Supreme Court remits MD assault weapons ban back to lower courts in light of Bruen vs. NY ruling

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    No circuit court has overturned a rifle ban and that's not about to change. Fun to imagine it happening but it's not going to.

Mike1690

Jan 28, 2016
    No circuit court has overturned a rifle ban and that's not about to change. Fun to imagine it happening but it's not going to.
    We know that. I’m hoping to see one go up to the SCOTUS to hopefully settle the issue once and for all

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Don’t see it influencing anything. If nothing else once CA appeals MD will say they’re waiting for this to wind its way through CA and will follow along but because it’s such an important topic they want to be sure they’re not causing the split and fast tracking to SCOTUS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MD won’t say a damn thing, they’ll just let it drag on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Ours was at SCOTUS, they remanded it back the same time they released the Bruen ruling telling the 4th Circuit to rule on its merits....
    And now the 4CA panel is sitting on it indefinitely because they know once they make a decision, if it's not to overturn the law, SCOTUS will proceed to do it for them.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    How often do circuit courts of appeals allow an oral argument in a case to celebrate an anniversary before issuing a ruling?

Mike1690

Jan 28, 2016
    Eventually the problem is how long can they sit on it before ruling. I myself have no idea but it would seem that they can sit on it for decades
    Exactly. Maybe not decades but long enough for the SCOTUS to flip back to ensure an unfavorable ruling

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    How often do circuit courts of appeals allow an oral argument in a case to celebrate an anniversary before issuing a ruling?
    Fairly common. But I can't speak to remanded cases. Nor can I speak to 4CA specifically, but I think the average length of time is something like 14 months? I am working off memory here, I looked it up a few months ago.

Mike1690

Jan 28, 2016
    Fairly common. But I can't speak to remanded cases. Nor can I speak to 4CA specifically, but I think the average length of time is something like 14 months? I am working off memory here, I looked it up a few months ago.
    I think someone posted that the average time for the 4th CA is between 7-8 months. IIRC its several pages back in this thread.

Mike1690

Jan 28, 2016
    Non 2A cases? Pretty rare I think. 2A cases? More common I suspect. Thomas is right, the 2A is a disfavored right

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I think someone posted that the average time for the 4th CA is between 7-8 months. IIRC its several pages back in this thread.
    That includes criminal cases, which almost always have priority (well, they do over 2A cases anyway).

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    That includes criminal cases, which almost always have priority (well, they do over 2A cases anyway).
    One of the reasons that Montgomery County is trying so hard not to accidentally arrest someone for violating its absurd new Sacred Spaces law. The examination of their 100% unconstitutional law would slip from molasses-like civil proceedings into a criminal proceeding that might ultimately get the matter back in front of Clarence Thomas too quickly for their taste.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Just guessin'... They will hold on for another two to three months then remand down for retrial. Then back to circuit. Could take yeeeeeaaars. Or maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm due.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom