• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Spent years in light infantry units. Used a poncho tied off to a tree, had to be no higher than my knee. Hook a corner to the tree and the other 3 sides to the ground, no ridge to it like a tent. Bungee cord to the hood of it to hold the center up a bit. If put in a good location they are hard to see. Most tents are too high and regularly shaped. Put a little brush against the poncho "hooch" if needed for extra camo. Used a white gas stove to heat food/water (was with 10th MTN) for a bit during the day, nothing at night. Smoking is a no-go of course.

Then, act like your life depends on NOT being seen or noticed and it's all good:D

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Spent years in light infantry units. Used a poncho tied off to a tree, had to be no higher than my knee. Hook a corner to the tree and the other 3 sides to the ground, no ridge to it like a tent. Bungee cord to the hood of it to hold the center up a bit. If put in a good location they are hard to see. Most tents are too high and regularly shaped. Put a little brush against the poncho "hooch" if needed for extra camo. Used a white gas stove to heat food/water (was with 10th MTN) for a bit during the day, nothing at night. Smoking is a no-go of course.

Then, act like your life depends on NOT being seen or noticed and it's all good:D

Like this?

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013

+1 The military gear suppliers still offer the really long OD green bungees just for this use. Some 550 cord can be used for tie offs that you don't want to stretch. Angle it so rain runs off of it then drains away and not runs under the tarp. This is much more preferable to a tent weight wise. Sil-tarp makes a grey colored tarp that blends in with areas with lots of rocks such as above the tree line granite areas. Not too many of those types of places around here though. When dealing with lots of mosquitoes one can use the following product with a sleeping bag under the tarp. http://www.rei.com/product/777771/rei-bug-hut-1-pro-shelter I've never had the opportunity to use one of the new advanced type of hammocks but they seem really useful for setting up in less traveled locations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom