• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Powerstroke

Oct 20, 2010
    Fallston
    It was a terrible opening day where I was at, caught two creek chub and not a single trout. No one else was catching them either so I didn't feel as bad. Hopefully the water gets back to normal soon.

terpdx

Feb 18, 2010
    Waldorf
    Drove out to Great Seneca Creek in Germantown early this morning...and it looked like the Ganges River in monsoon season. There was a guy who had been out there since before dawn who said he hadn't received even a nibble. Looks like Mother Nature didn't want me to catch any fish today :(

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I usually go to gorman park, or off of Murray rd in howard county. I used to go salvage mill on gorman road, but not as much. the spots i fly fish, I forgot which closures it is, but its closed one week in march, and i think second week in april. As i understand...Howard county.

Can we use corn in maryland (howard county sections) to fish for trout? I just thought it had to be all artificial flies, but if we can i am going out tomorrow morning with corn....

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    Can we use corn in maryland (howard county sections) to fish for trout? I just thought it had to be all artificial flies, but if we can i am going out tomorrow morning with corn....

I'm not familiar with your area, but the streams (and even certain sections of certain streams) are generally regulated individually. Check the 2014 fishing reg book to be sure.

willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    Ok getting Pissed! Dug some beautiful pencil thick earthworms this morning. I rigged them with a gang hook. Evert time they just kept biting off the ends. Could not get them to take the hooked parts. Any tips?

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I fished at Little Falls today and only caught one small brown trout.The water was fast but almost clear.The Gunpowder was pretty muddy as of yesterday.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Ok getting Pissed! Dug some beautiful pencil thick earthworms this morning. I rigged them with a gang hook. Evert time they just kept biting off the ends. Could not get them to take the hooked parts. Any tips?

Just pinch off a small piece, like a half inch, then thread the hook half way up the length and stick the hook point out of the worms side.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    maybe try a smaller hook too. Thread the worm through the middle in the shape of the hook so when they think they are biting the tail but it's the hook.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hit Deer Creek for about an hour, not much action going on. Water is still pretty high and cloudy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    Dropped the gang hooks and used a small long trout hook. Jammed the worm way up. Third cast grabbed a 12" rainbow. Was unable to land two others.:sad20: Just waiting for the next restocking.

bilbravo

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore (District 46)
    Will I be mocked if I ask if anyone else likes to fish trout with an ultra light spinning combo instead of fly fishing?

Where does everyone go? I'm not looking for your "secret spots", but this will be my first year trout fishing in MD. I'm used to fishing the mountain streams of WV, but was thinking about going to Loch Raven some weekend (very soon, hopefully).

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Will I be mocked if I ask if anyone else likes to fish trout with an ultra light spinning combo instead of fly fishing?

Where does everyone go? I'm not looking for your "secret spots", but this will be my first year trout fishing in MD. I'm used to fishing the mountain streams of WV, but was thinking about going to Loch Raven some weekend (very soon, hopefully).

I prefer the spinning gear. But I do both. Had much more success on the spinning rod last year than the fly rod.

willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    I use a shimano ultra light with quick fire trigger and a 20 year old 6'6 medium light ugly stick with 4lb-6 test. For dragging a worm on the bottom it does the trick.

I use that set up all year, works great with poppers caught crappie, small bass, snapper blues, weak fish, flounder, small cats, even landed a huge snapping turtle on it last year.

I bought the 27 dollar eagle claw fly combo at wallmart this year.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    I used to use my ultralight spinning gear all of the time. I got into Tenkara style fly fishing a year or so ago, and I find that I am enjoying that more than my spinning gear, though there times when the spinning gear is more useful.

bilbravo

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore (District 46)
    I was thinking about getting a medium instead of ultra light, that's what I always used when I would go with my father. I guess I could get both. What are the odds of me picking up something big enough to break the ultra light? I guess with 4 lb test, it would probably break the line first?

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I was thinking about getting a medium instead of ultra light, that's what I always used when I would go with my father. I guess I could get both. What are the odds of me picking up something big enough to break the ultra light? I guess with 4 lb test, it would probably break the line first?

I had a cheap ultralight quantum for 20 years before it finally broke last fall. I pulled in everything from trout to 20 inch stripers on that rod. If you are just trout fishing I wouldnt worry much about it.

bilbravo

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore (District 46)
    I had a cheap ultralight quantum for 20 years before it finally broke last fall. I pulled in everything from trout to 20 inch stripers on that rod. If you are just trout fishing I wouldnt worry much about it.

Do you think if I hooked a bass it would break it? I don't intend to catch bass, but hey -- it happens.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Do you think if I hooked a bass it would break it? I don't intend to catch bass, but hey -- it happens.

I used to catch them on mine. Larger ones will break the 4lb test first. Also depends on the rod you buy. You could probably catch an anvil on an ugly stik without a problem (only a slight overstatement, they are damned hard to break). Check out some of the reviews on Cabelas or on field and streams site to get an idea what to get.

Medium light isn't a bad option, just a little more than I prefer in the river. Might want to go feel them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom