpg
      50.4 KB · Views: 1,147

Shots Fired

May 13, 2009
    Sparks, MD
    Also I get a lot of opposing views about home defense shells---
    most say you need 00, but I was recently talking to an experienced
    hunter at this watering hole I go to who told me #8 is fine.

As an instructor I would have to point you in the direction of your nearest pattern board. Find a location that you can "sight in" your defensive shotgun. a large piece of butcher paper is ideal. Make a bullseye with a marker and aim straight at it at about 17 yards. Try different types of shot until you feel comfortable with the results. I would not normally reccomend defensive ammo be any smaller than #4. That being said, I would not hesitate to use "birdshot" if that is all that I had access to.

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    As an instructor I would have to point you in the direction of your nearest pattern board. Find a location that you can "sight in" your defensive shotgun. a large piece of butcher paper is ideal. Make a bullseye with a marker and aim straight at it at about 17 yards. Try different types of shot until you feel comfortable with the results. I would not normally reccomend defensive ammo be any smaller than #4. That being said, I would not hesitate to use "birdshot" if that is all that I had access to.

I totally agree. I reload my own shotgun shells so i have tested alot of different loads at varying distances. I have found birdshot ,at close ranges like 10 yrds or less, actually barely leaves the wad. Kind of acting like a "broken" or semi-solid projectile. It would tear someone apart at close range and most likely not over penetrate the target.
    I think that the use of slugs or buckshot indoors is a bit of overkill. Especially if you have other family in the house. If you live alone then by all means do the buckshot,slug, buckshot, slug,etc. thing. However in a neighborhood or development over penetration can mean the difference between you going to jail for the night or going to jail for the rest of your life.

Last edited:

Johnnyeastside

Jun 8, 2009
    Abingdon
    The Evolution of my 500

20" 7+1. I bought it with this cheap folding stock, too long and not smooth to use.
    DSC02894.jpg

I replaced it with the Knoxx NRS, I liked this stock a lot. I really liked the short LOP, I could even bust clays pretty well with this, also added a cheap light mount. This stock makes getting to the safety difficult.
    DSC02947.jpg

Then I got a rail mount light, so I mounted a rail
    DSC03147.jpg

But i couldn't stop looking at the Hogue youth stock, with 12" LOP, it would solve the problem of getting to the safety and I would be able to use a 2 pt sling without the Knoxx pistol grip jabbing me in the back.
    DSC03185.jpg

Take note of the parts when I bought cheap parts and ended up replacing them. I think my HD gun is done now....oh yeah, still need a good sling, the cheap one I got is too short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom