• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    For or against, I understand a bill will be introduced this year. Can’t see how this is a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    What I found while searching the internet is it's all about the $$$. The horse club people are against it and they have the $$$ to lobby against it.
    A dedicated group of sportsmen organized and were able to negotiate hunting on a few Sundays in a few counties as well as Sundays in Western MD. The list was short but has been added to over a few years.
    It's all about the $$$, at least that's the way I read it.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    What I found while searching the internet is it's all about the $$$. The horse club people are against it and they have the $$$ to lobby against it.
    A dedicated group of sportsmen organized and were able to negotiate hunting on a few Sundays in a few counties as well as Sundays in Western MD. The list was short but has been added to over a few years.

Yes follow the money.

Imagine if there was a law prohibiting fishing on Sundays.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county

And I seem to recall UA's founder's wife was very active in the horsey set that was fighting Sunday hunting.
    Could be wrong, but think it was so

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Sunday hunting for what? Most counties have it for deer, some limited.

Hunters of Maryland has tried to introduce Sunday waterfowl hunting. I doubt this will go as guides and other hunters fight it with the anti's. That has to be statewide also, if not guys in counties without Sunday hunting loose days.

Western Maryland Sportsmen got us Sunday hunting for everything except waterfowl, as that has to be state wide and not county by county.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Pretty sure Sunday hunting is decided on the County level unless things changed. (Not including waterfowl) That’s why there is such a wide swing on when and where you can hunt on Sundays in MD.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sunday hunting for what? Most counties have it for deer, some limited.

Hunters of Maryland has tried to introduce Sunday waterfowl hunting. I doubt this will go as guides and other hunters fight it with the anti's. That has to be statewide also, if not guys in counties without Sunday hunting loose days.

Western Maryland Sportsmen got us Sunday hunting for everything except waterfowl, as that has to be state wide and not county by county.
    It would be a boon for people to be able to hunt public land on Sundays. I rarely had a Saturday off when I was young.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Of course if the new no-guns-on-public-land (and pretty much anywhere else) bill goes through, Sunday will be Nogunday anyway.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    It would be a boon for people to be able to hunt public land on Sundays. I rarely had a Saturday off when I was young.
    I remember those days as well. Then when a welcomed Saturday off came, it rained and howled wind all day. It's a wonder I ever came home with a deer.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And for Devil's Advocate :

In the minds of the other side , they already have a long standing 50/ 50 compromise . One weekend day for hunters , one weekend day to enjoy their country estates without sounds of gunfire in the distance .

If they loose " their day " , it could lead them to push back by flexing their Influence to greatly expand No Hunting Zones .

And in the be careful what you ask for department : A primary metric in deciding seasons and bag limits is * hunter- days afield * . With presumably much increased hunter turnout with two weekend days , hunter- days will be way up , maybe not doubled , but easily 50% .

This could lead to shortened seasons and reduced bag limits .

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Being a working man like many of us not retired yet it would be nice. I have felt this way my whole hunting life. Someone commented saying most counties have Sunday hunting but that is private lands. Unfortunately most of us dont own land or know someone who has private land to hunt. Having only Saturdays to hunt my whole life gave me very little hunting time on public lands. Had to save my vacation time to deer hunt every year.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I remember those days as well. Then when a welcomed Saturday off came, it rained and howled wind all day. It's a wonder I ever came home with a deer.
    It's what ultimately got me bow hunting. More opportunities, though still no Sundays(OK, I do admit to being a bit of a scofflaw back in the day, but hell, I had a family to feed). When I hit 31, I walked into the office and made a lot of demands. I had just spent a year working, post back injury, Saturdays and most Sundays(6-7 days a week) and I'd had enough. I told them, no more Sundays and no more than two Saturdays a month. They complied with my demands. After all, I was the goose squirting out the golden eggs. By then, I was beginning to find private land to hunt.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Pretty sure Sunday hunting is decided on the County level unless things changed. (Not including waterfowl) That’s why there is such a wide swing on when and where you can hunt on Sundays in MD.
    It is for deer hunting.. I hunt mostly in AA Co and we get two Sundays, the first Sunday in November for archery and the first Sunday of firearms season that's it. I can hunt most every Sunday on my lease in DoCo, though they have some time restrictions for the first few Sundays this year, can only hunt the am.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I have been an avid deer hunter fro decades,, most of it on public land.
    Us hunters have access to the public parks 6 days out of 7,,,,
    Hunting is one of those sports (maybe not bow), that does not mix well with other recreation activities on public land.

I am one of those rare hunters that see the other side of the argument. Or I should say that I understand their point.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Years back I lived in Owings Mills when younger. I hunted Liberty and would setup my stand spots 10 yards off a deer trail and about 50 - 75 yards off the main trails. Usually in spots where I knew the hikers would come. The pushed the deer away from the main trails and back to me. I used to take advantage of the hikers to push them to me. A couple times their dogs got loose and messed it all up. The dog staring up the tree at me and eventually a hiker asking me "What are you doing?"

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    I have been an avid deer hunter fro decades,, most of it on public land.
    Us hunters have access to the public parks 6 days out of 7,,,,
    Hunting is one of those sports (maybe not bow), that does not mix well with other recreation activities on public land.

I am one of those rare hunters that see the other side of the argument. Or I should say that I understand their point.
    I'm torn on this issue, but lean toward your view. There's been times I would love to be able to get out on a Sunday for various reasons. Bad weather on Saturday, honey do list, running errands, etc. But I also take comfort in taking my kids out hiking, scouting, and just generally exploring the woods on Sundays during season knowing that there shouldn't be anyone out there hunting so there's less risk of an accident and also knowing we're not interrupting anyone's legal hunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom