• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bama47

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 9, 2013
    Marylandistan
    I have my paperwork in on this beautiful weapon and it certainly does feel right as well as appear to have a near perfect trigger (dry fire only att). I was wondering if anyone here has had any personal experience behind one of these... for the money of an STI, just looking for as much input as possible.

Last edited:

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    I don't directly - I have STI Spartan V - feels and shoots like a dream.

Great form fit function - definitely a keeper

I took 4 handguns to KY in May and my STI was the favorite of everyone to shoot.

The shadow has a good reputation - I am sure you will enjoy it.

Just in case you didn't know STI forum is a good one with an STI representative that is a regular and makes sure everyone is taken care of.

bama47

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 9, 2013
    Marylandistan
    Thank you. Great feedback and information. Mega dittos.

As for hairba111.. don't be a douche man - I said I have my paperwork in- and in this marvelous state, that means I don't have the firearm yet. Outside of that, google your own images.

Last edited:

JCarlton81

Oct 13, 2012
    Severn
    I have an STI Ranger II and it is my favorite 0f nine 1911s. The quality is superb and the trigger is Perfect. Good Luck with yours.

bama47

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 9, 2013
    Marylandistan
    Thanks for answering. I initially found some bad reviews on the Shadow relative to FTF and not going to full battery, etc. I had some people tell me that those reviews are likely coming from people that are limp wristing the 1911.

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    Thanks for answering. I initially found some bad reviews on the Shadow relative to FTF and not going to full battery, etc. I had some people tell me that those reviews are likely coming from people that are limp wristing the 1911.

I would agree with limp wresting - on my last KY visit my wife shot the four handguns.

She was excellent with all until the Kahr CW9-FTF - small handguns can be harder for some to keep a stiff wrist and still have a non-tensed grip.

After I pointed out what happened-limp wrist - she was good to go - KY raised- better shot than me.

Seems I read somewhere that STI and RIA share a lot of certain parts and RIA even builds some STI guns for them using STI approved parts. Does this make them unpopular? I guess it all depends. Some people love RIA and some people love to hate them. I have a RIA 1911 in my safe so I guess I'm one of the ones in the like column...lol. Get the gun home clean it, lube it, and shoot it. If you like it that's all that really matters to begin with, never sweat the small stuff.

Are STI 1911's really this unpopular? Should I reconsider this expensive purchase?

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    STI makes a good gun. As long as it is all milspec you can always replace a few parts with something like a few Wilson parts and have a really good gun.

Kyletx1911a1

Jun 11, 2013
    Texas
    Seems I read somewhere that STI and RIA share a lot of certain parts and RIA even builds some STI guns for them using STI approved parts. Does this make them unpopular? I guess it all depends. Some people love RIA and some people love to hate them. I have a RIA 1911 in my safe so I guess I'm one of the ones in the like column...lol. Get the gun home clean it, lube it, and shoot it. If you like it that's all that really matters to begin with, never sweat the small stuff.
    sti is built rigbt up the road from me in georgetown tx. Ria only does the frames, all other parts, are manufactured by sti. All the way down to fit and finish. A friend has over 90+ 1911s
    And he loves his STI, his wife has two for her edc. Dont sweat it. Lifetime warranty, my next one will be a sti..
    Good choice!!!

JCarlton81

Oct 13, 2012
    Severn
    The STI Spartan is manufactured under license in the Philippines, so they may very well be produced in the same factory as RIA. The Spartan is similar to the US produced model (The Trojan), just mass produced out of country to reduce cost. I am pretty confident that every STI except for the Spartan is manufactured in there Semi-Custom shop down in Texas.

Also, it is not that STIs are unpopular they are just produced in small quantities and there for harder to get ahold of; so fewer people own them. Matter of fact it took me about 10 months to find mine at a reasonable price, but it was well worth the cost and the wait.

bama47

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 9, 2013
    Marylandistan
    Thanks a ton guys. I feel much better and happier about it all. Maybe it was the price tag - $1,395. But as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Being produced in small quantities along with the quality they are produced at makes me feel comfortable that an STI is only likely to increase in value in the years to come.

But above all that, I shouldn't have worried because that 45 kept whispering to me "I'm home" when I have it in my hand! Very comfortable; weight, feel, grip... and the trigger is amazing!

bama47

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 9, 2013
    Marylandistan
    Well I have paid off my new baby in full. However, without my paperwork being back yet - all I can do at this point is have conjugal visits!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom