Supreme Court remits MD assault weapons ban back to lower courts in light of Bruen vs. NY ruling

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    The California mag case has been decided. It sure would be nice to see this fall on a similar schedule (as horrible as its' been).

Sadly, I think this has been desk drawered. We may never see anything.

I know, BGOS. What I can I say. It's real.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The California mag case has been decided. It sure would be nice to see this fall on a similar schedule (as horrible as its' been).

Sadly, I think this has been desk drawered. We may never see anything.

I know, BGOS. What I can I say. It's real.
    It can’t be desk drawered. GVR doesn’t work that way.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    When it comes to 2A , the 4th circuit has proven again and again it is not a friend at all. IMHO believe the 4th is dragging its feet or shall I say robes deliberately and I am afraid it is going to end up having to go for cert before SCOTUS AGAIN!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    When it comes to 2A , the 4th circuit has proven again and again it is not a friend at all. IMHO believe the 4th is dragging its feet or shall I say robes deliberately and I am afraid it is going to end up having to go for cert before SCOTUS AGAIN!
    I was going to write, "If it was going to have to go to SCOTUS again, they wouldn't be dragging their feet on the opinion." Then I thought, maybe they would. Why not just prolong it. Maybe die before having to publish the opinion.

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I was going to write, "If it was going to have to go to SCOTUS again, they wouldn't be dragging their feet on the opinion." Then I thought, maybe they would. Why not just prolong it. Maybe die before having to publish the opinion.

I think they’re trying to give as much time as possible to whatever historians have been retained by the gun control groups to scour every piece of parchment and animal hide from history to find a historical analog.

Although they’re not saying it, it seems they’re basically telling everyone we need to give them time to find this info as that’s what SCOTUS is requiring so we will hold off on our judgements to allow them to give a TV drama A-Ha moment to stop the release of any opinion and schedule more briefs and hearings.

So basically stomping their feet at having to do actual work and not just wave the magic wand while proclaiming “public interest.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    Make me a Judge! I'll be impartial and give my opinions and rulings timely as long as I know the rules, which I think everyone knows for 2A now.. Won't matter whether I agree or disagree, but I'll give a ruling timely. If I feel a law is unconstitutional, I'll do a TRO and give 30 days for them to come up with History for the law. If what they come up with is bogus, I'll drop that law. If they want to appeal, they can. If they come up with something that makes sense, I'll let the law stand, and let the plaintiff appeal, if they think they have standing. No reason to drag this crap on for months and years.. especially when it effects everyone's Constitutional rights!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Make me a Judge! I'll be impartial and give my opinions and rulings timely as long as I know the rules, which I think everyone knows for 2A now.. Won't matter whether I agree or disagree, but I'll give a ruling timely. If I feel a law is unconstitutional, I'll do a TRO and give 30 days for them to come up with History for the law. If what they come up with is bogus, I'll drop that law. If they want to appeal, they can. If they come up with something that makes sense, I'll let the law stand, and let the plaintiff appeal, if they think they have standing. No reason to drag this crap on for months and years.. especially when it effects everyone's Constitutional rights!
    If you are an attorney, you know that there is almost always something that judges/juries can hang their hat on to come down the way they want. I've read some SCOTUS opinions that were just complete BS, but they figured out a way to get there.

If something is in court, it is because the matter is not clear as day. If everything was straight forward and simple in the law, we wouldn't need courts, judges, or juries and there would be no need for appeals. If it was straight forward, there wouldn't be much for attorneys to even argue over. There wouldn't really be two sides to a legal issue, unless the only thing to argue about was the rendition/perception of the facts.

So, being able to makes these decisions "easily" isn't always the case.

Now, the case at issue is a slam dunk under Bruen. That much is clear as day. So, this one case is an exception to the rule.

moto.x

Sep 16, 2014
    Is there a time limit that they need to adhere to or could they wait this out indefinitely? What realistically is the time we could have this AWB lifted ?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Is there a time limit that they need to adhere to or could they wait this out indefinitely? What realistically is the time we could have this AWB lifted ?
    While the Constitution was under construction, James Madison's best estimate on everything was two weeks.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    While the Constitution was under construction, James Madison's best estimate on everything was two weeks.

I've been wondering when that business started. Thanks for the clarification!

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    Well, MSI filed suit against MD about the HQL on 30 September, 2016. We still have no decision yet from 4CA.
    Just out curiosity, where is this one currently? Last update on MSI website is:

“3/10/23 - Oral argument to be held at 8:30am before Panel III in Courtroom 339 (Blue Courtroom)”

Did the arguments ever actually occur?

Edit: never mind. Saw the last update in the MSI v. Hogan thread. Still waiting for the circuit to issue its inevitable decision in favor of the state.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RamDoug

Latest threads

Top Bottom