• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Thinking about getting one of these. Don't shoot 3 Gun but may want to give it a try (on a budget). Does anyone have either of these? There is so much hype on the internet about them both I would like to hear from someone local who has tried either one. I seem to be leaning toward the M3K because of the inertia drive and the loading port has already been opened up, but haven't fully committed to either yet.

Last edited:

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    The Stoeger looks really nice, the only shortcoming being the magazine capacity versus the Mossberg. How does the speed of a gas gun vs an inertia driven gun compare? I have read the inertia guns are more reliable and resistant to fouling.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Has guns require more cleaning than inertia guns. I don't have either, but the stoeger is basically benellis system, although likely not built with as much QC in place. The inertia systems can be a little more picky on ammo; if you get a 3.5" magnum capable one it may not want to cycle low brass target loads for example.

I've had no issues with the 3" system cycling target loads. Running some higher powered hunting loads through it first to get the springs to take their set will help. Cleaning is easier with inertia as there is no gas fouling around the barrel/ magazine tube to clean up. I've found they run longer with less maintaining. Only problem is if you bump the bolt out of battery it will click and not fire. I've only done this intentionally to test it and it has not happened unintentionally.

I do occasionally do the press check with the charging handle (lol) before firing to make sure It is in battery. This is possible with a shotgun.

Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2012
    Sunny Southwest Florida
    I bought an M3000 Compact for daughter to shoot sporting clays and skeet. I tried to use 1oz. Rio target loads in it, and they don't cycle. Most 1 1/8 inch target loads work. Gun has gone back twice, first for FTE and FTF. They fixed that promptly. Second time for FTF 1oz loads. They called me and said the inertia guns MAY not function with all ammo. There are lots of variables, length of pull, size and stature of shooter, how the gun is mounted, etc. I'll just have to be carefull when I buy ammo on sale.

My friend's son has an M2000, which is almost identical to the M3000but doesn't have certain improvements. It has never failed using any ammo. All in all, the 3000 is a good gun for the money.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=198062&highlight=Stoeger+M3K

The OP in this thread literally just went through this and got the M3K.............pop in there and see how he feels about it

wait you are the OP from the other thread................I Tried

That's true. I posted this a week before the other and didn't get any responses so I reposted with different wording. Seems if you end your post with a statement people don't respond. If you end it with a question people are more than happy to help. Human nature I guess. Anyway, I do like the Stoeger and have tweeked the action so it's light and smooth as glass. Still need a tube to be competitive but I'm in no rush on that. Besides I have moved on to my next project a Beretta A300 :D I gotta stay out of the gun shops.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Gas guns are potentially faster and by that I mean that the fastest splits ever recorded are generally conceded to be by gas guns (Browning Gold and its clones, the FN SLP and Winchester SX-2/3) at around .11s (with some .10s reported) but inertial guns are not far behind at around .12-.13s (with occasional dips into the .11s) so its a moot point as shooting that fast in a match is not that easy. New Browning A-5 might be faster but I don't have any knowledge of that. But unless your shooting skills are in the realm of Horner or Jordan or any of the other top 3-gun pros its won't matter. You can buy a Stoeger or a Mossberg shotgun for the price of a barrel only for a Benelli or Browning. When I started I actually sold 2 Browning Golds to fund a pair of Mossberg 930s and I had money leftover to buy more of the 3-gun stuff I needed.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    That's true. I posted this a week before the other and didn't get any responses so I reposted with different wording. Seems if you end your post with a statement people don't respond. If you end it with a question people are more than happy to help. Human nature I guess. Anyway, I do like the Stoeger and have tweeked the action so it's light and smooth as glass. Still need a tube to be competitive but I'm in no rush on that. Besides I have moved on to my next project a Beretta A300 :D I gotta stay out of the gun shops.

Also helps to bump it during the day if you post after midnight so more than a few insomniacs see it

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom