• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I am off next week and may put in a day or two of squirrel hunting (I haven't been out for them in a few years). The little bastiges are all over the place right now. My wife makes a killer pot-pie and I've grilled them up in the past. Looking for something different. Anyone have any good stew or other recipes worth trying?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    man, squirrel is NASTY!!! years back i got a couple and we just boiled them and that was nasty. even our golden retriever spit it out!!!! that said i'm sure there are much better ways of cooking them.

always loved rabbit. pheasant was always a little gamey.

and tonite we had some elk tenderloin, broiled in the oven, YUMMMMMY.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    man, squirrel is NASTY!!! years back i got a couple and we just boiled them and that was nasty. even our golden retriever spit it out!!!! that said i'm sure there are much better ways of cooking them.

Yeah - that's poor prep. They're actually pretty tasty when prepared correctly. We served squirrel pot pie a few years ago during Thanksgiving and everyone loved it. Until we revealed what it was, that is. Then the SIL looked like she was going to be sick after commenting on how great it was prior. MIL and FIL kept eating, though.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    My dad always cooked it like fried chicken, after rolling it in a batter made with flour and milk. Mostly tasted like a slightly nutty, extra greasy piece of dark meat.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I have a pile of dead squirrels just outside my fence. They were getting into the chicken coop and eating the feed. Popped 4 of them today. Hopefully the cleaning crew (fox and raccoons) will cart them off. Squirrels are nasty looking critters. I hate to imagine the circumstances under which I would consider eating them.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    My son went out last night. They will go in the freezer until we get some more then fry them up in flour and House Autry Medium Hot mix.

Attachments

• 3589C0DF-660B-4A76-A139-624DB833FDB6.jpeg
      3589C0DF-660B-4A76-A139-624DB833FDB6.jpeg
      420.6 KB · Views: 79

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    My dad always cooked it like fried chicken, after rolling it in a batter made with flour and milk. Mostly tasted like a slightly nutty, extra greasy piece of dark meat.

Hank Shaws recipe is excellent

:thumbsup: Thanks - Both those are now on the list to try.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've found a few hours in brine has roughly the same effect. A bit of lemon pepper in the brine if I'm grilling them.
    Brine for flavor. Brining or salting can have a opposite effect on meat, tenderizing wise. Especially red meat(which squirrel is not). Butter milk is acidic and will help break down protein.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Brine for flavor. Brining or salting can have a opposite effect on meat, tenderizing wise. Especially red meat(which squirrel is not). Butter milk is acidic and will help break down protein.
    I usually add some apple cider vinegar when brining squirrel for the acidity. Not a pure brine by any means. If overnight soak, the vinegar comes after the brine in the AM.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    As I recall there was an episode of Meat Eater (last season?) that involved squirrel hunting---they always have some good recipes at the end when they cook the kill.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md

and tonite we had some elk tenderloin, broiled in the oven, YUMMMMMY.
    boiled chicken is nasty also

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    As I recall there was an episode of Meat Eater (last season?) that involved squirrel hunting---they always have some good recipes at the end when they cook the kill.
    Squirrel roll ups. This is how I do it. Pressure cooker squirrels for like 30 min, pull meat off, lay out crescent rolls, put squirrel meat, cream cheese and roasted red pepper in middle, roll up, bake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom