Attachments

• IMG_1343.jpg
      IMG_1343.jpg
      113.5 KB · Views: 1,105

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The hotter the round the better with 22 LR 1911 conversions. The rails should be polished and not too tight. Additionally, a high shelf mag catch and clipping a mainspring a coil and a half for dedicated 22 LR use will help. I used to keep an assembled mainspring housing with the clipped mainspring in with my 22 conversion.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Fired 23 shots without a hitch yesterday! Looks like the "drop-in" barrel isn't aligned perfectly so while the frame is being finished (Alumahyde II was used yesterday so I have 7 days to wait) I'm going to address that.

Was shocked that my slide, barrel, extractor, and bushing from Sarco just dropped right in perfectly with zero dressing. Will require some minimal work on the barrel to get it to line up straight but overall wasn't as bad as I thought.

The caspian / wilson combat drop-in that I've purchased will take some work though.

chompers

Nov 8, 2012
    I finally got a range day this past weekend. Only had one mag related malfunction where the last round jumped out on a mag with a flat follower. I took 3 types of ammo and 3 types of mags.
    Ammo: winchester white box, Wolf, Federal aluminum.
    Mags: Sarco, MecGar, Generic with hybrid spring followers. The hybrid followers don't have dimples on them and could probably be improved if I added them.
    range_day_45.png

finished_1911.png

For those new to the thread, I started with the Sarco mil spec build kit.
    I purchased an STI skeletonized spur to replace an issue with the sarco spur.
    I swapped the arched main spring housing for the sarco flat housing.
    Moved the STI spur to the 22lr and used the sarco skeletonized
    Strike industries grips(PX-09)
    Misc Remington beavertail from ebay.
    Remington trigger(REMF404136)
    The slide and parts are cerakoted graphite black
    The frame is cerakoted satin aluminum

I also took along a dedicated frame with the GSG 22lr slide that I was originally going to co-host on my first frame. That worked great while I was sticking to the M22. When I tried out 3 other lower velocity types, It wouldn't cycle as well. I might lighten the main spring a hair now that it has a dedicated home.
    range_day_22.png

I'll give more details on this frame in the next post.

Last edited:

chompers

Nov 8, 2012
    This will answer some questions some people have about the viability of test frames as functional frames. The 22lr host frame was actually running on one. After seeing the one with the trigger cut off earlier in the thread, that's what I was expecting to work with. As it turns out, it was even better than that. It wasn't perfect though.
    This is the good frame. Note the distances on the north east and south around the mag release.
    good_frame.jpg

On the test frame it's more north
    test_frame.jpg

Using the Sarco release, the 22 kit mags would seat too high. they'd lock in with the slide off, but on, they'd pop free. I ordered another release to lower the catch shelf on. Turns out i didn't have to modify it at all. Here are the differences.
    2015-05-08_releases_side.jpg

I was planning to take the sarco and basically file down the flat part of the ramp to make it into the top one in the picture. The mags locked in perfectly
    2015-05-08_releases_top.jpg

If you run into issues with the Sarco releases, consider this in addition to my other approach a few weeks back.

Based on my success, a coworker decided to try his luck. He didn't do quite as well but he should be able to work something out.

Obviously the trigger is cut off. Not seen is the ejector pin hole which actually cut into the mag well.
    t1.jpg

this one has the grip holes overdrilled. Some jbweld steel putty with the bushings mashed in it aught to take care of that. The mag release hole is the opposite of mine and is too low. The higher shelf mag release should make that work just fine. EGW makes a higher shelf one if that doesn't work.
    t2.jpg

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD

finished_1911.png

For those new to the thread, I started with the Sarco mil spec build kit.
    I purchased an STI skeletonized spur to replace an issue with the sarco spur.
    I swapped the arched main spring housing for the sarco flat housing.
    Moved the STI spur to the 22lr and used the sarco skeletonized
    Strike industries grips(PX-09)
    Misc beavertail from ebay.
    Remington trigger(REMF404136)
    The slide and parts are cerakoted graphite black
    The frame is cerakoted satin aluminum

Looks great, especially the satin cerakote on the frame!

yanni4411

May 31, 2015
    safe?

I didn't read the entire thread but I keep seeing people say they are using the aluminum 80% to build .22's..?

I built a 1911 in .45 with a aluminum Stealth Arms 80%, is it safe? I have fired it more then hundred times and I don't see any issues.
    I got a used 80 series slide on ebay and the parts kit from sarco.

Attachments

• IMG_1937.jpg
      IMG_1937.jpg
      89.7 KB · Views: 622

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Anyone have any luck cold blueing one of these?

I used Alumahyde II on one of the frames, but on my other two I wanted to blue... so far Birchwood and Shooters Pro Solutions didn't blue them. Any other finishing options?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom