• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chompers

Nov 8, 2012
    Did a bunch of sear measurements on mine and his.
    STI: .460
    Fresh Sarco: .466
    Stoned one sarco down to the min of .450
    Using his stock hammer, none of them would still lock back all the time. The .450 would lock back if you racked hard or from the back with some downward pressure.
    Using any of the sears and the other hammer and there were no issues. here is a pic to illustrate what I mean when I say the sarco hammer is a shallower angle. They are lined up on the hooks. Doing so has the sarco hammer back .091 from the STI face. You can also somewhat see the sarco hammer only receiving slide contact on half of its face.
    hammers.jpg

chompers

Nov 8, 2012
    My kit was the GI kit, item C45097
    On a different note, I also bought the Wilson Combat 2-piece guide rod since I also picked up the GSG 22lr conversion slide. Makes the swap a piece of cake since the slide comes off without needing to disassemble it.
    slides.jpg

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    So has anyone built one using the tactical frame? Mine should be here tomorrow and I placed another order for a commercial sarco kit.

I purchased raw tactical frames, solely for the reinforcement on the dust cover. i plan to jig em up on sunday or tuesday.

Your last commercial kits from sarco were pretty much drop in?

mhemling33

May 7, 2013
    Forest Hill
    I purchased raw tactical frames, solely for the reinforcement on the dust cover. i plan to jig em up on sunday or tuesday.

Your last commercial kits from sarco were pretty much drop in?
    I'll let you know about the sarco kit later today when I build the tac frame.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    I received the Sarco kit today. The kit seems identical to the RIA one I bought for double the price. The only thing different is the barrel.

2015-04-07%2016.16.34_zpsyotpgk0d.jpg

2015-04-07%2016.16.03_zpssoh9r4rq.jpg

Now do you think I should confront the guy that sold me the RIA kit? I paid with paypal and did the 3% for buyer protection just in case something went wrong.

Have you confirmed if it is a sarco kit?

mhemling33

May 7, 2013
    Forest Hill
    Have you confirmed if it is a sarco kit?
    No I haven't yet I was planning on doing all that today when I built the second one but ups was running later then usual with the tactical frames. Not enough time before the big boomer shoot at freestate tonight. I'll probably do it tomorrow, as of right now my guess is that the sarco kits might be ria seconds.

mhemling33

May 7, 2013
    Forest Hill
    Headed to the big boomer shoot now! I'll be wearing a black shirt with "vans" written in red, and a grey hoody. I am bringing my 80% 1911 along with a couple unfinished frames if anyone wants to see what they are like. NO I am not selling them they are mine!
    I also brought a sarco parts kit

Unodeuce

Feb 22, 2013
    Rising Sun, MD
    Would like to have checked out the kits, but too many things going on tonight. Plus have to get ready to go to a charity sporting clay shoot at Hopkins Game farm tomorrow. Guess will just have to keep checking out the threads here. It has been very interesting, thanks to all that have been contributing.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I was just using some cheap federal 230 grain aluminium case. I put about 200 rounds through it this morning and again no issues other than one mag locking the slide back before loading the last round.

Probably bullet bump. Put a little divot in the slide stop where the detent would be and that will stop that. My nine was doing the same thing with aluminum case Federal...only that load. The divot eliminated the premature lock back.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    I found this thread and post on the northeastshooters site:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/578-1911-Assembly-amp-Parts-Links-Step-by-Step

Here is the most amazing tool you can find, to help you understand exactly how the 1911 pistol works. This animation, is the kind offer of Dave Skinner, the owner of STI. Click on the link below, a new window will open, in which an animation will be loaded. Use the check boxes on the lower left edge of the screen, to hide/unhide the various parts, of the pistol, while you watch it cycle. You can hide or reveal various parts, so you can focus on that particular part you want.

You may also change the background color from white to black, hide or show the parts selection menu and specify if the pistol will use a normal guide rod or STI's Recoil Master.

http://www.m1911.org/loader.swf

Please note that there is one little mistake on the animation. It shows that the slide does not start to move until after the bullet has gone out of the barrel. This is not correct, the slide starts to move the same moment the bullet starts to move.

Hopefully it helps anyone doing a 1911 build understand how the parts work together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom