• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    That's a pretty good price-even without the mag. Did you get real mags, or reproductions?

8 bills, and not the one dollar kind.

@Chaunsey, I like the early style muzzle brake on yours, plus a 1941, stood in the way of Operation Barbarossa maybe?

@H2u Those bayonet in addition to some others I have seen of yours lead me to ask, are there Finnish/Soviet bayonets that you don't own? Very nice thanks for sharing btw.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County

@Chaunsey, I like the early style muzzle brake on yours, plus a 1941, stood in the way of Operation Barbarossa maybe?

@H2u Those bayonet in addition to some others I have seen of yours lead me to ask, are there Finnish/Soviet bayonets that you don't own? Very nice thanks for sharing btw.

LOL! I still haven't connected on a Pre-WW2 Finn Fighting knife (not a Puukko-I have lots of those) or an AVS36 bayo. But since I cant afford an AVS36, I haven't been able to justify $1500-$2000 for the bayonet :D
    I'm also still searching for a Podolsk SVT40 bayonet to go with my rifles. Podolsk being the newly discovered correct third SVT40 arsenal. The Kovrov arsenal was thought to be the third that produced the SVT40's, but new information has been discovered in Russia that points to Podolsk.

Consider that the history lesson for today ;)

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006

That's a damned decent deal, in these times.

Wanna trade 2 SKS's for it? :D

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD

that is honestly a great deal, that money will buy you half an AR-15 these days, or it will buy you one WASR AK lol.

i got mine back in the gilded age of 2005, and even then a good price for one was the low 600's, so you did pretty well.

its certainly likely that it was at least issued during that time, whether it saw combat or not who knows, but i certainly like to imagine it did heh.

yours could have helped turn the germans at stalingrad.

dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    That's a pretty good price-even without the mag. Did you get real mags, or reproductions?

I got reproductions, they were available from numrich and I didn't see much in the first few searches for originals. But at some point I'm going to have to track down an original I think.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I got reproductions, they were available from numrich and I didn't see much in the first few searches for originals. But at some point I'm going to have to track down an original I think.

Repros are OK to start with, but I've seen many posts on various sites with them experiencing feeding issues. When you get an authentic magazine, you should be good to go.
    Figure the mag will cost you about $150. So, even with $950 in the rifle-you still came out slightly ahead of the present market pricing :thumbsup:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I'd love to have one of those. I still don't understand why they are so hard to import.

We can all thank Prez Klinton for signing an executive order banning the importation of certain semi autos from Russian and China. That's why the Canadians still enjoy access to affordable Chinese M1As, Russian SKSs and SVTs.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Wait, these aren't regulated in Maryland? This may cure the itch I've been having for a Dragunov. Sweet rifle. I saw a really nice one at the Frederick gun show in December. You're making me have regrets for not taking it home.

dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    Wait, these aren't regulated in Maryland? This may cure the itch I've been having for a Dragunov. Sweet rifle. I saw a really nice one at the Frederick gun show in December. You're making me have regrets for not taking it home.

I don't think they are regulated in MD, I got mine at a show out of state with my C&R license.

dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    Repros are OK to start with, but I've seen many posts on various sites with them experiencing feeding issues. When you get an authentic magazine, you should be good to go.
    Figure the mag will cost you about $150. So, even with $950 in the rifle-you still came out slightly ahead of the present market pricing :thumbsup:

Yeah that seems to be the consensus, I am planning on a range trip this afternoon so I will see how they do. I will have to be on the lookout this weekend at the Baltimore show for any originals. I didn't think how soon it would be and wanted to have a complete rifle. Impatience won out.

dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    Update

I figured this was better as an update to this thread than starting another. I found that original magazine, problem was it was attached to another SVT, so I did the only reasonable thing. Now I have two SVT's. And a pair of bayonets off gunboards, so now I can't buy anything, ever again. Unless I find an unattached original magazine for the first rifle. Here are the pics.

Just so happens it has a Finn property stamp on the receiver and magazine. I feel like I reunited two long lost brothers, except they are still kinda mad at each other. Maybe some range time will help. The stock is missing a good bit of finish so I'm not sure what to do with it. Would a pine tar mix, as the Finns used on their Mosins, be appropriate for an SVT? Or should I leave as is?

Attachments

• DSC_1966.JPG
      DSC_1966.JPG
      32.5 KB · Views: 145
    • DSC_1969.JPG
      DSC_1969.JPG
      35.7 KB · Views: 148
    • DSC_1975.JPG
      DSC_1975.JPG
      36.6 KB · Views: 146
    • DSC_1979.JPG
      DSC_1979.JPG
      42 KB · Views: 154

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Awesome!! THAT is how to buy a magazine :D
    DO NOT touch up the stock-you will do more harm than good and lose the collectibility of the firearm. Please sell it before you try to, "fix" it ;)

Now, with that out of the way...we need more pics!! What year/arsenal? Pics of the bayonets as well, please!

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Nope, not regulated in MD. Cash and Carry like a M1918A3 SLR (aka BAR) :)

Scratching my head...wonder what the "folks up the road" are thinking? :innocent0

F'em, they're currently legal :party29:

I'm not going to make a list, but there are a bunch of bad ass battle rifles that simply are not on the radar, many of which I would consider superior to 5.56 "assault weapons". Thankfully they are encouraging the resurgence of larger calibers by banning "dangerous assault weapons".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom