• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    Really nice of him to give it to you now instead of waiting. There's a lesson there.
    Congratulations on marrying into a good family.

Glad you finally got to take possession of that family heirloom he gave you back in '95, unless MD doesn't require permission and registration for gifts from an FIL.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    The real test is if you can hit wilson with it. Congrates George.

My FIL had one when he was in Germany in the late 60s. When he back state side he was told they could bring guns with them so he sold it for like 50 bucks. To this day he is pissed off that he didn't bring it back, his bags were never checked.

His was a Colt though

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Congratulations, Teratos, she's a beauty. Thanks for sharing both the story and multiple pics (we always love the pics! :) ). Happy for you. :thumbsup:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Very nice Doc. Would you like an unfired 1918 headstamp round to go with your new acquisition if our paths cross?

That is very generous of you and I would be a fool to turn it down. Thank you!

Congrats!

Even though it has some honest wear to it, that's a very desirable collectible pistol (aside from the priceless sentimental value/history).
    The finish is pretty fragile on these, as you can see on the slide.
    Finding one that still has all the original Springfield parts is quite difficult and should be preserved.

I would shoot it sparingly and only with standard loads.
    Sure it will shoot hollow points but it wasn't designed for it, why stress it.

The original magazines are very expensive ($300-400+) and not easy to find, although one will occasionally pop up on eBay mis-identified.
    They are unique to Springfield with a folded base instead of the pinned base that Colt and Remington UMC used.
    They also have a unique spot of copper cladding at the top of the spine.
    <ok now I see that info buried in the long tome above>
    Typically only a small portion at the bottom of the mag has bluing, unlike Colt 2-tone mags.
    Here's what to look for...

I'll keep an eye open for the mags. Thanks for the pic.

Really nice of him to give it to you now instead of waiting. There's a lesson there.
    Congratulations on marrying into a good family.

That was exactly his rationale. I couldn't have done better in the marriage department. My FIL is one of my best friends. It's sad to see him starting to get older and think about passing away, but I'm glad he is doing it now to avoid issues and get the story behind some of his treasures.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks to SOMD Mustang for the mag pics and the ammo recommendations. If I ever run across a mag I'll grab it for the OP, you got a nice one there buddy!

Thanks!!!

Never really been a 1911 guy, but love the history behind this one. It will go to the kids for sure.

I have detail stripped it. I think there was a good bit of dirt in there from WW1. It was filthy. Gentle cleaning with a very soft brush, Dawn, then CLP and it looks pretty good. Broke the plunger retainer pin, or more accurately, it broke. The gun is 100% original, including the barrel. Everything marked "S" except a couple of small parts. Unreal what people have out there in the back of a closet.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Awesome karma. I am so in.

Somebody had to. :D
    Congrats George. That is just great. Let me know when you take it to the club. I would love to meet you there......

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Glad you finally got to take possession of that family heirloom he gave you back in '95, unless MD doesn't require permission and registration for gifts from an FIL.

He gave it to me in 1995 as a wedding gift. Sorry I didn't specify.
    The real test is if you can hit wilson with it. Congrates George.

My FIL had one when he was in Germany in the late 60s. When he back state side he was told they could bring guns with them so he sold it for like 50 bucks. To this day he is pissed off that he didn't bring it back, his bags were never checked.

His was a Colt though

Haha. If I see Wilson again, I will try.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Awesome karma. I am so in.

Somebody had to. :D
    Congrats George. That is just great. Let me know when you take it to the club. I would love to meet you there......

One of these days, Steve. Hopefully we will get a nice weekend soon. We can get the kids out.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Just got off the phone with my FIL. He has the original mag on his workbench.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    That's truly an awesome gift. Guns with a personal history are my favorite. My father in law gave me his Colt detective special that he carried as a DC homcide detective. Although I rarely shoot it I'm honored just to own it. I hope you have a chance to shoot it with your father in law some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom