• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    So, I started my adventure in reloading. Picked up some 223 lake city brass. Ive tumbled clean about 500 of them. I decided to pick up lyman 3 die carbide set for my lyman t-mag turret press. I have over 1500 brass to process, that's why I went with carbide.

I followed the directions in setting the full size resize/ de capper correctly. I got through 200 rounds with no issues, besides a few primers being a bit stubborn coming completely out. On the next round, I guess I didnt use enough lube or grabbed one that wasnt lubed by accident and experienced my first stuck case. I immediately stopped and researched what to do with a stuck case. Read and watched videos online, and figured it wouldnt be too bad.

Instead of jumping right into the 1/4-20 tap I tried a smaller option since I didnt have any allen bolts lying around at the time for that size. Flipped the die, drilled, did the whole nut, washer, bolt trick. stuck case wouldnt budge. Thought, no problem, ill just get a bigger bolt and now use the 1/4-20 tap in the afternoon. When I tapped it, I thought, why not also remove the decap/resize rod. The hole is now big enough that I can slide it out through the bottom. Found the decap pin still intact but the rod bent. On top of that, tried nut, washer, and bolt combo again and threads stripped. :mad54:

Questions are, what are my viable options now? Also, I've read mix reviews about Lyman's customer service and warranty. Anyway Lyman would replace/repair this die/rod under warranty? Or because stuck case is user error im SOL. Thanks in advanced

JailHouseLiar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 26, 2013
    Timonium, Maryland
    Just send it back. Typically ALL die makers will cut you a break. I botched up my fair share. In the future use this lube and never have another stuck case.

519525.jpg

Hornady makes a similar lube and I bought a tub. Looks pretty much the same.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    The Lee universal deprimer blows right through crimped primers. I just did 500 LC 5.56 myself.

The Dillon spray lube helps me not miss any cases. No chance of over lubing and dents either.

I would call / email Lyman, you may get lucky. If not, RCBS will cost a little more, but has a lifetime warranty. Same for my Dillon dies.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Just send it back. Typically ALL die makers will cut you a break. I botched up my fair share. In the future use this lube and never have another stuck case.

519525.jpg

Hornady makes a similar lube and I bought a tub. Looks pretty much the same.

thanks for the response. Ill look into using waxes. I'm currently using Lyman's lube on a lube pad. Can anyone suggest for a spray lube or lube that can be applied to a pad?

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    The Lee universal deprimer blows right through crimped primers. I just did 500 LC 5.56 myself.

The Dillon spray lube helps me not miss any cases. No chance of over lubing and dents either.

I would call / email Lyman, you may get lucky. If not, RCBS will cost a little more, but has a lifetime warranty. Same for my Dillon dies.

Ill probably give them a call during my lunch break tomorrow. But yea, doing a bit more research it seems RCBS's warranty and customer service is fantastic. If I dont get it covered under warranty and run out of ideas on how to salvage the rest of the die, then ill move onto RCBS.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    thanks for the response. Ill look into using waxes. I'm currently using Lyman's lube on a lube pad. Can anyone suggest for a spray lube or lube that can be applied to a pad?

The Lyman spray case lube is always good for me, but you should tumble clean after sizing to get the excess off.

The other option that I use is the Hornady One Shot spray lube, which requires no cleaning after sizing. Works fine, as long as you let it dry before sizing.

I dislike using a lube pad, although the RCBS case lube pad and case lube is pretty amazing.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Ill probably give them a call during my lunch break tomorrow. But yea, doing a bit more research it seems RCBS's warranty and customer service is fantastic. If I dont get it covered under warranty and run out of ideas on how to salvage the rest of the die, then ill move onto RCBS.

You could also look into the RCBS stuck case remover kit. It worked for me.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    You could also look into the RCBS stuck case remover kit. It worked for me.

The stuck case remover is pretty much what I did. The only thing different is RCBS is more expensive and supplies a cup. I used washers and larger nuts to act as spacers. With the threads i cut stripped, there is no way to pull it out with that size bolt. I dont know if I can go slightly larger, or try to cut threads into the entire width of the casing as a last ditch effort.

Since I was able to remove the resize rod, I was contemplating I could punch out the brass from the top. But, finding a punch that is exactly the same size as the case mouth and smaller than the dies mouth (looking down the top of the die from above) is proving a bit difficult.

Another question, if I do punch it out from above, what kind of damage could I cause the inside walls of the die? Would scratches mess up resizing next time around? or just cause cosmetic marks on brass later on?

My first thing though, is probably to call Lyman and see what they can do. If no go with them, any suggestions here will become valid.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    :lol2: Everybody does it once....once.

You'll learn from this as we all did.:innocent0

I sent mine back to Hornady. They replaced the shattered pin and bent rod. Lyman should do the same. I heard of RCBS doing this also.

It's a common mistake and the manufacturers want you as a customer.:thumbsup:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I get a bottle of Frankford Arsenal spray on lube. If you follow the directions, it works great and you can do a big batch in a plastic bag versus a few at a time on a pad.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A number of people call One Shot - One STUCK. :)

I use Dillon spray lube and have not stuck one with it.

BTW, you do not need a carbide sizing die for doing 1500 rifle cases. 15,000 either. If you clean the cases, and lube them, the dies will last for a LONG time.

1500 .223 is a normal reloading session for me. :)

Carbide dies for bottle neck rifle cases are for production operations.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Called Lyman c/s, was only on hold for about 10 mins, Lady on the phone was very polite. They told me to send it into them and if they cant repair it, they will exchange it for a new one. No mention about having to pay for a replacement. She also said they usually recommend people dont try remove the brass themselves and allow one of their techs to to do the removal process. But, in my eyes, the whole point of reloading is, DIY (until you really do need to seek professional help hahaha) Estimated turn around time, 2 weeks.

Sucks about not being able to use that die for a bit. Lesson learned. Instead of waiting 2 weeks, I think ill use the neck only resize die to continue to de cap the rest of the brass. Then I can continue onto the next step of swaging them instead of waiting 2 weeks. ill keep them in a separate container so i know they arent fully resized.

But thank you everyone for the advice on the lubrication choices.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Fortunately, I've never gotten a case stuck.

I have removed a stuck case from a friend's RCBS die using BreakFree CLP to soak in/around the stuck case, then insert the die (upside down) from inside the press, and used a large pair of Vise Grips to put the squeeze on the case and pulled the case out.

(My friend learned a valuable lesson about lubricating EVERY case!!!)

The case...... .357 Herrett.

Of course, the case was ruined. The dies were fine.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Fortunately, I've never gotten a case stuck.

I have removed a stuck case from a friend's RCBS die using BreakFree CLP to soak in/around the stuck case, then insert the die (upside down) from inside the press, and used a large pair of Vise Grips to put the squeeze on the case and pulled the case out.

(My friend learned a valuable lesson about lubricating EVERY case!!!)

The case...... .357 Herrett.

Of course, the case was ruined. The dies were fine.

I used kroil oil to try and loosen it up before I tapped it for the larger bolt. Not sure why I didnt think of using CLP, especially when it is on the same table as my press is. I did consider somehow heating up the brass and then crushing the walls of the brass to pull it out. But since I called Lyman and they said send it back to them, im just going to do that for right now.

One thing I forgot to add to what Lyman requested from me. Included with the die assembly, I am suppose to include a description of the problem, a copy of my purchase order, if i dont have one the, where i bought it from and approximate date of purchase. All on a full sheet of paper.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Glad to hear that Lyman is going to take care of you here. As for RCBS, their customer service is absolutely unbelievable in my experience. I had a friend who found an old RCBS press (circa 1969) in a shed that I was able to clean up and put back into service. RCBS sent me the parts FREE! I also recently snapped the primer arm on an RCBS Rockchucker press that I've owned for 35 years. Again, a free replacement! This sort of customer service is almost unheard of nowadays. These people are top drawer in my book! And yeah, I've stuck a case in a sizing die. Stuck one once in an expander die too just recently, but that's another story. The RCBS stuck case remover collected a lot of dust over the years, but the one time I needed it, it worked as advertised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom