• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you think is a good number of AR15 lowers to have before the ban??

• Only 1

Votes: 7 2.9%
    • 2-4

Votes: 130 54.4%
    • 5-7

Votes: 55 23.0%
    • 8-10

Votes: 15 6.3%
    • 11-15

Votes: 6 2.5%
    • 16+

Votes: 26 10.9%

• Total voters

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Picked up a 6920 before the SHTF; two lowers since. That'll have to do; what with the other stuff I've been packing away, I can't afford to finish the builds . . . that will have to wait until after the Ban.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If you want one or more and have not purchased them yet, then don't wait. Demand for everything regulated, especially ban items, is likely to shoot through the roof around September 1st when procrastinators panic. AR-15 lowers and complete rifles are easy pickings right now. I'll be surprised if that stays that way past August.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I never owned an AR until 281 but I don't like the government telling me what I can't own. So I have one complete AR already, and now am buying parts for my first and only custom build. For me that's plenty. I'd rather invest my money in other things including accessories and other guns than stockpiling a huge number of ARs.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Don't underestimate the beauty of AR modularity, including caliber changes. You might regret it later if you stay in MD and SB281 survives the court battles.

Goateggs

Jan 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    I never owned an AR until 281 but I don't like the government telling me what I can't own. So I have one complete AR already, and now am buying parts for my first and only custom build. For me that's plenty. I'd rather invest my money in other things including accessories and other guns than stockpiling a huge number of ARs.

Me too. Never had the itch until O'Malley told me I couldn't have one. In April I ordered a Noveske lower -- and I was just allowed to pick it up Friday. In the meantime I accumulated all the other components I wanted to round out what I think will be an awesome build -- Geissele trigger, BCM upper, etc. I'm thinking of buying either another lower or a complete rifle before October 1. But then I also want a couple of handguns to round out the collection before I have to start submitting fingerprints, DNA samples, and a promissory note for my firstborn...

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    It sucks that its only a few more months away and O'Malley and the Gestapo will be putting an end of AR15 (well most of them). I've been stocking up on lowers and buying them now before we can't get them anymore. Buying complete uppers and AR15 parts shouldn't be a big issue so I want to have as many lowers as possible.

What do you think is a good number to keep in stock well forever??

All of them!

Actually I have 1 and 1 is waiting on MSP and might get an 80% polymer or two but that is going to be it.

Also, was that you looking at shop vacs in Lowes with a spikes tactical shirt yesterday?

Last edited:

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I have two ARs now and only one lower. I don't have room in the safe for more than three of em. (No, another safe isn't an option) But I'll say 2-4. What the heck, maybe I'll pick up another.

MPDickerson101

MPDickerson101
    Jan 30, 2012
    Gotham City (Baltimore)
    I'd rather have and not need, then to need and not have!

I have "a few" with the idea that "several" will be dedicated NFA, various calibers (5.56/300/ and maybe 50B or 458) and others will be AR pistols. All with the idea that my girlfriend will probably want to commandeer 1-2 for herself after I have done all the work and explained the urgency in getting one for herself before Oct 1. :)

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Never really thought of getting one till mom signed the bill. So next Friday I go to pick up my first one and wanting two more. Also the wife for some reason wants get get one or two. She asked me where can she get a pink one from?

I didn't think of hoarding until the ban. I've bought/ordered 7 at this time. More will come if I don't join a support group or get theraphy

Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010
    The way the prices are coming back down, its hard to pass up knowing they will be gone oct.1.

Brownells had aero lowers for $88 dollars with C&R discount. It was really hard to only get a couple and not 5-10.

wjt1169

Guys, the new improved NorthTech Defense billet lower is in stock right now at Rainier Arms for under $200: http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop%2Fmanufacturer&manufacturer=175

NTD-billetlower-quilt01-1500-B3_zpscc5c1b69.jpg

wjt1169

Sorry for the long post, but thought this information might be important to you all...Info from the Umbrella Corporation Weapons Research Group's FB page:

With the looming deadline for folks behind enemy lines in Maryland we are getting lots of pre-order requests for both forged and billet lowers. During the recent attack on the 2nd Amendment we received a huge volume of pre-order requests as well but because the numbers were so large we refused to consider the option. As a rule we don’t like pre-orders. We’ve seen too many end in disaster or too many customers lose patience during the production cycle. So why are we considering it this time? As much as we’d like for citizens of MD to just move, we know that’s not possible for all. Folks have families, careers, and homes to consider. We can sit by and do nothing or at least contribute to a mass build-up before the buzzer sounds that’s sure to piss off a whole bunch of liberals. But while our next batch of forgings are due sometime in August, there’s not enough time to guarantee delivery in any quantity after machining, anodizing and all the shipping in between. Our billet program is just underway and our monthly capacity is extremely limited so not a huge number will be out the door by October either. That means the only way to ensure MD customers can get Umbrella receivers is to accept orders prior to 10/1. But if we open up orders only to Maryland buyers we’re fairly certain that’s going to upset more than a few folks who have been waiting/trying to get UCWRG lowers.

One thing we learned from our forged receiver fiasco on facebook was that we do not have the office staff available to deal with manually processing a high volume of orders. And our website shopping cart has no mechanism to process partial payments. That means all “pre-orders” would have to be paid in full just like any in-stock item. Depending on the volume of orders received, the wait could be a couple months or longer. This, more than any other, is the biggest reason we’ve resisted accepting pre-orders.

So, even though we aren’t crazy about it, we are going to offer pre-orders on lower receivers up to October 1st for all customers. These will be pre-paid in full so if you are not comfortable with that (and we don’t blame you) please don’t order. If you can it’s better for all concerned to simply wait until we have lowers in stock than to second guess yourself and our delivery dates. Speaking of which, be prepared for the possibility of long waits. We aren’t sure how many folks will be willing to pre-order but the fact that payment will be required in full, upfront, will surely deter a good number of customers. However, if the volume surprises us and overwhelms our projections we reserve the right to end the pre-order early. And held within the pre-orders will also be outstanding dealer PO’s so do not be surprised if you are still waiting for your lower and see that one of our select (and very patient) dealers receives a small batch of forged lowers (currently billet sales are direct through Umbrella only). With that, once you do order, please do not email us asking about delivery dates. We will process, notify, and ship based on when your order was placed. We know customers get anxious and excited while they wait for their products but please, responding to requests for delivery estimates sure does take up an inordinate amount of time. But no matter what the reason, we will fully refund your purchase at anytime without question. People get tired of waiting, circumstances come up where you need money, or your wife looks a little too closely at the credit card billing—whatever the case we won’t holds your funds hostage. Expect the pre-order option to appear on the website very soon.

UCbillet-inbox01-1500-B3_zps60a0d84b.jpg

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Good for Umbrella! Sorta like what Magpul did to help out the citizens of Colorado, Umbrella is making changes in their business procedures to accommodate our state.

FYI another lovely option on their site:

Attachments

• 1ac202f348e2037e78bdb9420de5.jpg
      1ac202f348e2037e78bdb9420de5.jpg
      44 KB · Views: 183

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    At ~$100 per, it only makes sense to buy whatever you think your future needs may be. I'd like to have a couple for me and the wife and at least one per kid. For the price of a decent complete rifle ($800-$1000), you can have 8-10 lowers to build up how you want, when you want. Should you NEED that many....

HotWheelsUMD

Feb 22, 2013
    Northern Balt Co, MD
    Count me among the others who had no real strong interest in an AR until MoM said we couldnt have 'em. I've got one Adcor lower in detention now, probably going to get my name on one more before 10/1.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    At ~$100 per, it only makes sense to buy whatever you think your future needs may be. I'd like to have a couple for me and the wife and at least one per kid. For the price of a decent complete rifle ($800-$1000), you can have 8-10 lowers to build up how you want, when you want. Should you NEED that many....

I've just started researching which lowers I might buy. I thought that each carried a transfer fee as well (e.g. 8-10 lowers might incur $400-500 in fees), unless one got an unfinished 80%. It would of course be fantastic if I'm mistaken and there might be one bulk rate transfer for a bunch of identical lowers.

Anyway, some good suggestions of ones to consider in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom