• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    And for Devil's Advocate :

In the minds of the other side , they already have a long standing 50/ 50 compromise . One weekend day for hunters , one weekend day to enjoy their country estates without sounds of gunfire in the distance .

If they loose " their day " , it could lead them to push back by flexing their Influence to greatly expand No Hunting Zones .

And in the be careful what you ask for department : A primary metric in deciding seasons and bag limits is * hunter- days afield * . With presumably much increased hunter turnout with two weekend days , hunter- days will be way up , maybe not doubled , but easily 50% .

This could lead to shortened seasons and reduced bag limits .
    Not that I want to compromise, but at least allow sunday hunting with pointy sticks. No gunfire to hear. Ridiculous I can't hunt my property on a Sunday at all. Even more so that a damn bow or crossbow is an issue. No excuses to me. If they are worried about getting shot or their animals shot, then they should stay off MY property.

IMHO, more impactful would be if we could push STATEWIDE safety zones to 50yds from a tree stand for pointy sticks and 100yds from the ground for pointy sticks. MoCo of all places allows 50yds from a stand and I haven't heard of any blood bath. I have heard it has helped in the more metropolitan areas with deer control.

I doubt HoCo and Baltimore counties will allow it anytime soon. It is up to each delegation. Though I am happy to help out with any lobbying if anyone wants to try to twist their delegations arms in to at least drafting a bill and presenting it. From what I have heard from HoCo's delegation they only entertain citizen suggested bills in a little window basically in May of each year.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have been an avid deer hunter fro decades,, most of it on public land.
    Us hunters have access to the public parks 6 days out of 7,,,,
    Hunting is one of those sports (maybe not bow), that does not mix well with other recreation activities on public land.

I am one of those rare hunters that see the other side of the argument. Or I should say that I understand their point.
    I can certainly see that view. However, I see no reasons why sunday hunting on private land is not allowed. No good reason anyway.

I can see a reasonable argument on public land that is set aside for multiple use why sunday hunting might not be allowed. But on private land? No good reason.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    I have been an avid deer hunter fro decades,, most of it on public land.
    Us hunters have access to the public parks 6 days out of 7,,,,
    Hunting is one of those sports (maybe not bow), that does not mix well with other recreation activities on public land.

I am one of those rare hunters that see the other side of the argument. Or I should say that I understand their point.

Most states allow hunting on Sundays including the one I grew up in and I don't recall there being any problems with it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Sunday ( no) hunting is one of the last vestiges of Maryland's once pervasive Blue Laws . In this instance , it has taken on potent dynamics beyond the religious .

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    When evaluating the wisdom of perpetuating the anti-working-man Sunday hunting ban, it's important to keep in mind that MARYLAND IS THE OUTLIER. We don't need reasons to hunt on Sunday; the antis need reasons to not let us.

There are only six states that ban it -- all part of the original Dutch/English colonies -- and when I tell people from other states that we can't hunt on Sunday they're absolutely perplexed. I had a friend up from Georgia recently and he was very surprised and disappointed that we couldn't hunt on Sunday when a weather front was coming through.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Would be a game changer for many of us in places like Baltimore County. The horse people will fight this though. I know a few of the more bat crap ones and they are aware of it. I know my neighbor is rocking back and forth foaming at the mouth at idea of me being on my property on their precious day of tresspass. Meanwhile Lippy Brother Farms erected a shooting house blind facing a major road on her property and is running suppressed rifles 24x7 crop damaging whacking deer in the hunting season that rarely hit her fields anyway. Same idiot that trespassed onto my property complaining about a tree stand facing her pasture at 50 yards in.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Anti Sunday hunting is anti Semitic. I actually don't bother adhering to the ban. I enjoy being an outlaw on my own land. It's the only game law I will willingly and openly violate.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    And I seem to recall UA's founder's wife was very active in the horsey set that was fighting Sunday hunting.
    Could be wrong, but think it was so
    His connection to it is actually through a former UA tax attorney Frank Boston that was the lobbyist that killed the last major statewide push. One of the horse farm owners in the area I'm friends with through kid's school/friends parents talked some serious smack about Plank/despises him. There are some people not happy with what was his attempt at reconstituting the Vanderbilt estate that made up most of the property in that area. He has bought a !@%!@ ton of land up over the years so I'm sure he is not hurting despite the talk of him being close to broke.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Not that I want to compromise, but at least allow sunday hunting with pointy sticks. No gunfire to hear. Ridiculous I can't hunt my property on a Sunday at all. Even more so that a damn bow or crossbow is an issue. No excuses to me. If they are worried about getting shot or their animals shot, then they should stay off MY property.

IMHO, more impactful would be if we could push STATEWIDE safety zones to 50yds from a tree stand for pointy sticks and 100yds from the ground for pointy sticks. MoCo of all places allows 50yds from a stand and I haven't heard of any blood bath. I have heard it has helped in the more metropolitan areas with deer control.

I doubt HoCo and Baltimore counties will allow it anytime soon. It is up to each delegation. Though I am happy to help out with any lobbying if anyone wants to try to twist their delegations arms in to at least drafting a bill and presenting it. From what I have heard from HoCo's delegation they only entertain citizen suggested bills in a little window basically in May of each year.
    There are just too many vocal and wealthy whack jobs in both counties for anything reasonable like this to pass.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    There are just too many vocal and wealthy whack jobs in both counties for anything reasonable like this to pass.
    Could go encourage the HoCo delegates and senators to vote for SB96 to reduce archery safety zones. It has a real chance of passage and everyone, HoCo residents or people who hunt in HoCo should chime in on how beneficial and safe it is.

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    When evaluating the wisdom of perpetuating the anti-working-man Sunday hunting ban, it's important to keep in mind that MARYLAND IS THE OUTLIER. We don't need reasons to hunt on Sunday; the antis need reasons to not let us.

There are only six states that ban it -- all part of the original Dutch/English colonies -- and when I tell people from other states that we can't hunt on Sunday they're absolutely perplexed. I had a friend up from Georgia recently and he was very surprised and disappointed that we couldn't hunt on Sunday when a weather front was coming through.
    I agree, and have held the same view for many years now. There is no evidence that Sunday hunting has been problematic in all those other states. I also disagree with the sentiment that we hunters have access to public lands 6/7 days. Everyone else has access on those days as well, why should any one group be more entitled to another for one specific day?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom