Supreme Court remits MD assault weapons ban back to lower courts in light of Bruen vs. NY ruling

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigNerd

Feb 24, 2015
    It's possible that there are some less than rabid types in the state Senate. They can desk-drawer the really stupid embarrassing stuff. Legitimate legislators don't like to look like fools, and will avoid doing so unless the Party forces their hands.
    The pessimist (realist?) in me thinks the reason MGA Dem leadership is waiting until the regular session is they want Hogan to be out of office (and very likely Wes Moore in his place). Otherwise they'd have to get nearly the entire Democratic caucus to agree on whatever they put forward to override the veto. If they're not worried about a veto they're back to just needing a simple majority which means they can include more extreme measures.

The optimist (naive fool?) in me thinks that maybe they're taking a wait and see approach on the NY lawsuits.

I hope it's the latter, I expect the former.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    The optimist (naive fool?) in me thinks that maybe they're taking a wait and see approach on the NY lawsuits.
    This is what I am thinking. They dont want to try to go too crazy and get the whole thing knocked down. They will try to find out the max they can get away with and go that way.

I still wonder if any other states gave NY a call and said cut it out, your gonna get them to slap it down even harder. But I think every time NY goes too far its better for us in the long run.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If NY gets an injunction against them Antonyuk vs Bruen it may give the MGA pause for more BS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    It's possible that there are some less than rabid types in the state Senate. They can desk-drawer the really stupid embarrassing stuff. Legitimate legislators don't like to look like fools, and will avoid doing so unless the Party forces their hands.
    You mean like in 2013?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    You mean like in 2013?
    Even in 2013 they had to scale back their efforts. The language in the bills as introduced and as passed is significantly different. And even passing what they did required a lot of arm twisting, legislative dirty tricks, and expenditure of political capital by Miller, Busch, and Owe'Malley. And instead of catapulting him to the Presidency, O'M's efforts ended him as a force in politics, nationally and in MD.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Like they should have done in 2013.

It was impressive to see the way they gagged the MSP guy, McCauley? Little minions running to him during his testimony to shut him up before he could speak the truth.

They had him with a vise-like grip on his pension, with a delusional Governor turning the screw.

Watching the exercise of raw power by a super-majority legislature was a real education in "civics".

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Like they should have done in 2013.

It was impressive to see the way they gagged the MSP guy, McCauley? Little minions running to him during his testimony to shut him up before he could speak the truth.

They had him with a vise-like grip on his pension, with a delusional Governor turning the screw.

Watching the exercise of raw power by a super-majority legislature was a real education in "civics".
    He is a good man, and quit as a result of the 2013 shenanigans.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    e0b1cb5174c81add41344d70aa288b9f.jpg

Many channels do take payments or advertise for funds in some way.

Not all do though. I have never taken a dime for the content I put on YouTube. I have been offered very generous offers too.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    But now TRO's are more likely to be invoked and the State would not like that.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    A TRO in the existing case is extremely unlikely. New cases, sure. But I doubt anything that is currently being tested in the courts is likely to win a restraining order until the existing cases play out.

It doesn't mean a TRO won't be issued and with the changes in interpretation I think litigants have a good case to make to courts that even if they wouldn't before, the likelihood of success and the standards of review have changed dramatically so a hearing should be held on a TRO while the litigation is ongoing.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The pessimist (realist?) in me thinks the reason MGA Dem leadership is waiting until the regular session is they want Hogan to be out of office (and very likely Wes Moore in his place). Otherwise they'd have to get nearly the entire Democratic caucus to agree on whatever they put forward to override the veto. If they're not worried about a veto they're back to just needing a simple majority which means they can include more extreme measures.

It is because there is no chance of Hogan calling a special session. If they ARE in session they cannot campaign or fund raise, for an election that is happening in just a few weeks. They do NOT want to do that.

Too many of the MGA are decent people, even if I don't agree with their views. Some states will just shove things through without a thought. I am not saying MGA won't, but they would be more inclined to be deliberative. None of this showing up in the morning with legislation and then having signing ceremonies that night and back on the campaign trail. Even if it wouldn't be a multiweek special session. And Hogan might just veto it. Which causes real problems for them. They'd have to try to call ANOTHER special session to override the veto (if they even could?)

It is a no win to try to special session it. There isn't much they can do until the regular session starts other than talk about how SOCTUS and Bruen are going to cause blood in the streets and "they'll fix it" once they are in session.

Once they are in session, they'll be months past the election and also months in to shall issue for Maryland. They'll have a harder time demonstrating the necessity of rushing anything and really unhinged legislation isn't going to be well received by their more levelheaded D colleagues. Especially in the senate. And lastly, we will have a few months to see how Hochul's crap goes with the lawsuits (and I suspect it'll be TROs up and down the line).

This is all going to temper MGA.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    It is because there is no chance of Hogan calling a special session. If they ARE in session they cannot campaign or fund raise, for an election that is happening in just a few weeks. They do NOT want to do that.

Too many of the MGA are decent people, even if I don't agree with their views. Some states will just shove things through without a thought. I am not saying MGA won't, but they would be more inclined to be deliberative. None of this showing up in the morning with legislation and then having signing ceremonies that night and back on the campaign trail. Even if it wouldn't be a multiweek special session. And Hogan might just veto it. Which causes real problems for them. They'd have to try to call ANOTHER special session to override the veto (if they even could?)

It is a no win to try to special session it. There isn't much they can do until the regular session starts other than talk about how SOCTUS and Bruen are going to cause blood in the streets and "they'll fix it" once they are in session.

Once they are in session, they'll be months past the election and also months in to shall issue for Maryland. They'll have a harder time demonstrating the necessity of rushing anything and really unhinged legislation isn't going to be well received by their more levelheaded D colleagues. Especially in the senate. And lastly, we will have a few months to see how Hochul's crap goes with the lawsuits (and I suspect it'll be TROs up and down the line).

This is all going to temper MGA.

I agree with most of the above but they wouldn’t need Hogan to call the special session, they can do it themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I agree with most of the above but they wouldn’t need Hogan to call the special session, they can do it themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Doesn't it require 3/5ths? I don't think that would happen and I am pretty sure plenty of democrat MGA members would NOT be happy to go in to special session. They don't get paid for it. They can't campaign or solicit donations (receive even?). Not a chance it would be a one day special session. So they'd probably have to figure they'd lose a few days in the heat of the campaign. Leadership would have a lot of very angry members on their hands.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

I can sort of do quotes , but can't do the thing to draw a line thru Civics and substitute Sausage Making .

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    I can sort of do quotes , but can't do the thing to draw a line thru Civics and substitute Sausage Making .
    Once you hit quote or reply, on the top menu, click the 3 dots next to the two "tT". The drop down has the strikethrough symbol. Highlight what you want to strike and hit the symbol. ;)

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Once you hit quote or reply, on the top menu, click the 3 dots next to the two "tT". The drop down has the strikethrough symbol. Highlight what you want to strike and hit the symbol. ;)
    Thank you! I need to take a picture of your post so I can remember how to do this again

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    What sources would you recommend? I tried different channels to get legal information on second amendment court cases, and I found Washington Gun Law and Armed Scholar. If I am not mistaken, the GOA channel on YouTube has videos featuring attorneys who are acutally involved in 2A cases. I have been skeptical of the NRA recently ever since the scandal in New York.
    GOA
    SAF
    Colin Noir

To name a few.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Thy are waiting until the regular session because this is an election year. Every day they are in session (even a special session) is a day they cannot campaign or collect funds.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Well...given the number of permits issued already (and ever increasing)...their rationalle for 'blood in the streets' will be null and void. They will need to come up with some other BS reasons for whatever they put forth.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Many channels do take payments or advertise for funds in some way.

Not all do though. I have never taken a dime for the content I put on YouTube. I have been offered very generous offers too.

I drop the meme with some jest <3. I enjoy Garand Thumb videos as much as the next guy and give to FuddBusters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom