• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • airborneRN

Jul 26, 2012
    Are there any other MDS' that stealth (dispersion) camp?

I've recently, heard of this concept and started scouting out areas. I did trial run locally (Montgomery county) and enjoyed it. I used a hammock and tarp and set it up low to the ground. It was just an over nighter but took a decent amount of prep time.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Kid is almost old enough that we can primitive camp... last time I did it was in Blackwater Falls years ago. You could just drive off down one of the dirt roads on the side of the canyon and pick a spot, since it is National Forest. Took showers in one of the smaller waterfalls.

Personally I prefer tents to hammocks, especially when dealing with mosquitos or more than one person.

airborneRN

Jul 26, 2012
    I have a mosquito net on my hammock.

Anyone have any tips on not getting detected? Dakota firepit, walk on hard surfaces, not break vegetation, etc?

BeerHunter

Don't ReMember
    Feb 13, 2013
    SoPROM
    Hammocks are much better than tents as long as the weather is good.

I've weathered some pretty nasty weather in my hammock (great rain fly integrated mosquito netting, etc.) in both hot and cold climates, including snow. Haven't slept on the ground for several years now and don't plan to again, if I can help it!

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    I slept in a hammock once, on an overnight hunting trip, up at Green Ridge State Forest. Everything was all right, till I heard a four legged animal slinking around our campsite at night --- I was afraid that it was going to come over an bite me on the ass.:lol:

BeerHunter

Don't ReMember
    Feb 13, 2013
    SoPROM
    Yeah, I joke with the group I camp with that I sleep in a bear taco! But a tent isn't any more or less protection from a bear than a hammock. I just try not to make my hammock very attractive for a bear to investigate but it sure would be a scary moment if/when one ever does!

I did have a dear get curious on Big Munson Island in the Florida Keys this summer. They have no predators there and will walk right up to humans. Darned thing woke me in the middle of the night nudging the bottom of my hammock out of curriosity.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Anyone have any tips on not getting detected? Dakota firepit, walk on hard surfaces, not break vegetation, etc?

Follow game trails, if on foot. They already made a pathway for you through the brush (the denser he better). Run a cold camp (no fire).

Stay away from swampy areas, they make for a miserable experience. Friggin misquitoes large enough to sound like helicopters in the dark.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Like a stupid oaf, that same night I slept in a hammock...I placed two squirrels that I shot that day, underneath a large rock --- thinking that they would be safe --- turns out, both of them were gone by the next morning.

I prefer a tent to a hammock, because I can have an better advantage for reaching my unloaded {Green Ridge outlaws loaded firearms in camp --- don't know about loaded crossbows} shotgun or pistol, with ammunition located nearby.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    I really want to try backpacking someday, but the reality is that it can be unsafe for women alone to do such things. So I don't know if I ever will.

Reality bites. :sad20:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Stay off the trails.
    Walk just below ridges(don't ever skyline yourself).
    Creek beds are great travel routs(beware of foot prints in the mud though).
    Leave your machete at home.:innocent0

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I really want to try backpacking someday, but the reality is that it can be unsafe for women alone to do such things. So I don't know if I ever will.

Reality bites. :sad20:

Take a long fido.

Dog training is an exception in 4-203, to keep a handgun handy.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I've weathered some pretty nasty weather in my hammock (great rain fly integrated mosquito netting, etc.) in both hot and cold climates, including snow. Haven't slept on the ground for several years now and don't plan to again, if I can help it!

I too hammock camp. Once you're off the ground, you never want to go back. I sleep better in a hammock than on the ground or even at home.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    tvblog.png

The three rules of jungle combat. Don't be smelt before your heard. Don't be heard before your seen. Above all, don't be seen.

I'd like to try a hammock to see if I can sleep in one. Tent campers like flat ground. Flat camp sites are used again and again and may be well known. Steep rocky areas probably won't see much traffic after dark. I dislike that so much camp gear is fire red or neon green. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tharper429

Latest threads

Top Bottom