Story about bad Bass Pro gun buying policies.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I drove an hour and a half to one of their stores that had a scope in stock I wanted. The ******* behind the counter told me I had to take a number and wait like everyone else who wanted to fondle or purchase a gun. I walked out and bought elsewhere, never to return.
    The trick to that is to buy it online and set it for pickup, in and out.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I used to buy a lot of stuff from BP. Not any more. They have changed. If your local to AAco. go to Anglers Sports Center. Much better experience.

Dean5791

Remington Fan
    Mar 25, 2010
    I bought my first 3 handguns at Bass Pro. I didn't know any better at the time. What turned me off was the required purchase of a trigger lock when you wanted a handgun. Even if the manufacturer included its own lock! What a rip off that was!
    I have since discovered a few local gun shops and I can't believe the years I wasted shopping there. They will eventually stop selling firearms, especially in MD. Mark my word.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Happened to me at Cabelas a long time ago when Obama was in office.
    What I had the audacity to do was to find an attractively priced M96 on the same day I was purchasing a Christmas gift.
    A way attractively priced M96 that had to have the wrong price attached to it I found out from a pro staff member who was off that day.
    He clued me in later after I sent my wife to pick the Christmas gift rifle up.
    They started off with letting me know they were going to inform the aft about my straw purchase shenanigans.
    I was a PA resident at the same time, called them on their threat and wound up with both rifles anyway in the end.
    Some trivia motivated gun library scmuck know it all was the negative influence- r.
    Quit buying from them long ago, no surprise they are Bass pro now.
    Plenty of other places to buy guns if your patient enough so dont procrastinate Christmas shopping was LLOE for me.
    If that guy was near Daytona beach there's a nice gun shop over to that boulevard near the racetrack.
    I KNOW THAT PLACE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, in Daytona.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    With a FFL 03 I was able to cash and carry out od Cabelas Boise, rifle or pistol.

When BP bought out Cabelas they changed the policy. Had to ship to a CA BP for the transfer. Pistol was a nickel Savage 32 that I thought was original finish so I went along with it. Shipping was quick to CA but then I was told I had to wait 10 days for pickup. I pointed out that CA law allows cash and carry for C&Rs with FFL03; they checked with their legal who said nope, still a 10 day wait, company policy.

I finished the deal but never again. Bad enough to get f'd by CA's laws on modern firearms; BP's policy made it my being DP'd.

Never again.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I bought my first 3 handguns at Bass Pro. I didn't know any better at the time. What turned me off was the required purchase of a trigger lock when you wanted a handgun. Even if the manufacturer included its own lock! What a rip off that was!
    I have since discovered a few local gun shops and I can't believe the years I wasted shopping there. They will eventually stop selling firearms, especially in MD. Mark my word.
    Pretty sure MD requires a bore lock for handgun purchases. The lock many manufacturers include (e.g. a cable with a padlock) doesn't qualify.

Many places will let you bring your own, but not all.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Can a retail entity violate your Civil Rights?
    Yes.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze? Many times no.
    As an example, Walmart will not sell even a shotgun to an out of state individual. Even if both state and federal laws allow it. Do you have legal recourse? Maybe, but who has deeper pockets and more resources?

rob.mwp

Jul 5, 2023
    Hazard County
    Wife and I stopped in @ Cabelas in Newark to see what they had to offer. Everything was way overpriced.. even down to the cheap ammo (which is what I was after tax free and all) wasn't that cheap. We looked around a little and walked out.

spr75wshs

Native born Shaysite
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 28, 2012
    Saint Marys County, MD
    I live near NAS Pax River. The Dick's Sporting Goods store here is the only one in the Sales District to still have a gun counter and ammo. I worked for them in Illinois from 96 - 05, was The Gun Guy and had a lot of repeat business. Dick Stack's son Ed is the one who led them away from the anglers, hunters and campers that built the business.

Fortunately, there are a couple of local shops who have knowledgeable staff.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom