• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    We have tried trimming trees to detur them from coming around as much and going to certain spots around the house. The damn squirrels have been terrorizing my dog for over a year, they chuck their nuts down on the cars in the driveway, they have gotten into the plants, they eat tomatos we grow, today they knocked over the tomato plants and swiped some while they were there. However they have really crossed the line now...they got up on my bike. I left it sitting out after washing it and they found it to be a good idea to climb up and have a squirrel meeting. I assume they, as have I, declared war. How can I bait these little buggers out to get rid of them.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC

Attachments

• funny-pictures-squirrel-had-a-bad-plan.jpg
      funny-pictures-squirrel-had-a-bad-plan.jpg
      46.2 KB · Views: 349

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    .22lr CB longs.... I'm not a fan of poisoning because they will go off and die somewhere only to be eaten by something else. Not much you can do but kill em. Either shoot them outright if the surroundings permit or trap them and drown em. You can buy a have a heart trap or whatever and just drop it in a bucket of water or dispatch them otherwise.

Squirrel doesn't taste half bad either if cooked up right IMO.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    I had an old Crosman .177 pellet gun that would knock 'em dead with a headshot at backyard range with "10 pumps". If I recall correctly those things were pushing 1100fps.

Had a cheap scope on that thing...pretty darned accurate for what it was. :)

My mother chases them with an AirSoft gun now. Won't kill 'em...but they don't like it. The older ones stay on the ground now instead of attacking feeders. The new generations typically need some edjamucation.

If you decide to build a trap, make sure the mesh is sufficiently small...those things are pencil-thin under all that fur.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    .22 CB long work well and are even quieter than most air rifles when used in a rifle with a locked breach and at least a 22 inch barrel.
    I've had to deal with them a few times over the years. I mix peanuts and sunflower seeds as bait and shoot them in the head when they come in for a meal.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    .22 CB long work well and are even quieter than most air rifles when used in a rifle with a locked breach and at least a 22 inch barrel.
    I've had to deal with them a few times over the years. I mix peanuts and sunflower seeds as bait and shoot them in the head when they come in for a meal.

And they make a great meal themselves.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I had an old Crosman .177 pellet gun that would knock 'em dead with a headshot at backyard range with "10 pumps". If I recall correctly those things were pushing 1100fps.

Had a cheap scope on that thing...pretty darned accurate for what it was. :)

My mother chases them with an AirSoft gun now. Won't kill 'em...but they don't like it. The older ones stay on the ground now instead of attacking feeders. The new generations typically need some edjamucation.

If you decide to build a trap, make sure the mesh is sufficiently small...those things are pencil-thin under all that fur.

Still have mine from when I was a kid, it's about 25 years old and still drops them with one in the skull almost instantly with a little convulsing. I think mine only goes like 625 fps but it works just fine out to 25 yards. It is quiet enough that nobody hears it.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    I must have 50 or better that frequent my yard. As soon as it gets a little cooler I'm going to start thinning them out with the 22 cb caps. Then fried squirrel, squirrel pot pie, squirrel with eggs, squirrel and pancakes, squirrel casserole, squirrel kabobs and open faced squirrel and gravy sandwiches.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I must have 50 or better that frequent my yard. As soon as it gets a little cooler I'm going to start thinning them out with the 22 cb caps. Then fried squirrel, squirrel pot pie, squirrel with eggs, squirrel and pancakes, squirrel casserole, squirrel kabobs and open faced squirrel and gravy sandwiches.

How do you feel about shrimp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom