• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Aftermath of the truck over the side of the overpass on I-95 (from Facebook - photographer unknown)

Attachments

• 15621926_10154409169713773_8563305086886131215_n.jpg
      15621926_10154409169713773_8563305086886131215_n.jpg
      102.7 KB · Views: 321

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Just saw the video. If I would have left for work 5 mins earlier that would have almost fallen on my head. I take the 295 south exit off 95 right after the tunnel.

I was wondering why I was stuck in the tunnel for 2 hrs

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Temperature is steadily rising.
    It's supposed to hit 50 degrees around 2:00 AM.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Oh sure... you post this AFTER I checked in early this morning and then headed out... :lol2::lol2::lol2:

It's Saturday... we hunt... weather no matter, so... I headed out about 4:30 to take the dog out, it was barely spitting and just rain, not enough on the ground to make it wet yet. Load up my gear and headed out from the Park about 5:15, it was light rain now and I did notice a couple slippery spots, but the roads were fine. Stopped for gas and a Sausage McMuffin on the way... had I not done that, I'd have been okay, but..... I needed gas and I was hungry!

Headed down to 50W, traffic moving about 50, no issues (not much traffic at 5:30 on a Saturday morning usually. About Parole, maybe the entrance from Rowe Blvd, a County police cruiser enters alongside me, so I let off the gas a bit and let him go out in front (he seemed to be in a bit of a hurry, or at least entering the highway quickly). We both take the 665 exit to head towards Riva/2. All is fine as we are both going slowly (relatively speaking) til we get about half way across that damned bridge... I see the cars spun out around the corner (cause I'm in my pickup and can see over him) so I let off the gas, but before I could even get to the brake pedal, I see him start sliding down the road towards the Jersey Wall on the inside of the bank of that curve. Too late...we both are on the ice and luckily, we both come to a stop about 20' apart, both slid up tight against the Jersey wall on the left, so... we gotta climb out the passenger side.. remember the part about loading all the gear in my truck? LMAO

I spent about 15 seconds sticking the truck in low 4wd and see if I can move, which I can, but only against the jersey wall, ain't no 'climbing' outta this one so I put the truck in park. About this time a car comes up behind me (first car behind me since we slid out) and finds the ice a little sooner than we did, slides down against the barrier and right into the back of the truck, going pretty slowly. As luck would have it, my hitch was on as I've been hauling a trailer a bit lately and he smacked into that straight on... can't even tell he hit it on my end.. lol (note to self: leave the hitch on all winter long, it probably saved me!)

About this time, the next car to come around the exit happens to be a beemer and he's comin in a bit too hot (about 20mph when he hit the ice and lost everything. Watched him slide past my right front corner and miss it by inches.. only a few, it was really close.. lol Sadly, the car just in front of me was the AA Co police cruiser, which he had just exited and was trying to skate uphill (wasn't gonna happen even on foot) from his car as the beemer took on it's right rear corner with the driver's side door of the beemer, broadside. It didn't turn out well for the beember, air bags, the whole 9 yards, but the driver was okay... car, likely totalled. The police cruiser is one tough SOB, let me tell ya!

By this time, the ice has crept all the way back across the overpass bridge and the cars coming onto the bridge were sliding out back there and we were now in the clear, nobody else was gonna get past all of them in a few minutes.

So far, no apparent injuries, most were going pretty slow and just slid down into the jersey wall with a little bumper car along the way.

The guy that slid into me was a postal carrier, nice guy, we talked for a while, he had several guns stolen a while back and he shared that story (well, I was wearing camo as I was on my way to go goose hunting and my truck's rear window leaves no doubt that I am a gun guy. The first question he asked me was if I had a semi-auto handgun, as I have the MDS Glock and a few other notable stickers... LMAO).

Now it get's good... by now the AACo police has been on the radio and they have blocked off the exit ramp at Rt 50. A couple salt trucks appear down there by roadblock... Wait.. did I mention the 8 state road salt trucks all sitting on the side of Rte 50 as I headed down earlier? They had done nothing to treat those overpasses beforehand, they were waiting for all the commotion to start.... wth... okay, rant over.. Karma kicks in..

Eventually one of the salt trucks makes it's way slowly up the ramp (probably enough room to get by most of the vehicles, cause most of them are all on the inside wall at the bottom of the road incline)... this should be your first clue.... well, it wasn't apparent enough so we watch this salt truck, yellow lights flashing away, head up around the turn, past a few spun out cars and onto the bridge... as soon as he hit the bridge he went downhill too, right into two little cars both up tight against the jersey wall. Opened one of them up like a canopener... yes, of course he had a plow on the front too...

All in all, there were no injuries, no ambo's req'd but it took about 3 hrs to get the road salted (hint... running a salt truck backwards across an icy road is a FAR more effective way to salt an icy stretch), all the cars towed that needed to be towed, before I could even get back in my truck and drive away. No damage to me, except my alignment got whacked a bit, the wheel is off an hour now, it was fine before. I was gonna take it over to my buddy's shop anyway as I have a bit of a creak like a ball joint or tie rod end (which seems to have gone away since the morning shenanigans) that I need him to take a look at... I'll get r realigned at the same time.. lol

Came home after that, the guys hunted til noon and got a bunch of geese, but I was soaked and cold, as I didn't have any of my hunting clothes on when driving, just threw a jacket on to climb out and stand in the icy rain for a few hours, so I headed back home and cracked a beer and got the fire going again...:lol2:

notfast

Sep 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    I drove from Bel Air to Cockeysville between 530-6am this morning with no issues.

The roads got REALLY bad between 7-8am. Before 6 wasn't much of a problem until hitting 83 N.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    That whole section where the tanker bought it is a raised highway so froze pretty early.

I imagine there's gonna be a lot of blame flung around like poo in the next few days about how incompetent the governor and SHA is.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    It was pretty apparent, with below freezing temps, very cold surfaces on overpasses and bridges from the past couple of days and nights, where there is no land mass below them, that it was gonna get dicey once it rained enough to create enough ice thickness to impede traction. Had I not stopped at McD's drive-thru, I likely would have passed around that exit with no issues this morning and it was on hard land from there on out.. (except the Riva Rd bridge over S River).

It was about 5:40-5:45 am this morning when it iced up on that overpass in Annapolis.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Oh sure... you post this AFTER I checked in early this morning and then headed out... 2:2:2:

It's Saturday... we hunt... weather no matter, so... I headed out about 4:30 to take the dog out, it was barely spitting and just rain, not enough on the ground to make it wet yet. Load up my gear and headed out from the Park about 5:15, it was light rain now and I did notice a couple slippery spots, but the roads were fine. Stopped for gas and a Sausage McMuffin on the way... had I not done that, I'd have been okay, but..... I needed gas and I was hungry!

Headed down to 50W, traffic moving about 50, no issues (not much traffic at 5:30 on a Saturday morning usually. About Parole, maybe the entrance from Rowe Blvd, a County police cruiser enters alongside me, so I let off the gas a bit and let him go out in front (he seemed to be in a bit of a hurry, or at least entering the highway quickly). We both take the 665 exit to head towards Riva/2. All is fine as we are both going slowly (relatively speaking) til we get about half way across that damned bridge... I see the cars spun out around the corner (cause I'm in my pickup and can see over him) so I let off the gas, but before I could even get to the brake pedal, I see him start sliding down the road towards the Jersey Wall on the inside of the bank of that curve. Too late...we both are on the ice and luckily, we both come to a stop about 20' apart, both slid up tight against the Jersey wall on the left, so... we gotta climb out the passenger side.. remember the part about loading all the gear in my truck? LMAO

I spent about 15 seconds sticking the truck in low 4wd and see if I can move, which I can, but only against the jersey wall, ain't no 'climbing' outta this one so I put the truck in park. About this time a car comes up behind me (first car behind me since we slid out) and finds the ice a little sooner than we did, slides down against the barrier and right into the back of the truck, going pretty slowly. As luck would have it, my hitch was on as I've been hauling a trailer a bit lately and he smacked into that straight on... can't even tell he hit it on my end.. lol (note to self: leave the hitch on all winter long, it probably saved me!)

About this time, the next car to come around the exit happens to be a beemer and he's comin in a bit too hot (about 20mph when he hit the ice and lost everything. Watched him slide past my right front corner and miss it by inches.. only a few, it was really close.. lol Sadly, the car just in front of me was the AA Co police cruiser, which he had just exited and was trying to skate uphill (wasn't gonna happen even on foot) from his car as the beemer took on it's right rear corner with the driver's side door of the beemer, broadside. It didn't turn out well for the beember, air bags, the whole 9 yards, but the driver was okay... car, likely totalled. The police cruiser is one tough SOB, let me tell ya!

By this time, the ice has crept all the way back across the overpass bridge and the cars coming onto the bridge were sliding out back there and we were now in the clear, nobody else was gonna get past all of them in a few minutes.

So far, no apparent injuries, most were going pretty slow and just slid down into the jersey wall with a little bumper car along the way.

The guy that slid into me was a postal carrier, nice guy, we talked for a while, he had several guns stolen a while back and he shared that story (well, I was wearing camo as I was on my way to go goose hunting and my truck's rear window leaves no doubt that I am a gun guy. The first question he asked me was if I had a semi-auto handgun, as I have the MDS Glock and a few other notable stickers... LMAO).

Now it get's good... by now the AACo police has been on the radio and they have blocked off the exit ramp at Rt 50. A couple salt trucks appear down there by roadblock... Wait.. did I mention the 8 state road salt trucks all sitting on the side of Rte 50 as I headed down earlier? They had done nothing to treat those overpasses beforehand, they were waiting for all the commotion to start.... wth... okay, rant over.. Karma kicks in..

Eventually one of the salt trucks makes it's way slowly up the ramp (probably enough room to get by most of the vehicles, cause most of them are all on the inside wall at the bottom of the road incline)... this should be your first clue.... well, it wasn't apparent enough so we watch this salt truck, yellow lights flashing away, head up around the turn, past a few spun out cars and onto the bridge... as soon as he hit the bridge he went downhill too, right into two little cars both up tight against the jersey wall. Opened one of them up like a canopener... yes, of course he had a plow on the front too...

All in all, there were no injuries, no ambo's req'd but it took about 3 hrs to get the road salted (hint... running a salt truck backwards across an icy road is a FAR more effective way to salt an icy stretch), all the cars towed that needed to be towed, before I could even get back in my truck and drive away. No damage to me, except my alignment got whacked a bit, the wheel is off an hour now, it was fine before. I was gonna take it over to my buddy's shop anyway as I have a bit of a creak like a ball joint or tie rod end (which seems to have gone away since the morning shenanigans) that I need him to take a look at... I'll get r realigned at the same time.. lol

Came home after that, the guys hunted til noon and got a bunch of geese, but I was soaked and cold, as I didn't have any of my hunting clothes on when driving, just threw a jacket on to climb out and stand in the icy rain for a few hours, so I headed back home and cracked a beer and got the fire going again...2:
    You should have bought lottery ticket before heading home.. ;)

Was gonna head south to shot an idpa match.. woke up early due the dogs needing to go out and do their business.. all ran and slid as soon they hit the wet patch. After seeing my dogs doing ice skating.. I opted to stay home.

Sat my behind on the couch and watched the news. Some pile ups all over the place. 2 deaths this morning due to this ice.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Clearly there were many ice issues on the roads this morning. Very sad there were traffic accident deaths. :sad20: Seems that the MDS members are safe. :thumbsup:

In Deep Creek we watch weather forecasts closely. About 4AM the temps rose and the rain began. With all outside surfaces still frozen, raindrops turned instantly to ice. By 8AM we had 1/4" of ice everywhere. That's what ice storms do. Snow tires? They don't work on ice. But YakTrax do for walking.

Mrs. J was supposed to be at work at 9. I told her that wasn't gonna happen! :nono: By 11 the temp was 48F and the warm rain melted all ice. That 2 hour delay in our day gave us both safer roads to travel. In fact, after sub-zero temps we're enjoying T shirt weather. ;)

Glad folks on the forum are safe. Plan ahead and stay safe. Trying to drive on ice is much different than driving in snow.

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom