• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JayCorleone

MD by way of GA
    Jan 22, 2012
    Boonsboro
    Okay, first turkey outing in MD was last fall. I was in the woods, not somewhere I'd consider ideal for turkey hunting, but somewhere I intend onf returning to.

So, my first time out in MD, I was out with a rifle, I was calling( still trying to figure this out), nd a hen comes darting right infront of me, it was very quick and gone before I knew what was going on.

So from my understnding spring rules are different and I must use a shotgun. I do have a 12,20 nd a 410. Size and setup wise the 410 will be a perfect fit and I'm also the best shot with it. So here comes my questions.

I'd prefer to use the 410, I'm most accuraate with it and I'd be in closer range. But some say the 410 is inadaquet. Can I use it, or should I just get out the 12. If the 410 is ok, what loads??

Secondly, I've used electric calls elsewhere with great success, I understand MD doesn't allow this. What should I get? Where do I start? What kind of call or calls does a beginner turkey whisperer need to begin calling in these birds?

Oh yeh, decoy or not? Price matter? Anything work? Hen or jake?

bruceh

Dec 22, 2012
    Cecil County
    In my opinion---.410 is too small unless you are standing next to the bird---rare. A 12 gauge is perfect but a 20 gauge will work. Go buy "turkey loads"---many companies make ammo with said designation. This will not be like "dove hunting" with multiple shots--in fact just getting one shot will be hard---so a 12 gauge should be tolerable. Decoys work--either kind-- BUT if you use a male bird BEWARE because if someone sees it--the decoy and/or you may be shot. I use hen decoys. I hope that helps.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    In the spring you have to use shot size #4 or smaller. A .410, in theory, will work if you shoot them in the head but the amount of shot is going to be woefully small.

The easiest call to learn is a slate call. Push button calls appear to be, or are advertised to be, easy to use but IMO you need to practice to get a good sound out of them like anything else. Almost all calls except the mouth call or wing bone call are worthless in any kind of precipitation.

bruceh

Dec 22, 2012
    Cecil County
    Sorry--rushing this morning and I forgot to add my "2 cents" on calls.

Hardest calls to master--mouth calls. I think box calls are easy to master. Whatever you use---practice, practice, practice. Go inline and "Google" calling and you will see a lot of good videos. Many are from Manufacturer Reps showing you how to use their product.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    My $0.02...

20 GA will work fine. Killed a few with it as I was bored with my SBE II 12 GA.

Pattern your shotgun(s) in 5 yard increments with different brands & shot sizes from 5-40 yards. Your gun will prefer one over the others. Also, you'll see how easy it is to miss at those distances.

Aim for the throat as the head moves too much.

Buy a good friction call as it will be easier to use with better sound. Roberts Brothers Turkey Calls. They are friends of mine. Their calls have glass on the front & you can flip them to a slate on the back. You get two strikers. One is Purple Heart wood and the other is an aluminum striker to use on the glass in the rain. About $50...well worth the $$.

If hunting on public land, NEVER USE A TOM decoy. Always set up against a tree wider than your shoulders (too stop the shot of an idiot).

NRA & SAF Life Member

I've been practicing with a few mouth calls for a few weeks. I have a Benelli M2 with a new 24 inch barrel and a couple of chokes to try. I haven't been able to pattern it because of all the snow!

Previously I used a Browning BPS and box call. The BPS got too heavy to lug around!

JayCorleone

MD by way of GA
    Jan 22, 2012
    Boonsboro
    Firstly thank everyone for the input and help. I'm a great shot with the 410, I have 2 12gas, both full choke. One 28" and on 32" or 34". I also already hAve a box of turkey loads, so most likely the 12gauge, probably the longer one will get the usage. Gun question solved.

My first ever called in turkey, was without a decoy, it got really close, but it was a hen. I think I will pick up a cheaap hen decoy, one of the ones below 20 bucks.

Calls. My buddy uses diAphrams and I admit the price of them are attractive. I have a e caller I can use to practice and learn the imitate. The diAphrams are cheaap, so likely I'll grab one them, just to try and practice.

Now the boxes and scrapers are more pricey. So what do I do? Box vs scraper. For a beginner. Which will get in the jakes and be the easiest to get realistic, sexy, attractive turkey sounds.

12ga, full choke. Turkey loads (X)
    Cheaper hen decoy (X)
    Just trying to decide what call or calls. Like I said I'll probably get a diaphram to ply with due to the cheap cost of them.
    Thaanks for the help, thanks for any future also!!

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    One major thing to keep in mind...you'll never figure out turkeys.

I'd use the shortest barreled 12 GA shotgun you have. It'll be easier to swing slowly. My SBE II is 24". I've used my son's youth model 1187 20 GA because it is light and very short. (He wanted to lug around my SBE II.)

Some Toms will come into a hen decoy, while others won't. Remember, the purpose of the Tom gobbling is to call the hen to them. So, it's against nature. Don't get discouraged.

Like I said before, Roberts Brothers Calls (friction "scraper" call). When you invest so much time into a hunt, $50 won't be anything to avoid frustration. Also, you have 2 calls in one with glass then slate on the other. Movement (yours) is to be avoided at all costs. So a call that you can flip with your fingers to sound like two hens, is great.

You may be able to use a mouth call like a pro first time, but I've found that most have to overcome the gag reflex. With practice you'll be able to have 3 calls in your mouth, switch between them (only one side works) to sound like various hens.

NRA & SAF Life Member

JayCorleone

MD by way of GA
    Jan 22, 2012
    Boonsboro
    Sounds like very sound advice. I understaand the importance of concealment. I'll try to mimic my e caller and practice. Still leaves a few weeks to get a box caller. The mouth callers are cheap so I figure no risk. Ill pick something else up also, so I have more sound capability.

The ammo I have for the 12ga is rem nitro turkey #5 shot. Appropriate? I'm asuming "nitro turkey" would be. LOL
    Thanks Again!

Both 12ga's, one 32" one 28" I understand why you'd want the shorter one. That's one reason I really wanted to use my410 lol.

I also plan on getting the range finder out and doing some pattern checking.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    what shells you buy for the gun don't matter, its wether or not you take the time to pattern the shells with the guns is what matters. you are just humping air if you don't.

RLaw

Apr 6, 2013
    I'm interested in the notes of caution about public grounds. How packed are they (most interested in SoMD)?

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    I'm interested in the notes of caution about public grounds. How packed are they (most interested in SoMD)?
    same reason to be careful during gun season for deer, retards are allowed to hunt turkey too. use a gobble wobble? if there was a season on turkey hunters, you could bag 3 or 4 in a sit with a gobble wobble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom