Supreme Court remits MD assault weapons ban back to lower courts in light of Bruen vs. NY ruling

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    It's also possible MD won't give up even when they lose at the lower level. They can appeal to keep dragging out the process, until it finally ends up back at SCOTUS in a year and a half for Thomas and his five friends to say "Um, nope." with finality.

But now TRO's are more likely to be invoked and the State would not like that.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Not quite accurate. SCOTUS is in no way forcing a schedule on 4CA. And, with MDAG already asking for an extension to file supplemental briefs, even oral arguments may get pushed past 1 Jan, let alone the final decision in the remanded case.

It's also possible MD won't give up even when they lose at the lower level. They can appeal to keep dragging out the process, until it finally ends up back at SCOTUS in a year and a half for Thomas and his five friends to say "Um, nope." with finality.
    As of today at about 4 pm, the MDAG has not asked the court for an extension according to pacer.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I take armed scholar with a grain of salt. He makes huge assumptions daily for clicks and views. He had a video about how "bruen voids calis 10 day waiting period". Well no it does not, until a court decides that 10 days is not constitutional it still stands. There is not much in bruen talking about waiting periods, only a foot note stating they "dont rule out challenges to lengthy waiting time" and that only applied to carry permits.

So sure if cali's waiting period was challenged and the court that said a two step approach was ok to let it stand could there be a way to attack that. But even still all cali has to say is its for background checks.

In no way does bruen VOID 10 days, and yes he uses void in the title of the video. But bruen does not mention waiting periods to buy guns at all.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    But now TRO's are more likely to be invoked and the State would not like that.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    Despite the glacial pace of the legal process, this is what I look forward to most (in the short term) coming out Bruen, seeing enforcement of these draconian laws stayed pending consideration.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Anything happening with the magazine restrictions? I've been wondering where the fight against that is.
    There are no active MD mag restriction cases to my knowledge. SCOTUS GVR'd two (CA and NJ). The 9CA requested new briefings in the CA case. I am unaware of the NJ case, but suspect the 3CA will require new briefings for that case also.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Not quite accurate. SCOTUS is in no way forcing a schedule on 4CA. And, with MDAG already asking for an extension to file supplemental briefs, even oral arguments may get pushed past 1 Jan, let alone the final decision in the remanded case.

I wouldn't put it past those corrupt, money grubbing attention whores in Annapolis to pull a "New York" over and over and over until there is no longer any choice and they are specifically called out like they were in Bruen.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals was forced by the U.S. Supreme Court to issue a decision in light of Bruen by the end of this year. It's time to say goodbye to Maryland's so-called "assault weapons" ban.

Armed Scholar, 2022, YouTube, .

Dude is full of shit and has absolutely no clue what he is talking about. If you get your 2A info from him, I would search out a different source.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    Dude is full of shit and has absolutely no clue what he is talking about. If you get your 2A info from him, I would search out a different source.
    What sources would you recommend? I tried different channels to get legal information on second amendment court cases, and I found Washington Gun Law and Armed Scholar. If I am not mistaken, the GOA channel on YouTube has videos featuring attorneys who are acutally involved in 2A cases. I have been skeptical of the NRA recently ever since the scandal in New York.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    What sources would you recommend? I tried different channels to get legal information on second amendment court cases, and I found Washington Gun Law and Armed Scholar. If I am not mistaken, the GOA channel on YouTube has videos featuring attorneys who are acutally involved in 2A cases. I have been skeptical of the NRA recently ever since the scandal in New York.
    GOA is good. I like Colion Noir.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    GOA is good. I like Colion Noir.
    I like both, especially Colion Noir. I personally believe that nobody has more common sense against gun control than he does. I compared him against other channels like Guns & Gadgets and Legally Armed America, and Colion Noir nails it 100% everytime. I never heard of anything bad about him, but I have been watching his videos only for a few months.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I like Colion but think he is a little bit a shill as well. But thats what almost all youtubers do, its gets them lots of free fun toys. He does give what I think is accurate info, and his views align with mine very well.

I like garand thumb because he is fun, as well has decent info.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    e0b1cb5174c81add41344d70aa288b9f.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well , at least it's not all of them . Gun_Sam Revolver Afficanado and Bubba Rountree are still independent

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I wouldn't put it past those corrupt, money grubbing attention whores in Annapolis to pull a "New York" over and over and over until there is no longer any choice and they are specifically called out like they were in Bruen.
    I don't think they will. While many in the MGA are fanatics, several are not. I'm not sure they all want to push things that far. I hope I'm correct in my opinion, we shall see.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I don't think they will. While many in the MGA are fanatics, several are not. I'm not sure they all want to push things that far. I hope I'm correct in my opinion, we shall see.
    It's possible that there are some less than rabid types in the state Senate. They can desk-drawer the really stupid embarrassing stuff. Legitimate legislators don't like to look like fools, and will avoid doing so unless the Party forces their hands.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    MD shooters

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom