• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Voodoods

Jun 19, 2008
    Hagerstown
    So I own a pre-ban ar15. I want to buy another stripped lower and make it into pistol. And from what I've read that is A-OK. Not illegal. BUT what I'm trying to figure out is this: nearly every short AR barreled upper I run across is listed as NFA. Maybe I'm checking the wrong sites.

Is it fairly simple to get an 11.5" barrel for a MD legal AR Pistol? Where do you buy them? Its so frustrating, we're made to feel like criminals and *****-foot around these issues.

Also, is there any regulation on NON 5.56 caliber ARs in terms of vertical grips/muzzle attachments etc? I believe that only applies to rifles in 5.56 correct?

Oh one more question (I haven't check on these things for awhile)- are 25 round mags for things like 10/22s illegal now?

Thanks in advance!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    They state "All NFA Rules Apply", so that people have a clear warning that it is a short barreled upper and for use on a SBR or a pistol.

If it says "All NFA Rules Apply" or some other variant of that, or says "For pistol or NFA", you are good to go on using it for a pistol build.

As an interesting side note, your pistol barrel can be any length you want it to be.

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    These guys have it covered, but in short, as long as you do not put a stock on it, its a pistol. You can have any barrel length you wish to have. Sellers noting NFA are just giving you a heads up to cover themselves. They will be happy to sell it to you.

I do not believe you can have a vertical foregrip on a pistol.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    25rd mags are legal to own and use in MD. You cannot buy or sell >10 rounders in MD. But you can go to a state where they can be bought. Buy as many as you want and bring them back with you.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Vertical foregrip:

ATF has long held that by installing a vertical fore grip on a handgun, the handgun is no longer designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand. Therefore, if individuals install a vertical fore grip on a handgun, they are “making” a firearm requiring registration with ATF’s NFA Branch. Making an unregistered “AOW” is punishable by a fine and 10 years’ imprisonment. Additionally, possession of an unregistered “AOW” is also punishable by fine and 10 years’ imprisonment.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    These guys have it covered, but in short, as long as you do not put a stock on it, its a pistol....
    The other caveat is that the lower must be sold to you as an "other" or as a "handgun", NOT as a rifle.

One cannot legally convert an AR-15 rifle lower to be a handgun lower.
    ...You can have any barrel length you wish to have. Sellers noting NFA are just giving you a heads up to cover themselves. They will be happy to sell it to you.
    True.
    I do not believe you can have a vertical foregrip on a pistol.
    True, a vertical foregrip is a NO-GO because that makes it an AOW and it becomes subject to NFA regulation/tax/registration.

Voodoods

Jun 19, 2008
    Hagerstown
    two quick questions- does it need to say pistol or can it be caliber-multi? And can we MDers order more than one pistol lower per 30 day period? I know there used to be a limit on pistols and ARs (1 per 30 day), if memory serves.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If it has a 26"> OAL you can avoid the NFA/AOW issue completely when you put a VFG on it.

I was thinking that, but with a quick search, did not see that referenced.

Only the letter with the quote, which did not say anything about the 26" COAL.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    two quick questions- does it need to say pistol or can it be caliber-multi? And can we MDers order more than one pistol lower per 30 day period? I know there used to be a limit on pistols and ARs (1 per 30 day), if memory serves.
    Multi is your best bet, but that is the caliber making on the lower. There is rarely a rifle or pistol designator on the lower.

Yes, you can get 2 regulated items on the same purchase, but you have to wait 60 days before doing another regulated purchase.

shooter682

Jun 2, 2013
    Lexington Park MD
    Unless you become a designated collector than you can buy as many as you like or until the money runs out. The rule on 26" OAL is for rifles with a minimum of 16" barrel for America here in MD it is 29" OAL with stock extended
    Ie an SBR AR to pass this test has to have a 10.5" barrel and the right stock to make that criteria..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom